Reesy's Big Turbo A3

Managed to scare goats/rams that were on the side of the road with a perfectly times NLS...

It's a bit of a faf, but i'm hoping that by catching it early enough, it won't ruin the gasket. bracket will be done in time.

Thread update. Knowing that a gasket had gone again, I spent my Saturday giving the car maxi beans and a few NLS in preperation for another gasket change on the Sunday. I then spent a couple of hours of my Sunday suffering from what felt like groundhog day, changing the gasket again.

From this:

Definitely needed doing:

Oh bol**cks:

The one bolt snapped, leaving half of it in the manifold. Needing the car on the Monday, I did the only thing I could. I left the downpipe off and manifold loose and went in to watch the football.

Back out, did everything up after much swearing and bloodshed. Decided to become one of those people that uses a car to 'Get from A to B' and the car hasn't seen more then about 3 psi since..

On to yesterday. As mentioned above, haven't been boosting the car really as I know it'll kill the gasket if I do.

Upside: 37mpg average over 140 miles I've done this week.

Downside: Some of the most boring 140 miles of my life.

Drove to Ben's yesterday and ended up taking some stuff to the tip in my car.. We decided that the M10 job could be put off no longer and the snapped bolt was the perfect excuse. On the way back to his, noticed the car wouldn't make more then about 7-8psi.. Investigations found this was loose:

Luckily for me, I got to take the Tip, charge pipe, downpipe and turbo off again.

The stud came out with some persuasion from a set of mole grips, and after the chopping down of some drill bits, the M10 conversion was underway. Here's one that was prepared earlier:

The metal for the turbo was similar to a firm cheese, so drilled out easily. After a bit of tweaking, studs were cut and fitted and some impressive welding was done by Ben to get the wastegate back in it's rightful place. Bit more adjusting and the turbo was back on. The rest is pretty standard and it's all back together.

I now just have to find what appears to be a massive boost leak. Neither of us can feel anything blowing under the bonnet, but the car will not boost past about 9-10 psi, and you can hear the air escaping from somewhere as it comes on boost.

Any idea how many gasket changes you've actually done now?

3 I think. Possibly 4. Going to get a bracket put on at some point, but for now the m10 should help a lot. It looks so much more solid and secure, basically how it should have been from the start.

chinese pos stuff?

Turbo? Yes. Clue is in my sig :)

Phil's car spat a wastegate and that was a K04, so maybe it's an A3 Quattro thing..

nls, pops and bangs thing

but you know that

Yeah, I've pretty much given up with NLS. It's negatives outweigh the gains to be honest, there's every chance that my one from last weekend could have done this though, so I think i'll be stopping 100%.

NLS to me seems to just be a bit of an expensive party trick. Reesy have you tried drivin the car hard without using it to see if the gaskets last any longer?!

My thread makes it sound like I use it a lot but it barely gets used at all. I just mention it so I can remember and see if that's caused the issue. With the M8 setup, the turbo was still lifting and causing the gaket issue.

It took a while the first time it was installed so I think a mixture of being able to do everything up very tight as the engine was out and everything being new at the time helped.

Hopefully, once this massive boost leak is found, I'll be able to go back to running some boost and the turbo will stay where it should.

Reactions: s3dave

that was the case of the one that went at inters.. Listening to requests and taking Karl out in the car killed it, but apart from that its the movement of the turbo that caused it to start blowing and kill the gaskets..

I have no idea what NLS is :(

Reesy, you're a questionable man for stopping working on a car to watch football, i thought better of you.

and the wastegate just fell of because..........................

I have no idea, if I knew that I would have tried to prevent it from happening. As said, if it can happen on a genuine K04, it can happen on an eBay turbo.. Sam B said that he welded his up as a precautionary measure as it started getting loose. Perhaps some silicone on it wouldn't have gone a miss.
I have no idea what NLS is :(

Reesy, you're a questionable man for stopping working on a car to watch football, i thought better of you.

Stood in the parking bay of my road having done this job only a few weeks before, I think it was justified.

solid evidence he like to pack extra virgin dairy fudge

Thanks Karlos.

Reactions: Jason.s
I have no idea, if I knew that I would have tried to prevent it from happening. As said, if it can happen on a genuine K04, it can happen on an eBay turbo.. Sam B said that he welded his up as a precautionary measure as it started getting loose. Perhaps some silicone on it wouldn't have gone a miss.

samb did'nt weld it, i did - lmao

sleeve that was not the actual puk

k04 which broek off was phillardo's and nls pops and bangs caused it.
they dont "just fall off on their own"
:p

And it's for this reason, I've declined the offer of on my rs4, engine out to access turbo's makes it seem like a very bad idea.

Reactions: Paradox1, Jason.s and Prawn
GOOD NEWS

for the local shell garage...

Boost is back!

During the week the bumper came off and the front mount pipes were checked over to make sure that none had popped off, no sign of any leaks other then a slight one from the iat sensor.. We were both convinced that wasn't causing a bar of boost to be lost, and it was too late to check anything else.

Ben mentioned last week that the only other thing he could think that it might be was the backbox but that didn't explain the clear sound of boost being lost when I shut off the throttle.. I'd noticed the car felt restricted and sounded quieter so it was decided the backbox must be the issue. Some investigating and driving helped back it off so the backbox was taken off and opened up.

The 'u bend' had completely detached itself and the fibreglass sound proofing was in a thick clump which had pretty much completely blocked the tailpipes. It had caused such a problem it had put a crack in the backbox just above where it joins to the centre section, which appears to be where the air would have been leaking from...

Grinder out to attack Frankenstein's monster, opened it up, cleared the issue, Ben reattached the bend and mentioned again that I need a milltek (I know) stuffed the fibreglass back in and got the welder out again. When it was all welded up, the backbox was reattached. Car was noticeably crisper and louder straight away and after a test drive it's back to normal.

After the motogp today I need to give the downpipe a tweak as its rubbing fairly badly, but apart from that jobs a good 'un.

Reactions: s3dave
Good news chaps. So a miltek it is ;) !!!
No pics of the back box Reesy??

Another Saturday, another day doing bits on cars.

Today's treats for mine included replacing a breather pipe, changing a wheel bearing and an oil and filter service.

Breather definitely needed doing:

null_zpsd392f4ba.jpg

I got the n/a front ready before moving aside and leaving the actual changing of the bearing to Ben, which didn't take long at all. Almost like he's done them before..

New bits

null_zpse55b4f7f.jpg

Whilst backing the car up earlier, we noticed how much the engine pitched.. Whilst under the car assessing why the downpipe was rubbing, the little nut that sits in the dog bone was conspicuous by its absence... Luckily a donor mk4 helped me out with that one so having a dog bone that's actually doing something should make quite a difference.

As it was getting on a bit and bens car still needed a service and brakes bleeding I assumed this was it, only to find Ben removing bits from the engine bay to fit the engine mounts I've had in the boot for weeks.. Just standard Lemforder ones as I like my teeth and don't want to see any loose bolts rattling out of any bits of trim..

null_zps607b985a.jpg

Both sides done in about 25 minutes and jobs a good 'un.

As part of a necessary test on the way home, I didn't get any downpipe knocking or rubbing under full acceleration. Good times. Slight vibration at idle but I'm sure that'll pass.

Wheel bearing verdict: a lot quieter but the other front one probably wants doing too.

What grade poly did you use again? Ride feel solid at the moment?

Which, when i revved the car covered your driveway in foam and smelled exactly like really burnt melted cheese once the pipes got hot.. It has left me with 'wet look' tailpipes though \o/

No news is good news.

Car is a bit sluggish to start but apart from that all is well. Turbo still boosting like a dream, good mpg off boost and very poor mpg on boost, downpipe isn't knocking, rubbing or clonking.

Apart from needing the other front wheel bearing doing, quite a happy chappy.

Good times ahead then! Mounts working a treat? I think I need a set...