centre pipe/ race tube

Cheaper to cut out the middle box yourself and put in some pipe. But to answer the question, i`ve never seen anyone fit one no.

i did that on my corsa. i want to have atleast joins as possible. migh buy one see if its fits if not just sell it on again.

i know the golf and a3 share pretty much the same floor plan so should hopefully fit

good shout mate. found one on ebay £20

can anyone confirm that the 1.9TDI will fit the 1.8T ?

Derv pipes fit on, but they sound awful (in my opinion.)

plus is that with big downpipe, std or highflow CAT?

tempted by getting an extra bit of noise for £20 (i dont want to start cutting holes in my rear bumper)

the de-cat/high flow cat should be the same size as the standard DP/cat (well my de-cat is) just ordered my pipe. going to spray it black to help it not to rust

yeah i am. standard centre pipe/ backbox (the one complete pipe not split) so going to have to cut it to fit the new centre section. i will let you know how it sounds once its all fitted up. wouldn't of thought it will make a massive difference in sound tbh.

oooooooooh, just found this.

Yes, 1.9Tdi centre pipes do fit, and they are identical to the 'race pipe' shown above!

With the SAI running they sound pretty dodgy, but on an AGU lump I think it'd sound just fine.

Mine had a 3'' DP with tdi centre and std backbox at Bill rolling road last year. it's a little louder than stock, but not much at all.

To be honest, I kinda wish I'd kept that system rather than fitting the toyosports crap I've got now. meh.

Ahhhh, while others fumble around trying to figure if things fit or if it will work - Prawn comes to the rescue......

Nice one! Always helping out amateurs like me

Alright nick I had a look on euro car parts and can't find the centre section :/
I'm going to get one with a 3" dp soon tho, what down pipe (de cat) should I get? There are loads on eBay :)

Centre section is just the mid pipe from a 1.9tdi mate, for examPle, I just told them I had a golf pd130
As for downpipe, they're all much the same on eBay, you want a 2 part one, usually about £110+ post. Pm me some links of you want to confirm before you buy

Just fitted one of the TDi centre pipes today, was a pig as everything was being stubborn but got there in the end. Paid £20 from a motor factor.

I wasn't expecting much, and only hoping for a bit more noise... I have to say I'm amazed at the difference. I don't know if/how my centre section was being more restrictive than most, as the difference in spool is insane. It's so much quicker to boost. It also sounds really nice, bit louder but not too much, burbles like mad and pops on over-run :D. I'm on standard K03 BTW, stage 1 Revo, Forge diverter, Ram-Air and just a Sportex back box.

Next for me is 3" DP I think, just a little concerned it may be a little over the top sound wise then... Or does the cat not have that much of an effect? I don't do many miles so it's not that much a problem if it's a little more offensive :)

when i fitted my 3"DP/de-cat i didn't get any difference in noise but i am using the standard exhaust at the moment.

i'm picking up my TDI centre pipe tomorrow as the delivery driver didn't leave it with next door as i asked.

heres my TDI center pipe. sprayed using halfords very high temperature spray paint. when its first sprayed on, it looks gloss black but dries matt black
BasingstokeandDeane-20111203-00015.jpg

The cat creates alot of backpressure therefore does take out alot of noise.

The centre box on a standard system is usually designed to smooth out the soundwave and get rid of any raspy noises pre backbox which does most of the silencing. If your running an aftermarket backbox then it will make it louder but still have the smoothed out soundwave, hence why you see the difference you have with the centrebox removed - not much louder but much more throaty.

Can you provide the link on eurocarparts or the audi part no.? I asked them about it and they have 3 or 4 tdi centre pipes.... So not sure which to get. Will it fit straight on to my a3 1.8t agu?

heres my TDI center pipe. sprayed using halfords very high temperature spray paint. when its first sprayed on, it looks gloss black but dries matt black
BasingstokeandDeane-20111203-00015.jpg

Check it out! looks exactly the same as the 'tuned race pipe' what a coincidence!!

Flog it for £40 on ebay now!

Just fitted diesel centre pipe to mine - i really should've taken a pic!! oops :no:

either way, on an otherwise standard system its not bad, just a tad louder and a bit more raspy/throaty - just what i wanted!

Should be fitting one of these to the gf`s Leon this weekend. Good to know it sounds alright :)

yea, it wasnt a straight swap on my system, but that could mean anything, i had to cut the existing system post mid box to fit the new section and thankfully scrounged a proper clamping sleeve from work to fit it, the front end of the mid pipe is swuaged (i cant spell) to fit - like i said i should've taken pics, sorry

Hmm interesting. The diagrams on ETKA show it being a straight swap technically. So did you not have a sleeve clamp just before the mid box where it sits on the hangers? Picture shows it as having one. Unless yours has been welded together in the past eliminating that join and making it one piece?

it is technically a straight swap, but the stock A3 exhaust system is 1 piece from the catback, with no joins at all.

Replacements from audi or pattern parts are 2 piece, with a join just after the first bend in the mid pipe.

even if you went to audi for a new backbox or centre box they'd cut the stock system and let in the new part with a joiner.

Also worth noting, that without a ramp, it's impossible to remove the standard system without dropping the beam off the car. they must go on pre beam at the factory, as with a loop up over the beam and a box before and after it'll never come out cutting.

that makes sense now! thanks for that. thankfully i had use of a ramp and a proper pipe cutter so it was a nice neat job

ooooo, angle grinder around the fuel tank - make sure you dont miss with that one!

ETKA just doesnt show the old system then lol. Shows it having a sleeve clamp joining downpipe to the pipe we`re talking about and then another sleeve clamp attached to the backbox. Same as a Golf. Cant remember if the Leon is the same as the old system as mentioned. Been a few weeks since i last looked under there. Will just use the air saw if it is so not much worry lol.

finally got mine fitted 100% now. was such a pain getting the TDI pipe to fit onto the de-cat pipe. took alot of heat and some hammer work.

but its all on, just need to fit the backbox and its all sorted :)

nice cheap mod

Fitted mine this week as well. Love the sound and the improved trottle response. Must admit it was quite an a** of a job to do. My sports cat for some reason is shorter then usual so the join between the downpipe and centre pipe does not mash up perfectly. Got to end up cutting a part of the centre pipe off and put an exhaust joiner in between. Then got to cut btw the catback and centre pipe to get the old pipe out and another join to link up the new centre pipe and catback.

Is the standard catback restrictive? If it does not provide much performance gain changing it I may just keep the standard catback as I don't really want a loud system...

I have an A3 1.8t btw