EM TuningAH Fabrications
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 151819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
Results 961 to 1,000 of 1235
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Reesy's Big Turbo A3

6th Gear

Status
    I sent them an email which took about 2 minutes. That's all it cost me. I asked them about the revised piston and they said they would send me a service kit out. (I had heard about others getting free kits)

I need to change the spring on mine though, so i might actually have to buy one of them unless anyone else who has bought the springs and doesn't need the others wants some beer tokens..

2. # ADS
    ADS

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    I chewed two different TBs because the WMI ate through the seals and ultimately drowned the electrics inside. One to watch out for folks running WMI! lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    I chewed two different TBs because the WMI ate through the seals and ultimately drowned the electrics inside. One to watch out for folks running WMI! lol
    No WMI here though.. Just the oddity of a snapped wire.

WMI would be nice, but I can't be bothered with the hassle or the ongoing cost.

6th Gear

Status
    postman delivered this today:

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I gave up reading the thread about the revised 007P piston but is it something that I should get? I only serviced my DV 6 months ago but it is the old style piston. Car seems to be running fine so I'm not overly fussed!
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I gave up reading the thread about the revised 007P piston but is it something that I should get? I only serviced my DV 6 months ago but it is the old style piston. Car seems to be running fine so I'm not overly fussed!
    Email them and ask about the revised piston and they should send you out a free service kit, that's what i did

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    Email them and ask about the revised piston and they should send you out a free service kit, that's what i did
    I bet they've had a few of those emails!
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I bet they've had a few of those emails!
    They're not still running the rubber o ring in there are they?

RIP S3dave

Status
    thats the new design Dan
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    thats the new design Dan
    is that a good thing? Watch it disappear into the turbo...

come fly with me

Status
    more reason to service it every year.. hence forge giving away the new piston for free - long term investment for them
    <Jay A3 build thread>

241bhp K03s - R Tech

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    it's a 2 part captive design Dan.

The main piston has a machined groove in the top, which the O-ring sits inside, then the top part of the piston has a corresponding machined groove which clamps the O-ring in place.

Probably only 30% of the O-ring is exposed, with the remaining 70% being clamped together by the 2 part piston.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    So what with A3's blowing up and breaking down with a fair amount of regularity, I thought I best post some A3 related good news.

As the decision has now been made that the Leon will be sold sometime in the near future, I was kindly linked to a manifold on ebay. Long story short, it was cheap, rocketed up in price, I bid and it went no higher. It was a bargain (less than 1/2 price of a new one) doesn't appear to have been used for very long and is in mint condition.

This should make any future tinkering a bit easier and hopefully see some more power out of the setup. The backdraft mani looks like it'll flow very well and I have ordered a stainless flange and oval to round adapter which should arrive today or tomorrow.. Then it's a few downpipe bits and if all arrives as it should, this may go ahead this weekend..
    StaceyS3 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Few more pics:

And my new downpipe

Wind Deflector Trend-setter

Status
    Mmm new manifold/downpipe. Jealous.
    2000 Plate Audi S3 1.8T Santorin Blue - 261.0BHP - 255.1LB/FT on Custom Parsons Performance remap, Forge 007p DV, Red DogBush, Milltek non-res, Lowered 35mm Apex springs, Badger5 TIP/cone filter/heat shield, Powerflex'd, Large FMIC, Relentless Downpipe, Parsons Decat and lots of love.
    On gearbox number 4.
    Further modification to come..

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    downpipe confuses me, this is a trick.

Flange is an odd shape for anything, and the bend it too tight to fit on a quattro. look at the size of the bolt holes compared to the pipe.

Reesy is playing games again.,

Spill the beans boy!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Hes deffo being the secret modder again. Throwing us off his sent with 'new downpipe'
    StaceyS3 likes this.

6th Gear

Status

Reesy's Big Turbo A3

Could it be a screamer pipe? As can get hotside housings with the provision for an external gate?
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

6th Gear

Status
    Nothing like that unfortunately Stace, it's off a Polo. It was lieing around and I thought it would get a few minds wandering, sad that it has attracted more attention then the manifold though!

All the bits are now ordered so assuming they turn up this weekend is going ahead. Hoping for some more BHP's.

Down under

Status
    Are you running a T25 housing'd GT30? There's a GTX3071 for sale locally and it has a T3 flange. Wonder if it's worth getting a T25 housing for it and running it instead of a GT2871.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Are you running a T25 housing'd GT30? There's a GTX3071 for sale locally and it has a T3 flange. Wonder if it's worth getting a T25 housing for it and running it instead of a GT2871.
    If I've got this right it's running a 3071 core in the 2871 housing..

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    T25 hotside will choke the crap out of it and run hot mate... been there... ATP do a T25 plus hotside... T3 but drilled for T25... its what I am using... my manifold is T3 sized but drilled for T25 too...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    T25 hotside will choke the crap out of it and run hot mate... been there... ATP do a T25 plus hotside... T3 but drilled for T25... its what I am using... my manifold is T3 sized but drilled for T25 too...

<tuffty/>
    is the t25+ internal gate?

reesys is basically the gt3071-WG but its made by owens developments.

reesy you should port match the hotside to the mani, if theres any material to be taken off and gasket match it.

2nd Gear

Status
    Reesy's turbo is a Full size T3 gt3071r chra fitted to t25 gt2871r housings. Not to be confused with the t25 3071r, t3 3071 rotating assembly is bigger and stronger. This turbo could 'touch' 400bhp IMO, but around 380 would be the ticket.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    ben do you know the wheel sizes?
    does it have the 60mm turbine then?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    is the t25+ internal gate?

reesys is basically the gt3071-WG but its made by owens developments.

reesy you should port match the hotside to the mani, if theres any material to be taken off and gasket match it.
    No, external...
    T25 Plus, T25 Inlet Flanged, T31-V Band Outlet Turbine Housing FOR GT/GTX : atpturbo.com

Wasn't an issue on my mani tbh as it had provision for ext gate...

The gt3071-WG uses a 56.5mm turbine wheel whereas the full fat GT3071 uses a 60mm turbine wheel... my original turbo was a WG version but had the turbine upgraded to 60mm... 380ish hp seems to be where these turbos sit safely on a 1.8... everything gets too hot even with WMI... Lee had the same setup... RMR inlet, backdraft main and GT3071-WG...

Turbine Housing- new T3 GTinternal WG with built in swingvalve : atpturbo.com

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BENJAMIN View Post
    Reesy's turbo is a Full size T3 gt3071r chra fitted to t25 gt2871r housings. Not to be confused with the t25 3071r, t3 3071 rotating assembly is bigger and stronger. This turbo could 'touch' 400bhp IMO, but around 380 would be the ticket.
    As far as I am aware the 3071 is the same chra regardless of 56.5mm or 60mm turbine... I have mine upgraded and the only thing that changed was a replacement bearing pack as a refresh, seals and turbine/shaft... the chra casing was my old one and the new hotside was machined to take the 60mm turbine over the original 56.5mm one... still retained the compact GT28 comp housing...

400hp is a stretch on a T25 hotside... EGT's back right up... maybe possible if the hotside was 0.82 ar but the WG hotside is 0.64 ar which becomes smaller when machined for a 60mm turbine...

<tuffty/>

RIP S3dave

Status
    beware of creep if internal gated

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Hmmm, whats a 53.8mm wheel going to be capavle of then in a t25 housing??

Bill do you have a rough estimate on what the wastegate opening should be on these??

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    beware of creep if internal gated
    this one runs 10psi actuator pressure and creeps to 12 at the redline. Not too shabby.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    As far as I am aware the 3071 is the same chra regardless of 56.5mm or 60mm turbine... I have mine upgraded and the only thing that changed was a replacement bearing pack as a refresh, seals and turbine/shaft... the chra casing was my old one and the new hotside was machined to take the 60mm turbine over the original 56.5mm one... still retained the compact GT28 comp housing...

400hp is a stretch on a T25 hotside... EGT's back right up... maybe possible if the hotside was 0.82 ar but the WG hotside is 0.64 ar which becomes smaller when machined for a 60mm turbine...

<tuffty/>
    I think you're right, the chra is the same minus the backplate afaik.

My t25 3071r would happily make over 400 but the it had the .82 hot side and realistically this ruined drive ability, .6x everytime.

350-380 on the .6x is a really nice drive, I like them.
    badger5 likes this.

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    Hmmm, whats a 53.8mm wheel going to be capavle of then in a t25 housing??

Bill do you have a rough estimate on what the wastegate opening should be on these??
    its 12-14psi... We saw creep on lee's 3071/t25 originally, had to port its wg. Then it blew open the wg, so stronger actuator required to help keep it shut. Clearly a fair amount of back pressure in the hotside in this guise. = hot hot hot

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

6th Gear

Status

New Manifold

Started yesterday about 7ish..

As it stands: The engine is out, the a/c is completely removed, the old manifold and down pipe are off and both have no cracks, but the mani to turbo gasket had split and a couple of the mani bolts didn't want to play ball. The new mani is on, Ben has clocked the turbo and it's set about as good as it can be, charge pipe has been re done and is good to go.
    Flange and oval to 3" adapter is welded up and the actuator has been marked up and dropped off at the local fabricators this morning. He is also going to weld the 25mm DV take off from the charge pipe onto the cold side FMIC piping.
    All the lines are either installed or ready to be installed this morning, just a bit pissed off that the mongs from the eBay store I bought the downpipe parts from sent me 1 of what I needed when I ordered 3..
    so yeah, all seems to b going o.k so far. Unlikely I'll be driving away in the car tonight, but we'll see what happens.

some pics:
    As it was removed:

New mani on:

Pics are pretty pony and limited, but I'll try and get a few more today..

Status

Reesy's Big Turbo A3

Good work Reesbag. The speed you boys work at, you'll be done in no time.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    A later start then planned today but it didn't really matter as the *** downspipe bits still hadn't turned up, meaning the exhaust wasn't going to get done and the car wasn't going to be finished..

Before starting we picked up some pipe for a return pipe and clamps for it.

Jobs done today:
    All lines connected up
    Engine refitted
    A/C rad removed
    Rad, fan, headlights and slam panel back in place.

Turbo lines weren't too bad, bit of fabricating to be done but nothing too major.
    Engine was swung back into the gap and after a bit of faffing around, it was back in. Got round to plugging errrting back in and all was going well.
    Whilst sorting the clutch it was established that the master cylinder is f**ked. No resistance from the clutch pedal on the way up or the way down.
    After about 10 minutes of me being a depressed and miserable twat and Ben moaning that I was 'sobbing', the front end of the car was put back on. Ben decided to be really nice and put on an S3 bumper, just to prove how crap the A3 one looks...
    As it stands the car is almost there, worst job left to do is the downpipe but that was out of our hands.

Jobs left to do:
    Buy a 90 degree connector for the coolant lines (bulkhead connector)
    90 degree 76mm silicone pipe for the TIP
    25mm Silicone pipe for the cold side (sort of) relocation of the DV
    Await arrival of downpipe parts
    Master cylinder..

As usual, massive thanks to Ben @ Parsons Performance, I'd still be taking the engine out if it was left to me.

6th Gear

Status
    Turbo and Lines on:

Ready to go back in:

And voila:

Slam panel being removed of it's A/C rad:

Done:

And one for Jardo if he ever looks in here:

One for Jardo if he ever looks in here:

StaceyS3 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    You taken your vvt off again?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    You taken your vvt off again?
    It hasn't gone back on yet, it's on my old AUQ engine which is in a Ben's Dad's car, which hasn't been near the garage recently

6th Gear

Status
    Put it on.... I think there's some good potential with it....

come fly with me

Status
    Sorry to hear about the bits not turning up! Pics of the bumper?
    <Jay A3 build thread>

241bhp K03s - R Tech