ok gentleman, desperate fault code issue.....

slowcoach3

Reaction score
Fortunately its not for my new car its for the mrs vw polo, I know its not the right place but you guys are the best......
She has an immobilizer/starting issue... It makes a nasty noise, sounds like its going to start and then doesn't! I've vagcomed it and its constantly given me code 17978 which is engine start blocked by immobilizer... I've cleared the code and it works just fine for a week or two but now won't clear...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
She also has a peugeot which is dying so really needs this to work, I'm at my wits end because I can't fix it,its not worth spending a fortune on but needs doing... If your ever in Devon beer tokens are on offer!!!!!!!

[h=2]http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17978/P1570/005488
17978/P1570/005488 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer[/h] [h=4]Possible Symptoms[/h]
  • Engine starting but stalling immediately
[h=4]Possible Causes[/h]
  • Key(s) not matched
  • Instrument Cluster not matched
  • Engine Control Unit (ECU) not matched
  • Engine Control Unit (ECU) Power Supply faulty
[h=4]Possible Solutions[/h]
  • Check for Fault Codes in Immobilizer itself (part of Instrument Cluster in many cars, but separate Immobilizer Control Module in some)
  • Check Immobilizer Measuring Values (usually in Instrument Cluster OR Immobilizer Control Module)
  • Match Key(s)/Instrument Cluster/Engine Control Unit (ECU)
  • Check Engine Control Unit (ECU) Power Supply (Relay)
[h=4]Special Notes[/h]
  • In case of Engine Starting Issues please make sure that you are really experience an Immobilizer related Problem! Even if the Immobilizer engages, the Engine will still start fine but cut out after 2-3 Seconds. If you are NOT experiencing this behavior (e.g. Engine doesn't start at all) your Problem is very likely NOT Immobilizer related.
  • May be stored in Combination with 01176 - Key: Signal too Low in Immobilizer Control Module.
  • If no other immobilizer related fault codes are stored and the immobilizer related meas. blocks are fine except Engine Start not allowed, in rare occasions it helps to try cold-booting the car. Remove both battery cables from the battery. Short the battery cables together (away from the battery) for about 15 seconds. Reconnect the battery. (Example)

Thanks man but I already had that info, I'm trying to get a reason why this has come up and/or what I can do to fix it!!!!!

A low battery can cause this I believe, it falsely can report it's the immob when the battery is actually flat. I think I read that somewhere?

Or it might be the immo, perhaps the reader coil on the ignition switch is faulty?

A low battery can cause this I believe, it falsely can report it's the immob when the battery is actually flat. I think I read that somewhere?

Or it might be the immo, perhaps the reader coil on the ignition switch is faulty?

preety much as endacy said. however can you turn your lights radio etc.. on high beams as that would also tell

hmm my car had this fault or something similar, when i put the key in to start the car the immob light would come on and flash so the car wouldn't start i had to take the key out and try again until it started, then i swapped to my spare key for a couple of days then back to my old key also changed the battery's in the key, then i since then iv fitted a fmic and now don't get and gay immob light flashing and the car starts every time not to sure in the code is still there though lol

and i wrote all this then actually read what you had put and its not for an a3 / s3 eeee well what mornings do to some people, anyway hope you get it sorted

Is it a 6n2? Also which type of key does it have or keys?

Pat

Its an old one 1997 with a basic key, not remote central locking... All the rest of the electrics work just fine, it seems to be made worse by cold weather which sucks! Thanks

So it's got a transponder in the key?

Pat

Battery could be on its way out - Especially if its made worse by cold weather.

It does yes, a basic one... Are you thinking we should get another key cut?

May be so, you want to ask Matt to try to reprogram it first

Pat