AH FabricationsSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jojo

Thread: What's Happened to S3 Prices ?

1st Gear

Status

What's Happened to S3 Prices ?

Hey folks,

I haven't posted here I guess for over 12 months now, I nearly brought an S3 (after some serious lurking here), but then fell in love with an S4 which I lived with for i guess 8 months, then my family commitments took over....needless to say I'm now in a Volvo V70 (7 seater, and yes its needed)...

However, I'm on the prowl for a weekend motor and accidentally came across an S3 on autotrader at an extremely low price and suddenly realised it wasn't a one off but they were every where at VERY LOW PRICES..

As we speak there are as follows:

x1 on ebay "buy it now" for £2.5k
    x3 on Pistonheads for less than £3k
    x5 on autotrader also for less than £3k

I'm sure when I was looking (so about 18 or so months ago), the lowest was no where near this, but around 5k ish...(lowest price)

So my question is whats happened? AND are they likely to keep dropping?

Jay. (still lurking)

p.s loved the S4 but the potential repair costs for those pesky turbo's scared the s**t outta me...
    I SAID BYE BYE TO THE S4 , 18 MONTHS HAVE PASSED AND WISH TO RETURN IN AN S3......
    (SSSHHH NOT TOLD WIFEY YET)

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    all performance petrol cars are suffering price wise at the moment mate, 8L prices started to dive when the 8P S3 was released 4 years ago, then with the economic crisis, and ever rising fuel costs, they've been falling ever since
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

1st Gear

Status
    Same reason I sold my s4, on 123k and ran mint however the thought of £1000 per turbo and labour etc is a choker. I've just picked up my low mileage mint s3 facelift for under 4k. They are cheap and this time of year you can haggle an absolute steal.

And as for prices I dare say the fact you can buy an 8p s3 for sub 10k has a lot to do with it!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    all performance petrol cars are suffering price wise at the moment mate, 8L prices started to dive when the 8P S3 was released 4 years ago, then with the economic crisis, and ever rising fuel costs, they've been falling ever since
    Yeah guess your right, but hey great news for a buyer.......

Quote Originally Posted by benh999 View Post
    Same reason I sold my s4, on 123k and ran mint however the thought of £1000 per turbo and labour etc is a choker. I've just picked up my low mileage mint s3 facelift for under 4k. They are cheap and this time of year you can haggle an absolute steal.

And as for prices I dare say the fact you can buy an 8p s3 for sub 10k has a lot to do with it!!!
    Ben - hey thats interesting, how do you find your S3 compared to your S4 then?
    p.s Ben - your S3 link directed me to some Lotus S3 batteries ....i was expecting a lovely shiney S3..?
    I SAID BYE BYE TO THE S4 , 18 MONTHS HAVE PASSED AND WISH TO RETURN IN AN S3......

1st Gear

Status
    S4 once wound up was a rapid barge. But a mapped s3 in my opinion is bloody swift.... Handling wise the s3 destroys the s4.... I've found just a map on my s3 (plus soon to follow badger TIP) has satisfied my craving. However the BT s3s interest me to the point I could be swayed somewhere in the near future :-D

Best car I've owned tho!!!

Wind Deflector Trend-setter

Status
    Utter bargain of a car. Not interested in selling mine so not fussed on the value :P
    2000 Plate Audi S3 1.8T Santorin Blue - 275BHP on Custom Parsons Performance remap, Forge 007p DV, Red DogBush, Milltek non-res, Lowered 35mm Apex springs, Badger5 TIP/cone filter/heat shield, Powerflex'd, Large FMIC, Relentless Downpipe, Parsons Decat and lots of love.
    On gearbox number 4.
    Further modification to come..

Another S3 owner....

Status
    many say they would not sell there cars, but the reality many WILL and sometimes through no choice....unfortunately. We are beginning to live in some hard times of our young generation - says the middle aged man !
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

1st Gear

Status
    It's a lot of car for the money (8L S3 £3k).
    What else can you buy for that price with similar luxuries, build quality, reliability, and great performance? ........

Chugger

Status
    Damn right they have dropped, but it's not just s3s, but all petrol guzzling premium models have taken a hit.

I'm looking at selling mine in the new year, bought it for 5700 18 months ago, now id be looking at 4k, that's a devaluation of £100 per month... Not cool
    Last edited by sportstractor; 2nd December 2011 at 09:48.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I sold my second S3 for £3k for quick sale! I was happy that it went to another member aswell, as it was a good car.

To be honest, I think a perfect mint example would fetch good money to the right buyer, but there are a lot of dogs out there dragging the prices down, on top of the fuel prices and running costs etc.

You need to remember, @£3k to buy, an 8L S3 is still a £26k+ car to run, though with the help of forums like this, you can run one on Golf GTI money, since they are practically the same car underneath.
    stevewushu likes this.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

1st Gear

Status
    Well it may be as late as march (and its ma birthday..) before i get round to getting one, so they may be even cheaper by then...