Chris NottEM Tuning
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718192021222326 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Reesy's Big Turbo A3

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    You're a nutter!

Deciding to fit rods on a Monday with a trackday on the saturday? haha. Not changing rings or running anything in then?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2. # ADS
    ADS

King of the Mods. Apparently.

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    You're a nutter!

Deciding to fit rods on a Monday with a trackday on the saturday? haha. Not changing rings or running anything in then?
    Not fitting them on a Monday, they are being fitted on Tuesday!

Not doing the rings mate. If we get it apart and they are rough, I assume i'll run it at ADI, then get some rings and AGU pistons and another head gasket at a later date. Engine looked in good nick when we had a brief look so hoping that's not necessary..

Nothing to run in really, so going to drive as I mean to go on unless I am missing something.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    I hope your rods fly through the block and hit you square in the nose. Either way I'm going to hit you square in the nose

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    I hope your rods fly through the block and hit you square in the nose. Either way I'm going to hit you square in the nose
    I thought you'd comment. I should still be able to sort out the rods order, or get the same deal for you if you want? Whatsapp me. This was a rush job, and apparently they haven't had any rifle drilled in for a couple of months, hence why i've gone non drilled.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    FLMFAO

Status

My Social Networking

So in 3 hours the following progress has been made:

Blown up the Leon.

Removed head with mani in situ.
    Removed mani
    Fitted both manis to AGU head
    Taken sump off
    Cleaned up sump
    Rods and pistons out
    Rods and pistons seperated and cleaned up

All thats left tomorrow is to fit the rods, and then put it all back together.

Easy, especially when someone else is doing the work...

Could still see the hone marks which is good. The pins were fine as well, so nothing to worry about.

More info on the Leon.

Ben wound the actuator out until it was boosting 24psi in higher gears, then he decided that he would wind it out a fair few turns more.. After letting it warm up, we go through first, second, back to first for the junction.. Out the junction, into second and open it up..Never seen a boost gauge move so fast and then a bang. Looking out the mirror all we could see was smoke... Turned it round and in less then .2 of a mile it has coughed all 4+ litres of oil out the zorst.. Ben will post some pictures later, but basically it's fooked. Good job the turbo was cheap and spares are readily available.

Status
    ohps. fail!

Still, epic work on getting all that lot done in an evening though! Ben really does work fast doesn't he?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status

My Social Networking

Lets put it this way. He does engine works better then he does winding out actuators.

2nd Gear

Status
    30psi really is the limit of a ko3s' structural integrity. :-b

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Hasnt it been proven numerous times that fitting undrilled rods is just asking for trouble? They might have been cheap, but that doesnt make up for having to do the whole job again with another set of rods when those ones wear out...

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Hasnt it been proven numerous times that fitting undrilled rods is just asking for trouble? They might have been cheap, but that doesnt make up for having to do the whole job again with another set of rods when those ones wear out...
    not really. One they weren't that cheap so that wasn't the benefit. Secondly the only car that had issues was tufftys, which for the amount of cars that will have had these fitted is not a bad ratio, and could be down to other things besides the rods themselves.

welly had signs of wear on his pins, but that was after 40k in a car pushing out twice what it should. Unless you were to fit new pins, I don't think you can categorically put it down to 1 thing.

www.badger5.co.uk

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    Secondly the only car that had issues was tufftys
    nope
    he's hardly alone

its an ever growing club

the worlds bigger than what you just read on forums/asn etc etc

rifle drilled ftw - its there for a very good reason
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    nope
    he's hardly alone

its an ever growing club

the worlds bigger than what you just read on forums/asn etc etc

rifle drilled ftw - its there for a very good reason
    Is that why you've only just moved over to them and afaik still offer non rd as an option, despite knowing that they are prone to failure?

6th Gear

Status
    He`ll still offer them because people like you will still want them. Im sure Bill will advise RD rods when possible but he`s not going to refuse a sale or stop ordering them if people want to take the risk of non RD rods. Aslong as he`s explained the reasons and the customer still wants to go ahead with it then he`s covered incase they come back and say the engines snuffed it or something.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    He`ll still offer them because people like you will still want them. Im sure Bill will advise RD rods when possible but he`s not going to refuse a sale or stop ordering them if people want to take the risk of non RD rods. Aslong as he`s explained the reasons and the customer still wants to go ahead with it then he`s covered incase they come back and say the engines snuffed it or something.
    Really?

So knowing that they will fail, but telling someone that is the case makes it o.k? Total bull****. If you have a product that you have such strong views against, you wouldn't sell it.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I bought non drilled rods purely for budget reasons... yes I was aware that it could lead to premature small end wear and Bill informed me at the time (like he did anyone that bought rods from him)

On builds such as his race Ibiza where you use new pistons and new pins the problem is not as bad as fitting to pins that have already seen nearly 100k miles of service... if I had fitted ND rods to a brand new engine with new pistons etc then I don't think I would have had the issues I had so soon after the build.. but they would have happened at some point...

Race built engines that spend their lives at higher RPM, do little actual mileage and have regular oil changes suffer less and Bill's pins from the previous engine build did not show as much wear as mine did... plus I believe they were tool steel pins rather than the more normal case hardened variety..

The reasons to move to rifle drilled over non drilled is fairly obvious imo... its analogous to the whole 'why fit rods' debate... when the engine were new then rod failure was not evident and therefore rod changes were deemed unnecessary... now with mileage and associated wear, rods are becoming a requirement when chasing power... same with rifle drilled over non drilled... fit new bits to old engine and you shift the failure point

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status

My Social Networking

Basics of it are:

My car has 285-290 bhp and over 300lb/ft of torque.

If I change these rods in 2 years/25k (about the same) I'm pretty sure an OEM rod would have bent before then. This is not a solution for the rest of my life, it's something for a couple of years, assuming I still have this engine in some form of vehicle then.

I got non rd ones as they were in the country and I plan on tracking my car at ADI.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    id be checking the pins and making sure they are within tolerance. if not, getting brand spankers in there aswell.

2nd Gear

Status
    id be checking the pins and making sure they are within tolerance. if not, getting brand spankers in there aswell.
    I wouldn't re-fit the pins if they were worn. I have lots of spare pins here in case they had signs of wear. But they are in very good condition on Reesy's, I suspect it has very low mileage looking at the condition of everything on it.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Personally i believe it depends how the cars driven.

The undrilled rods rely on splash lube and spray from the piston oil squirters, however the piston squirters shut off at lower engine RPM's (oil pressure related) meaning on a daily driven car that spends a lot of time driving at "normal" engine speeds will see the pins with very little lube as at low speeds splash lube is fairly limited too.

On a race car, or a track car, or any other motor thats driven hard all the time, theres a LOT more lubrication getting to the small end from splash and piston squirters as the engines constantly doing high RPM.

When i bought my rods, it was about $80 extra to buy the drilled ones, at that money surely its a no brainer for a daily driver...

Status

My Social Networking

Personally i believe it depends how the cars driven.

The undrilled rods rely on splash lube and spray from the piston oil squirters, however the piston squirters shut off at lower engine RPM's (oil pressure related) meaning on a daily driven car that spends a lot of time driving at "normal" engine speeds will see the pins with very little lube as at low speeds splash lube is fairly limited too.

On a race car, or a track car, or any other motor thats driven hard all the time, theres a LOT more lubrication getting to the small end from splash and piston squirters as the engines constantly doing high RPM.

When i bought my rods, it was about $80 extra to buy the drilled ones, at that money surely its a no brainer for a daily driver...
    I can see the point, and had I wanted to wait a couple of months (the time I would have waited to get the rods from the company i planned on getting them from in the USA, or even 3 weeks from Hong Kong) I could have got RD rods for about £20 more then these cost me, so the money was not an issue.. The issue was time.

As the figures I stated above show, the car was more then likely going to bend a rod. Everyone I spoke to either joked that they were amazed it hadn't or were betting it was about to and was generally one of the first topics of convo regarding the car.

It might not have done, but given the power and torque it produces I would say it was more likely than not.

Bearing in mind that if I bent a rod I would be without a car whilst I sourced a block, rd rods (or fitted non rd in a rush which leaves me in the same boat but with a lot more cost) possibly a turbo as well, then paid to have this engine out and another one fitted after it had all been built up means that if in 18 months to 2 years, assuming I still have the car, their is some wear it's not that bad.

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Surely there are plenty UK suppliers (bill?) who stock drilled rods?

I ordered mine direct from PagParts and they took two weeks to arrive.

Surely if your concerned for the engine then you just drive sensibly and dont smoke around with your boot welded to the carpet until the rods that you need arrive?

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    My none RD Rods have been in nearly 5 years..... Go figure....

It got overhauled the begining of this year for new rings / oil pump/ and pickup and there was zero wear... on pins or shells

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Is that not the same as saying "my stock rods have been running 290lbft for 5 years..."

I just dont get the reasoning, hes saying he had to buy them quickly due to time constraints, rather than just driving sensibly until the better ones arrived...

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    I'm confused.
    You got drilled rods and non-drilled rods.

People buy non-drilled rods and not had any issues but people have bought them and had issues, so everyone must go for drilled rods now cause a hand full of people had issues?

Well then, I'm off to buy a bulletproof vest cause people been shot, I'm also going to not drink milk because people have became lactose intolerant, while I'm at it I'm not going to drive cause people crashed and hell I won't buy a BMW cause some people have reported about the rear sub frames fall off.

He bought them he's happy.
    Some people have issued, some people have not.
    He's taken this on board and picked the product that suited his wallet, time and needs.

Lets move on and pester the yut to get some pics of his build.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Is that not the same as saying "my stock rods have been running 290lbft for 5 years..."
    Erm.... No why would it be? im saying none RD rods are not automatically destined for failure there are other factors and variables...

Of course it makes sense to get the best out there, but at the time mine were fitted it was not seen as an issue, or at least there was no talk on various forums about it...
    It does seem to have been highlighted the last year or 2 and im saying im unaffected thats all....up to press...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    Well then, I'm off to buy a bulletproof vest cause people been shot
    Pick us one up and i`ll take it at ADI :D

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Status
    trackday coming up, didn't want to destroy car, makes enough sense to me.

I wouldn't have done it that way, but I can understand. Reesy doesn't cover huge mileage, and he's not developing monster power, so for the immediate peace of mind, if it lasts 2 years, then needs a set of RD rods and a rebuild he's done pretty well from it.

it's done now anyway, he's ordered the parts and stripped it down, so we may as well move on

Status

My Social Networking

I just dont get the reasoning, hes saying he had to buy them quickly due to time constraints, rather than just driving sensibly until the better ones arrived...
    Not really. Mainly because these won't be in the car 5 years, and if they are I won't have it and they will have failed by then anyway

I am booked in for ADI, have a large port sat waiting to fit and rods can bend at anytime, unless I ran it on actuator pressure which is both gay and a complete waste of all that has gone into it..

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    I'm confused.
    You got drilled rods and non-drilled rods.

People buy non-drilled rods and not had any issues but people have bought them and had issues, so everyone must go for drilled rods now cause a hand full of people had issues?

Well then, I'm off to buy a bulletproof vest cause people been shot, I'm also going to not drink milk because people have became lactose intolerant, while I'm at it I'm not going to drive cause people crashed and hell I won't buy a BMW cause some people have reported about the rear sub frames fall off.

He bought them he's happy.
    Some people have issued, some people have not.
    He's taken this on board and picked the product that suited his wallet, time and needs.

Lets move on and pester the yut to get some pics of his build.
    Thanks Scott, although you're examples are slightly extreme..

Status

My Social Networking

trackday coming up, didn't want to destroy car, makes enough sense to me.

I wouldn't have done it that way, but I can understand. Reesy doesn't cover huge mileage, and he's not developing monster power, so for the immediate peace of mind, if it lasts 2 years, then needs a set of RD rods and a rebuild he's done pretty well from it.

it's done now anyway, he's ordered the parts and stripped it down, so we may as well move on
    This.

Apart from the power bit. It's going to be close on 300 and almost as much torque as Tuffty's. That's not too bad, although not going so well for Fred..
    Last edited by Reesy; 9th October 2012 at 17:42.

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Thanks Scott, although you're examples are slightly extreme..
    I feel it works.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

Status
    This.

Apart from the power bit. It's going to be close on 300 and almost as much torque as Tuffty's.
    Like I said, not monster power

300bhp is so 2012.... every ******* has it now. it's all about 350 in 2013!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    This.

Apart from the power bit. It's going to be close on 300 and almost as much torque as Tuffty's. That's not too bad, although not going so well for Fred..
    You can't compare my power to yours by peak figures... its area under the curve... take Westy's... he made over 300hp at 5k then it drops off... mine doesn't... my peak power is over 7k rpm... mine also holds most of my torque from 5k to redline... BT delivery it totally different K04 (std or hybrid)

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

www.badger5.co.uk

Status
    Like I said, not monster power

300bhp is so 2012.... every ******* has it now. it's all about 350 in 2013!
    meh... thats so 2000's
    600bhp or go home
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    You can't compare my power to yours by peak figures... its area under the curve... take Westy's... he made over 300hp at 5k then it drops off... mine doesn't... my peak power is over 7k rpm... mine also holds most of my torque from 5k to redline... BT delivery it totally different K04 (std or hybrid)

<tuffty/>
    I was only joking, I know your car would never keep up with mine!

Status

My Social Networking

So to the whole rods and large port issue.

It's gone alright.

No real drama. In less then 8 after work hours the car has had a large port head and rods fitted to it. Started up first turn of the key (after getting the oil flowing first) and left it idling for a while

Took it for a gentle drive to make sure it wasn't overheating/about to blow up and all was good. Took it for some runs to log it and it has some new characteristics. It's slightly laggier, nothing horrible but noticeable. It also made 288bhp at about 3-4psi less then it was making 285 with the small port. It doesn't spike at all really and seems happier for the large port.

Think i'm going to leave it running 18-20psi for ADI, then stick a few more psi through it after that. Logs all looked O.K, absolutely no timing at all so room for play their as well.

Also fitted the upper S3 heatshield, so that solves another one of my worries.

Status
    Awesome news Chris very fast working indeed! Crazy progress given how long it took you to do anything before you met Ben

I believe vag moved to the small port head to get a more even spread of torque across the range, so your comments a out lag sound a out right. I remember going from my smal port daily to the large port track car the lag was always noticble, but top end felt much better on the large port

siunds like its going well for you, enjoy ADI!!

Status

My Social Networking

Awesome news Chris very fast working indeed! Crazy progress given how long it took you to do anything before you met Ben

I believe vag moved to the small port head to get a more even spread of torque across the range, so your comments a out lag sound a out right. I remember going from my smal port daily to the large port track car the lag was always noticble, but top end felt much better on the large port

siunds like its going well for you, enjoy ADI!!
    I know. I had so much disposable income back in those days

I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough, but it seems to be better and with the possibility of more boost and timing after ADI, seems like all is well under the bonnet. Either that or I crank it up, get a dyno reading then drop it back to avoid me joining Fred hanging from the rafters of a garage when something goes wrong.

Cheers mate, should be good.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Good work in 8 hrs. It can take longer thn that to clean all the crud from the sump.rocker cover and pistns LOL

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    LNM at its best...well done..