EM TuningVolks Autos
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Reesy's Big Turbo A3

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    Subtle!

Does the bottle have a seperate feed for headlight washers, or does it spur off of the pump? And I would also need to see if the s3 bottle would fit the a3, and more importantly have my head examined as to why I am that much of a ponce that I would even worry about it....

And as for the wishbones, are you talking as a salesman or a knowledgeable asn'er?
    Separate pump for headlight washers... can't see why it wouldn't fit... the A3 is the same chassis with crap arches ;P

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Separate pump for headlight washers... can't see why it wouldn't fit... the A3 is the same chassis with crap arches ;P

<tuffty/>
    A rubber grommet and some silicone would sort that...

Doesn't give me a definitive answer, but it helps..

No real need for that

Is it a worthwhile change though, from what I could see the difference were that it looked to be more suited to be lowered that my wishbones and the s3 ones were cast and mine aren't. Is it worth the cost of the upgrade though, as I will be dropping the car in the next month or so...

4th Gear

Status
    Subtle!

And as for the wishbones, are you talking as a salesman or a knowledgeable asn'er?
    I like that!!

Anyway I have the S3 wish bones fitted to my mk4 golf 4motion which is the same chassis.
    Knowledgeable asn'er maybe

Pat

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    A rubber grommet and some silicone would sort that...

Doesn't give me a definitive answer, but it helps..

No real need for that

Is it a worthwhile change though, from what I could see the difference were that it looked to be more suited to be lowered that my wishbones and the s3 ones were cast and mine aren't. Is it worth the cost of the upgrade though, as I will be dropping the car in the next month or so...
    Sorry... couldn't resist ;P

Anyhoo... IIRC the A3's with headlight washers have the bigger tank and should physically fit fine... not sure if there are any different brackets or fixings you need but it should go in no probs and give you 5.3lts of windscreen washing fun...

Not had the S3/A3 wishbones side by side but I am sure there is something in Prawns thread about them... I would check that first as S3 wishbones don't have the ARB mounting point that the A3 ones do as they connect to a bracket on the strut

If they give a wider track then the other thing to be aware of is driveshaft plunge or in this case stretch... you may over extend them and have the shaft pop out of the CV if they pull them too far out... again, I think Prawn has discussed the fitment in his thread...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    Sorry... couldn't resist ;P

Anyhoo... IIRC the A3's with headlight washers have the bigger tank and should physically fit fine... not sure if there are any different brackets or fixings you need but it should go in no probs and give you 5.3lts of windscreen washing fun...

Not had the S3/A3 wishbones side by side but I am sure there is something in Prawns thread about them... I would check that first as S3 wishbones don't have the ARB mounting point that the A3 ones do as they connect to a bracket on the strut

If they give a wider track then the other thing to be aware of is driveshaft plunge or in this case stretch... you may over extend them and have the shaft pop out of the CV if they pull them too far out... again, I think Prawn has discussed the fitment in his thread...

<tuffty/>
    That's fine, I hope to be joining the s3 club, but not for a while as insurance would very much like to take a lot of my money for not a lot in return

I don't think i'd be able to contain my excitement at having over 5ltr's of screenwash for cleaning screens

I will have a chat with the crustacean about his wishbones, but now the question is: are the 2wd a3 and 4wd a3 wish bones different? If they are, this would be the 2nd benefit the tqs has over the 2wd a3, along with planting your foot in the rain and not staying still.

I think that the tqs and s3 driveshafts are the same, but i'll check ETKA tonight, and if so that would eliminate one of the problems..

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    That's fine, I hope to be joining the s3 club, but not for a while as insurance would very much like to take a lot of my money for not a lot in return
    The TQS is a good car mate... a hybrid one of those would be a right sleeper ;P

I will have a chat with the crustacean about his wishbones, but now the question is: are the 2wd a3 and 4wd a3 wish bones different? If they are, this would be the 2nd benefit the tqs has over the 2wd a3, along with planting your foot in the rain and not staying still.

I think that the tqs and s3 driveshafts are the same, but i'll check ETKA tonight, and if so that would eliminate one of the problems..
    Actually... the TQS should already have the S3 style ARB IIRC... don't get too many in so not noticed... this would sort the ARB drop link question...

<tuffty/>

6th Gear

Status
    The TQS is a good car mate... a hybrid one of those would be a right sleeper ;P

Actually... the TQS should already have the S3 style ARB IIRC... don't get too many in so not noticed... this would sort the ARB drop link question...

<tuffty/>
    Thought about the hybrid option, but it's much nicer saying you own an s3, even if they are getting on a bit, to just an a3. And I like the white dials. And the flared arches. And they almost map to what a k03s produces. And parts are easier to get hold of. For now, the tqs is a great middle car, as I don't think 2wd is ideal.

Well I sold my front ARB to Lee172, and the front and rear arb's are the same thickness as the s3, so I would hazard a guess they are exactly the same, negating that issue as well.

How much has Pat been paying you to tell me everything will swap over no problem.... :P

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    ...How much has Pat been paying you to tell me everything will swap over no problem.... :P
    Thats a sound idea... Pat?? ;P

<tuffty/>

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ;1550599
    Thats a sound idea... Pat?? ;P

<tuffty/>
    I'm not saying a thing about money as I always gets myself into trouble

Pat

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pats3poa View Post
    I'm not saying a thing about money as I always gets myself into trouble

Pat
    If you dont like to talk about money, just send them over Pat, I'll tale them off your hands for nothing if it makes you feel better..

6th Gear

Status
    Decided I don't really need to spend the money on changing the wishbones and hubs I don't think, so I will change the front and rear wishbone bushes and i'll change the ball joints while I am there. Am I right in thinking it's the TT ones for the rear and poly bushes for the front, or the other way around? And having seen karl's issues, I think I will just get Audi Ball joints to save the ball ache.

Any better ideas then this, or opinions on other bits that could be changed whilst in that area? the coilies have top mounts on them already, so I will just use them.

6th Gear

Status
    You were all too slow.

I have ordered tt rears and the ball joints after a discussion with the friendly parts man, and I think I have found a local place to do the 4 wheel alignment. Anyone want to come and fit all this for me. I can pay in beer, takeaway and some small change.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    probably a bit late to catch up now, but cast wishbones are well worth while!

Somewhere I've got a pic of the two overlaid, the S3 ones give more camber, and more castor. the hubs are longer in the lower section thus correcting the roll centres, and the steering arms bolt to the underside rather than the stop so reduce bump steer as well

Still, new bushes and everything in your stock wishbones will be a great improvement as well!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    probably a bit late to catch up now, but cast wishbones are well worth while!

Somewhere I've got a pic of the two overlaid, the S3 ones give more camber, and more castor. the hubs are longer in the lower section thus correcting the roll centres, and the steering arms bolt to the underside rather than the stop so reduce bump steer as well

Still, new bushes and everything in your stock wishbones will be a great improvement as well!
    I was recommended them but just couldn't see that they would make that much of a difference on a car that I will only use on the road. Perhaps they would..

Besides I am not dropping the car stupidly low anyway, as my exhaust will ground out before anything else

Status
    it's not about lows dude, it's about geometry in general, changing front end geo can hugely effect the feel of the car.

How can I explain it.....

The best example I could give, is the difference when fitting a bigger RARB.

Driving an LCR with no rear ARB feels very similar to an A3 WITH a RARB if that makes sense? So fitting the wishbones to an A3 with RARB is like a similar upgrade again. Just sharpens up turn in and gives you more feel
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th Gear

Status
    it's not about lows dude, it's about geometry in general, changing front end geo can hugely effect the feel of the car.

How can I explain it.....

The best example I could give, is the difference when fitting a bigger RARB.

Driving an LCR with no rear ARB feels very similar to an A3 WITH a RARB if that makes sense? So fitting the wishbones to an A3 with RARB is like a similar upgrade again. Just sharpens up turn in and gives you more feel
    Oooh. I quite like the sound of this.

As you are the only person commenting, IF i do get the s3 cast wishbones, do I need the s3 hub as well, or will my tqs hubs suffice?

Status
    depends on your ARB setup matey. You can fit S3 cast wishbones to A3 hubs, but the S3 wishbones don't have a thread for the drop link as the S3 drop links fixes to the strut.

Also, if you fit S3 hubs you need S3 track control arms also on your A3 rack, or a complete S3 steering rack.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Might as well just buy an S3
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    depends on your ARB setup matey. You can fit S3 cast wishbones to A3 hubs, but the S3 wishbones don't have a thread for the drop link as the S3 drop links fixes to the strut.

Also, if you fit S3 hubs you need S3 track control arms also on your A3 rack, or a complete S3 steering rack.
    This is the worst thing about the tqs. The bits that are different from the 2wd a3 are not always the same as the s3 and bits that aren't the same as the s3 are not always the same as the 2wd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Might as well just buy an S3
    piss off Fred, you're not helping the situation!

6th Gear

Status
    A pic from the parts man Should have these:

and the ball joints in my possession on Tuesday.. Then it's just a case of getting it all fitted and the 4 wheel alignment done, before I go
    Last edited by Reesy; 21st April 2012 at 21:47.

6th Gear

Status
    Obviously TT on the right, standard on the left.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

6th Gear

Status
    Well, well, well:

Olop rear wiper blade.

Genuine Audi ball joints after seeing the problems Karl had. (With personalized tags I might add )

TT 'jonny' wishbone bushes. These and the ball joints are being fitted along with Dave's tie bars and my KW v1's on Monday.

Major thanks to the parts man, and I am guessing you have tape by the mile as they were more then well packaged up

6th Gear

Status
    They got there quick!

Haha i like to wrap everything well. Have fun getting into them?

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    They got there quick!

Haha i like to wrap everything well. Have fun getting into them?
    Yeah, thanks for the quick postage

Loads of fun, seemed to take forever and made more noise then I was anticipating!

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    seemed to take forever and made more noise then I was anticipating!
    like last night when i was at your mums.

its coming together now. and will feel so awesome when the wishbones and coilovers are fitted!

what about the fmic? dont you have one?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post

its coming together now. and will feel so awesome when the wishbones and coilovers are fitted!

what about the fmic? dont you have one?
    So you broke the terms of the restraining order she got against you?! Crazy man!

Can't wait to get the coilies fitted, and I hope that they will stiffen it all up, much like my mum hoped when you came around last night...

The wishbone bushes and ball joints are being changed because the bushes are fooked and the balljoints will have seen better days. Then 4wa and job's a goodun.

DVLA Say it's Black

Status
    I can confirm... she's a howler

Come on reesy lad lets finally get this thing slammed, how long has it been now??

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by damo.h View Post
    I can confirm... she's a howler

Come on reesy lad lets finally get this thing slammed, how long has it been now??
    I have had the coilies for 1 week

And they will be on 1 week from now.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    I have had the coilies for 1 week

And they will be on 1 week from now.
    *** worse than dave!

6th Gear

Status
    *** worse than dave!
    Surprised you haven't organised a heist for the stuff you thieving mofo!

4wa place recommend changing the track rod ends. Is this just because they are lazy and want nice newly fitted ones on there or is there some merit in me changing them whilst I am at it?

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Surprised you haven't organised a heist for the stuff you thieving mofo!

4wa place recommend changing the track rod ends. Is this just because they are lazy and want nice newly fitted ones on there or is there some merit in me changing them whilst I am at it?
    my guess is coz theyre lazy and want it to be easy as pie when aligning your steering after the wheel alignment.
    tell them to go **** themselves.

DVLA Say it's Black

Status
    I recently had to have mine done. Ony because they where seized to buggery. About £13 a side mate so not a major one if need doing and the steering feels so much tighter.

Status
    You branching out dude?

If so, you spelt it wrong!

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    ^what are they like?

small, hairless, essence of sheep and you were ripped off?

6th Gear

Status
    You branching out dude?

Definitely not mate, them things are horrible! Great brand name though.
    ^what are they like?

small, hairless, essence of sheep and you were ripped off?
    Lol, did you think that one up yourself or Steal it from someone else, ya thieving scouser..

6th Gear

Status
    Ok, if I'm honest. This thread is less like a progress thread and more like an online diary, but meh, i've started it so I shall continue.

Yet another package arrived today:

Thanks to parts man again, he hasn't yet shown that he is annoyed with my constant flow of questions and requests!!

Got to change 4wa now to Wednesday, as I have some boring exhibition to do with work to attend on Tuesday

Boost gauge issue is also sorted, it was only boosting to 10psi because I had used a t-piece with a bung in it as a joiner. Replaced with an actual joiner and the gauge now flies around to 18 or so psi.

A proper update will take place next week, I promise.
    Last edited by Reesy; 27th April 2012 at 12:06.

6th Gear

Status
    Enjoy the wrapping again? Lol

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Enjoy the wrapping again? Lol
    Bought my stanley knife in today to make life easier. I tihnk you do it on purpose personally!

DVLA Say it's Black

Status
    You branching out dude?

Lol I sent him this the other day

Best in the cup form IMO Peanut butter ftw

you still all set for dropping her over the weekend Chris?? No more bloody excuses please!!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by damo.h View Post
    Lol I sent him this the other day

Best in the cup form IMO Peanut butter ftw

you still all set for dropping her over the weekend Chris?? No more bloody excuses please!!
    Works are being carried out Monday mate, but won't be able to enjoy the car until Wednesday because of this *** exhibition on Tuesday

Should feel like a new car, and handle like a race car :cheers: