centre pipe/ race tube

Fitted mine this week as well. Love the sound and the improved trottle response. Must admit it was quite an a** of a job to do. My sports cat for some reason is shorter then usual so the join between the downpipe and centre pipe does not mash up perfectly. Got to end up cutting a part of the centre pipe off and put an exhaust joiner in between. Then got to cut btw the catback and centre pipe to get the old pipe out and another join to link up the new centre pipe and catback.

Is the standard catback restrictive? If it does not provide much performance gain changing it I may just keep the standard catback as I don't really want a loud system...

I have an A3 1.8t btw

At an educated guess (dont forget the word guess!) - the standard backbox does produce backpressure, but nowhere near as much as the standard cat. since you have a sports cat and no mid box personally i would keep the std backbox to retain some backpressure in the system, if you went for a sports backbox now it would be seriously loud! plus naff all backpressure which may reduce the life of your turbo....

sorry for the bump. but i fitted one of these to my A3 1.8t. did anyone else notice that the tdi pipe seems a tiny bit smaller than the standard centre pipe as it doesn't fit in the sleeve as well?

Seemed fine to me when i fitted it other weekend.

Does make a strange noise with the SAI going when cold lol.

haha truthfully corrected :p

The mounts didnt line up very well from the crappy Euro`s pipe i got. I had to take off the rubber mounts on that beam and put some old bump stops cut down on each mounting peg and then bolt the beam back up haha. Pretty pikey but with my discount the pipe did only cost £9. Sounds alright when going, bit beefier, low speeds sounds a bit strange too but she hasnt complained yet so i dont care :p

Since ive fitted mine, it get like a rubbing sound when turning left. i know u will say its the wheels but strangely its not, never had the problem before and its only when i turn left and accelerate don't know why it wouldn't do it when i turn right tho. might stick the centre box back on and do a muffler delete instead.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm thinking of doing this, A3 is going on coilovers next week and the exhaust is knocking on the rear beam so before lowering I'm getting a centre exhaust and reattaching it, should it be a straight swap, euro still has them for around £10!!