Chris NottEM Tuning
Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718192021222326 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 640 of 1235
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Reesy's Big Turbo A3

  1. #601
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,063
    You're a nutter!

    Deciding to fit rods on a Monday with a trackday on the saturday? haha. Not changing rings or running anything in then?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #602
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    You're a nutter!

    Deciding to fit rods on a Monday with a trackday on the saturday? haha. Not changing rings or running anything in then?
    Not fitting them on a Monday, they are being fitted on Tuesday!

    Not doing the rings mate. If we get it apart and they are rough, I assume i'll run it at ADI, then get some rings and AGU pistons and another head gasket at a later date. Engine looked in good nick when we had a brief look so hoping that's not necessary..

    Nothing to run in really, so going to drive as I mean to go on unless I am missing something.

  4. #603
    superkarl's Avatar
    MAN OF STEEL

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool/Southport. N west
    Posts
    7,453
    I hope your rods fly through the block and hit you square in the nose. Either way I'm going to hit you square in the nose

  5. #604
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    I hope your rods fly through the block and hit you square in the nose. Either way I'm going to hit you square in the nose
    I thought you'd comment. I should still be able to sort out the rods order, or get the same deal for you if you want? Whatsapp me. This was a rush job, and apparently they haven't had any rifle drilled in for a couple of months, hence why i've gone non drilled.

  6. #605
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,060
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    I hope your rods fly through the block and hit you square in the nose. Either way I'm going to hit you square in the nose
    FLMFAO

  7. #606
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    So in 3 hours the following progress has been made:

    Blown up the Leon.

    Removed head with mani in situ.
    Removed mani
    Fitted both manis to AGU head
    Taken sump off
    Cleaned up sump
    Rods and pistons out
    Rods and pistons seperated and cleaned up

    All thats left tomorrow is to fit the rods, and then put it all back together.

    Easy, especially when someone else is doing the work...

    Could still see the hone marks which is good. The pins were fine as well, so nothing to worry about.

    More info on the Leon.

    Ben wound the actuator out until it was boosting 24psi in higher gears, then he decided that he would wind it out a fair few turns more.. After letting it warm up, we go through first, second, back to first for the junction.. Out the junction, into second and open it up..Never seen a boost gauge move so fast and then a bang. Looking out the mirror all we could see was smoke... Turned it round and in less then .2 of a mile it has coughed all 4+ litres of oil out the zorst.. Ben will post some pictures later, but basically it's fooked. Good job the turbo was cheap and spares are readily available.

  8. #607
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,063
    ohps. fail!

    Still, epic work on getting all that lot done in an evening though! Ben really does work fast doesn't he?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  9. #608
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Lets put it this way. He does engine works better then he does winding out actuators.

  10. #609
    BENJAMIN's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    459
    30psi really is the limit of a ko3s' structural integrity. :-b


  11. #610
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,900
    Hasnt it been proven numerous times that fitting undrilled rods is just asking for trouble? They might have been cheap, but that doesnt make up for having to do the whole job again with another set of rods when those ones wear out...

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  12. #611
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Hasnt it been proven numerous times that fitting undrilled rods is just asking for trouble? They might have been cheap, but that doesnt make up for having to do the whole job again with another set of rods when those ones wear out...
    not really. One they weren't that cheap so that wasn't the benefit. Secondly the only car that had issues was tufftys, which for the amount of cars that will have had these fitted is not a bad ratio, and could be down to other things besides the rods themselves.

    welly had signs of wear on his pins, but that was after 40k in a car pushing out twice what it should. Unless you were to fit new pins, I don't think you can categorically put it down to 1 thing.

  13. #612
    www.badger5.co.uk

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    6,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    Secondly the only car that had issues was tufftys
    nope
    he's hardly alone

    its an ever growing club

    the worlds bigger than what you just read on forums/asn etc etc

    rifle drilled ftw - its there for a very good reason
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  14. #613
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    nope
    he's hardly alone

    its an ever growing club

    the worlds bigger than what you just read on forums/asn etc etc

    rifle drilled ftw - its there for a very good reason
    Is that why you've only just moved over to them and afaik still offer non rd as an option, despite knowing that they are prone to failure?

  15. #614
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    2,877
    He`ll still offer them because people like you will still want them. Im sure Bill will advise RD rods when possible but he`s not going to refuse a sale or stop ordering them if people want to take the risk of non RD rods. Aslong as he`s explained the reasons and the customer still wants to go ahead with it then he`s covered incase they come back and say the engines snuffed it or something.

    Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

  16. #615
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    He`ll still offer them because people like you will still want them. Im sure Bill will advise RD rods when possible but he`s not going to refuse a sale or stop ordering them if people want to take the risk of non RD rods. Aslong as he`s explained the reasons and the customer still wants to go ahead with it then he`s covered incase they come back and say the engines snuffed it or something.
    Really?

    So knowing that they will fail, but telling someone that is the case makes it o.k? Total bull****. If you have a product that you have such strong views against, you wouldn't sell it.

  17. #616
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,021
    I bought non drilled rods purely for budget reasons... yes I was aware that it could lead to premature small end wear and Bill informed me at the time (like he did anyone that bought rods from him)

    On builds such as his race Ibiza where you use new pistons and new pins the problem is not as bad as fitting to pins that have already seen nearly 100k miles of service... if I had fitted ND rods to a brand new engine with new pistons etc then I don't think I would have had the issues I had so soon after the build.. but they would have happened at some point...

    Race built engines that spend their lives at higher RPM, do little actual mileage and have regular oil changes suffer less and Bill's pins from the previous engine build did not show as much wear as mine did... plus I believe they were tool steel pins rather than the more normal case hardened variety..

    The reasons to move to rifle drilled over non drilled is fairly obvious imo... its analogous to the whole 'why fit rods' debate... when the engine were new then rod failure was not evident and therefore rod changes were deemed unnecessary... now with mileage and associated wear, rods are becoming a requirement when chasing power... same with rifle drilled over non drilled... fit new bits to old engine and you shift the failure point

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  18. #617
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Basics of it are:

    My car has 285-290 bhp and over 300lb/ft of torque.

    If I change these rods in 2 years/25k (about the same) I'm pretty sure an OEM rod would have bent before then. This is not a solution for the rest of my life, it's something for a couple of years, assuming I still have this engine in some form of vehicle then.

    I got non rd ones as they were in the country and I plan on tracking my car at ADI.

  19. #618
    superkarl's Avatar
    MAN OF STEEL

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Liverpool/Southport. N west
    Posts
    7,453
    id be checking the pins and making sure they are within tolerance. if not, getting brand spankers in there aswell.

  20. #619
    BENJAMIN's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    id be checking the pins and making sure they are within tolerance. if not, getting brand spankers in there aswell.
    I wouldn't re-fit the pins if they were worn. I have lots of spare pins here in case they had signs of wear. But they are in very good condition on Reesy's, I suspect it has very low mileage looking at the condition of everything on it.

  21. #620
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,900
    Personally i believe it depends how the cars driven.

    The undrilled rods rely on splash lube and spray from the piston oil squirters, however the piston squirters shut off at lower engine RPM's (oil pressure related) meaning on a daily driven car that spends a lot of time driving at "normal" engine speeds will see the pins with very little lube as at low speeds splash lube is fairly limited too.

    On a race car, or a track car, or any other motor thats driven hard all the time, theres a LOT more lubrication getting to the small end from splash and piston squirters as the engines constantly doing high RPM.


    When i bought my rods, it was about $80 extra to buy the drilled ones, at that money surely its a no brainer for a daily driver...

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  22. #621
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Personally i believe it depends how the cars driven.

    The undrilled rods rely on splash lube and spray from the piston oil squirters, however the piston squirters shut off at lower engine RPM's (oil pressure related) meaning on a daily driven car that spends a lot of time driving at "normal" engine speeds will see the pins with very little lube as at low speeds splash lube is fairly limited too.

    On a race car, or a track car, or any other motor thats driven hard all the time, theres a LOT more lubrication getting to the small end from splash and piston squirters as the engines constantly doing high RPM.


    When i bought my rods, it was about $80 extra to buy the drilled ones, at that money surely its a no brainer for a daily driver...
    I can see the point, and had I wanted to wait a couple of months (the time I would have waited to get the rods from the company i planned on getting them from in the USA, or even 3 weeks from Hong Kong) I could have got RD rods for about £20 more then these cost me, so the money was not an issue.. The issue was time.

    As the figures I stated above show, the car was more then likely going to bend a rod. Everyone I spoke to either joked that they were amazed it hadn't or were betting it was about to and was generally one of the first topics of convo regarding the car.

    It might not have done, but given the power and torque it produces I would say it was more likely than not.

    Bearing in mind that if I bent a rod I would be without a car whilst I sourced a block, rd rods (or fitted non rd in a rush which leaves me in the same boat but with a lot more cost) possibly a turbo as well, then paid to have this engine out and another one fitted after it had all been built up means that if in 18 months to 2 years, assuming I still have the car, their is some wear it's not that bad.

  23. #622
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,900
    Surely there are plenty UK suppliers (bill?) who stock drilled rods?

    I ordered mine direct from PagParts and they took two weeks to arrive.

    Surely if your concerned for the engine then you just drive sensibly and dont smoke around with your boot welded to the carpet until the rods that you need arrive?

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  24. #623
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,060
    My none RD Rods have been in nearly 5 years..... Go figure....

    It got overhauled the begining of this year for new rings / oil pump/ and pickup and there was zero wear... on pins or shells

  25. #624
    "Stick a V8 in it!"

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland
    Posts
    14,900
    Is that not the same as saying "my stock rods have been running 290lbft for 5 years..."

    I just dont get the reasoning, hes saying he had to buy them quickly due to time constraints, rather than just driving sensibly until the better ones arrived...

    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build


  26. #625
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,655
    I'm confused.
    You got drilled rods and non-drilled rods.

    People buy non-drilled rods and not had any issues but people have bought them and had issues, so everyone must go for drilled rods now cause a hand full of people had issues?

    Well then, I'm off to buy a bulletproof vest cause people been shot, I'm also going to not drink milk because people have became lactose intolerant, while I'm at it I'm not going to drive cause people crashed and hell I won't buy a BMW cause some people have reported about the rear sub frames fall off.

    He bought them he's happy.
    Some people have issued, some people have not.
    He's taken this on board and picked the product that suited his wallet, time and needs.

    Lets move on and pester the yut to get some pics of his build.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

    Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

  27. #626
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,060
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Is that not the same as saying "my stock rods have been running 290lbft for 5 years..."
    Erm.... No why would it be? im saying none RD rods are not automatically destined for failure there are other factors and variables...

    Of course it makes sense to get the best out there, but at the time mine were fitted it was not seen as an issue, or at least there was no talk on various forums about it...
    It does seem to have been highlighted the last year or 2 and im saying im unaffected thats all....up to press...

  28. #627
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    2,877
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    Well then, I'm off to buy a bulletproof vest cause people been shot
    Pick us one up and i`ll take it at ADI :D

    Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

  29. #628
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,063
    trackday coming up, didn't want to destroy car, makes enough sense to me.

    I wouldn't have done it that way, but I can understand. Reesy doesn't cover huge mileage, and he's not developing monster power, so for the immediate peace of mind, if it lasts 2 years, then needs a set of RD rods and a rebuild he's done pretty well from it.

    it's done now anyway, he's ordered the parts and stripped it down, so we may as well move on
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  30. #629
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    Is that not the same as saying "my stock rods have been running 290lbft for 5 years..."

    I just dont get the reasoning, hes saying he had to buy them quickly due to time constraints, rather than just driving sensibly until the better ones arrived...
    Not really. Mainly because these won't be in the car 5 years, and if they are I won't have it and they will have failed by then anyway

    I am booked in for ADI, have a large port sat waiting to fit and rods can bend at anytime, unless I ran it on actuator pressure which is both gay and a complete waste of all that has gone into it..

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    I'm confused.
    You got drilled rods and non-drilled rods.

    People buy non-drilled rods and not had any issues but people have bought them and had issues, so everyone must go for drilled rods now cause a hand full of people had issues?

    Well then, I'm off to buy a bulletproof vest cause people been shot, I'm also going to not drink milk because people have became lactose intolerant, while I'm at it I'm not going to drive cause people crashed and hell I won't buy a BMW cause some people have reported about the rear sub frames fall off.

    He bought them he's happy.
    Some people have issued, some people have not.
    He's taken this on board and picked the product that suited his wallet, time and needs.

    Lets move on and pester the yut to get some pics of his build.
    Thanks Scott, although you're examples are slightly extreme..

  31. #630
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    trackday coming up, didn't want to destroy car, makes enough sense to me.

    I wouldn't have done it that way, but I can understand. Reesy doesn't cover huge mileage, and he's not developing monster power, so for the immediate peace of mind, if it lasts 2 years, then needs a set of RD rods and a rebuild he's done pretty well from it.

    it's done now anyway, he's ordered the parts and stripped it down, so we may as well move on
    This.

    Apart from the power bit. It's going to be close on 300 and almost as much torque as Tuffty's. That's not too bad, although not going so well for Fred..
    Last edited by Reesy; 9th October 2012 at 17:42.

  32. #631
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    Thanks Scott, although you're examples are slightly extreme..
    I feel it works.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

    Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

  33. #632
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    This.

    Apart from the power bit. It's going to be close on 300 and almost as much torque as Tuffty's.
    Like I said, not monster power

    300bhp is so 2012.... every ******* has it now. it's all about 350 in 2013!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  34. #633
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    This.

    Apart from the power bit. It's going to be close on 300 and almost as much torque as Tuffty's. That's not too bad, although not going so well for Fred..
    You can't compare my power to yours by peak figures... its area under the curve... take Westy's... he made over 300hp at 5k then it drops off... mine doesn't... my peak power is over 7k rpm... mine also holds most of my torque from 5k to redline... BT delivery it totally different K04 (std or hybrid)

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  35. #634
    www.badger5.co.uk

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    nr Glos
    Posts
    6,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Like I said, not monster power

    300bhp is so 2012.... every ******* has it now. it's all about 350 in 2013!
    meh... thats so 2000's
    600bhp or go home
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

    Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

    Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG


    http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

  36. #635
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    You can't compare my power to yours by peak figures... its area under the curve... take Westy's... he made over 300hp at 5k then it drops off... mine doesn't... my peak power is over 7k rpm... mine also holds most of my torque from 5k to redline... BT delivery it totally different K04 (std or hybrid)

    <tuffty/>
    I was only joking, I know your car would never keep up with mine!

  37. #636
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    So to the whole rods and large port issue.

    It's gone alright.

    No real drama. In less then 8 after work hours the car has had a large port head and rods fitted to it. Started up first turn of the key (after getting the oil flowing first) and left it idling for a while

    Took it for a gentle drive to make sure it wasn't overheating/about to blow up and all was good. Took it for some runs to log it and it has some new characteristics. It's slightly laggier, nothing horrible but noticeable. It also made 288bhp at about 3-4psi less then it was making 285 with the small port. It doesn't spike at all really and seems happier for the large port.

    Think i'm going to leave it running 18-20psi for ADI, then stick a few more psi through it after that. Logs all looked O.K, absolutely no timing at all so room for play their as well.

    Also fitted the upper S3 heatshield, so that solves another one of my worries.

  38. #637
    Prawn's Avatar
    My other car is a MINI!!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Basingstoke
    Posts
    9,063
    Awesome news Chris very fast working indeed! Crazy progress given how long it took you to do anything before you met Ben

    I believe vag moved to the small port head to get a more even spread of torque across the range, so your comments a out lag sound a out right. I remember going from my smal port daily to the large port track car the lag was always noticble, but top end felt much better on the large port

    siunds like its going well for you, enjoy ADI!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

    But I know nothing so ignore me.

  39. #638
    Reesy's Avatar
    King of the Mods. Apparently.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    3,600

    My Social Networking

    Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Awesome news Chris very fast working indeed! Crazy progress given how long it took you to do anything before you met Ben

    I believe vag moved to the small port head to get a more even spread of torque across the range, so your comments a out lag sound a out right. I remember going from my smal port daily to the large port track car the lag was always noticble, but top end felt much better on the large port

    siunds like its going well for you, enjoy ADI!!
    I know. I had so much disposable income back in those days

    I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough, but it seems to be better and with the possibility of more boost and timing after ADI, seems like all is well under the bonnet. Either that or I crank it up, get a dyno reading then drop it back to avoid me joining Fred hanging from the rafters of a garage when something goes wrong.

    Cheers mate, should be good.

  40. #639
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,354

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Good work in 8 hrs. It can take longer thn that to clean all the crud from the sump.rocker cover and pistns LOL

  41. #640
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,060
    LNM at its best...well done..

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Few questions about BIG turbo conversions
    By Grant in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25th January 2005, 18:07
  2. here are power maps of chipped and big turbo cars
    By dunk in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 6th January 2005, 18:37
  3. MTM big turbo
    By DuncS3 in forum Tuning
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 4th January 2005, 17:10
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 20th August 2004, 10:19
  5. Big Turbo Alternative
    By StephenBogan in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 4th May 2004, 12:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO