Anybody driven a3 3.2 V6?

fkn jardo...;)

I would stay in my own corner if i was you, we all know prawns car is sorted and a ****** good driver at that, but you are saying you can beat most people in yours, and by the looks of it needs work to get anyway near to prawns car....have you sorted them ****** discs out yet??:whistle2:
images

j
fkn jardo...;)

I would stay in my own corner if i was you, we all know prawns car is sorted and a ****** good driver at that, but you are saying you can beat most people in yours, and by the looks of it needs work to get anyway near to prawns car....have you sorted them ****** discs out yet??:whistle2:

fkn Dave, bring it if you think you are ard' enough!!!! Hahaha

I haven't buddy which makes me very sad, I have done a lot of maintenence and getting it ready for next years "season". Pads are done, discs are ordered (for christmas, thanks mum), buckets are being collected at Christmas and the exhaust manifold will be re-welded then too. My car is just not in the same league as Nicka though, yeah he is a good driver but that car is immense. By the sounds of things it drives itself, but is very rewarding for a competent and skillful driver. If mine is half as good as his this time next year I will be happy, my car has always been a year behind his in terms of modifications haha.

I'm learning to drive again Dave, techiques and things which I am practicing. I have 3 hours tuition booked at Brands which I am excited for, heel toe and left foor braking any time I can and throwing the hand brake on mid corner and trying to catch it lol!

Hows yours going?

Ok Jardo, just got my Agu head back with new valves/inserts/oil seals and new pads for the chain tensioner so just got to get it all fitted now then stage 4/custom mapping, a bit of WMI and possibly an inline fuel pump..;)

you people get wound up too easily, firstly name calling, apparently i'm an idiot for saying an s3 is a better car and a quicker car than an a3, you guys keep going on about highly modified cars, what's been the total cost of your cars to date? my old s3 sold for £4650? how much more did you spend on top of this on your motors (baring in mind my car had 69k and was a 51 plate)?

because what you all chose to ignore was this - no matter how much money you throw at your a3, you'll NEVER get it back and in some cases you actually devalue your car, is this not an important thing to consider ?

as for prawns car owning an rs4 on the track, good luck to him, have any of you actually done a few laps after you've adapted to any of the mentioned cars? if you have not how can you say they are slower?

so why don't we compare an s3 with the same amount spent on it as you've spent on yours - that would be fair no?

I can't believe this thread is still going, honestly we're talking about an old A3 which isn't EVER going to be a decent track car no matter what you've done to it, FACT.

This kind of willy waving and "I never get overtaken by anything less than Porsche GT3s" just makes you look and sound silly.

Nothing wrong with doing track days, we all enjoy it, but not all of us are dillusional enough to think that we bought a car for £1k and spent a couple of quid "sorting it out" and all of sudden it's faster around a track than a £90k supercar. I've been there and I can tell you for certain that the more you spend on a car, the less franctic you are likely to drive it round a track (unless you are super loaded), and the less bothered you are about the loons in old bangers who are sharing the track with you.

These guys are probably keeping out of your way, they're not bothered about racing YOU!

Keep it up with the boasting all you like, but most of us dont have tits so you don't need to try and impress us.

Last edited:
When i was at Shakey back in October, there was a MK4 R32. I stopped pushing my car to watch his run and how well the Haldex launched as i`d never really witnessed it in person. Safe to say that i was massively disappointed as he pretty much sat on the spot spining up the front wheels trying to pull away from the line. The Haldex is just **** poor..Constant 4wd i`d have anyday though. Worst part about it though is that it makes even the worst drivers look like hero`s.

The first time i went to Combe for Japfest it was rain, most of the people i saw mess up the last corner were in Scoobies and other 4wd cars because they thought they had the superior grip over anything else so they could take it flat out and then end up getting into a tank slapper down the straight and the crowd would end up laughing.

Thats my little shot into the discussion bye bye lol

I can't believe this thread is still going, honestly we're talking about an old A3 which isn't EVER going to be a decent track car no matter what you've done to it, FACT.

This kind of willy waving and "I never get overtaken by anything less than Porsche GT3s" just makes you look and sound silly.

Nothing wrong with doing track days, we all enjoy it, but not all of us are dillusional enough to think that we bought a car for £1k and spent a couple of quid "sorting it out" and all of sudden it's faster around a track than a £90k supercar. I've been there and I can tell you for certain that the more you spend on a car, the less franctic you are likely to drive it round a track (unless you are super loaded), and the less bothered you are about the loons in old bangers who are sharing the track with you.

These guys are probably keeping out of your way, they're not bothered about racing YOU!

Keep it up with the boasting all you like, but most of us dont have tits so you don't need to try and impress us.

Haha Prawn is going to LOVE that.

His car has cost him well over 10k and is a serious piece of kit, if you spent a grand on a track car and wondered why it was **** then more fool you.

Last edited:
When i was at Shakey back in October, there was a MK4 R32. I stopped pushing my car to watch his run and how well the Haldex launched as i`d never really witnessed it in person. Safe to say that i was massively disappointed as he pretty much sat on the spot spining up the front wheels trying to pull away from the line. The Haldex is just **** poor..Constant 4wd i`d have anyday though. Worst part about it though is that it makes even the worst drivers look like hero`s.

The first time i went to Combe for Japfest it was rain, most of the people i saw mess up the last corner were in Scoobies and other 4wd cars because they thought they had the superior grip over anything else so they could take it flat out and then end up getting into a tank slapper down the straight and the crowd would end up laughing.

Thats my little shot into the discussion bye bye lol
I would suggest the haldex was not working correctly on this car then, a split second slip is all you should see..

what is this "well sorted" lark about? put the stig in an evo and an a3 and see what cars gets the fastest lap lololol - you maybe faster than other PEOPLE in certain cars, but that's you being faster, not your car.

I whipped prawn on the Michael Schumacher go-kart track in Germany this year so his car must be well sorted :moa:

Reactions: Reesy
so the ultimate post has been made, an audi a3 8l with an EXTRA 10k spent on it is faster than an audi s3 8l - that is not really something to boast about is it

12k (based on prawns car costing 2k so it could be more) car vs 5k car hmmm

sorry chaps, but your theory of an a3 being a better / faster car than an s3 has just sank to the bottom of the ocean

fail_08.jpg

Dont be a tit!

Prawn hasn't built his car with the aim to be "better" than anything. He enjoys track days so set about building a fun car for the track. The facts are that this car he has built is ****** good on track. It doesn't matter how much money has been spent or who is faster than who.

Skip to around 32 seconds in.

lol - i took about 1/5 of a wheel spin to engage, but to be honest i am not a big fan of the haldex anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont be a tit!

Prawn hasn't built his car with the aim to be "better" than anything. He enjoys track days so set about building a fun car for the track. The facts are that this car he has built is ****** good on track. It doesn't matter how much money has been spent or who is faster than who.

but that's what all this is about - a3's are faster than s3's

lol - i took about 1/5 of a wheel spin to engage, but to be honest i am not a big fan of the haldex anyways

I can't believe I am being suckered into this thread again. I have a quattro, my video post was to show the quick reactions of the quattro. Try reading the posts and taking it in before getting on the offensive.

but that's what all this is about - a3's are faster than s3's

Yeah, and they are! My A3 which costs nowhere near Prawns would tear your S3 a new one both on and off the track.

Nick has built his car because racing S3's is too easy and he wants to chase real cars, Prawn was destroying S3's three years ago when his car was the same as mine ***! S3's are not Nicks competition because they are just nowhere near the level of performance his car has. If you don't believe Nicks car is as quick as it is then come and see it and go out for a passenger ride. Otherwise f*ck off because you are chatting crap about something you have no knowledge of. He has spent years on that car, been to tens of track days and an S3 has never passed him, fact.

Last edited:
I can't believe I am being suckered into this thread again. I have a quattro, my video post was to show the quick reactions of the quattro. Try reading the posts and taking it in before getting on the offensive.

i wasn't being offensive !!! i was laughing at the fact you corrected someone lol !!!!

Skip to around 32 seconds in.

Although with that level of tuning and power it probably has one of the uprated controllers. But quite cool to watch anyway :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What i dont get:

The claim being repeated over and over appears to be that a tuned 230hp A3 is faster than any standard turbo S3. The most powerful S3 (stock turbo) i've seen on here is around 275hp iirc.

Simple power to weight ratios say a 1250kg 230hp A3 will have 184hp/ton and a 275hp 1450kg S3 will have 189hp/ton. Even without the 4wd advantage, the S3 is the faster car.

Those are kerb weights ofcourse, once you add the drivers the gap will widen a little more.

Now ofcourse you could argue your A3 is stripped out, but the same if not more weight would come out of an S3, so if we're comparing apples with apples you're still in the same position, ie the S3 still has a slightly better power to weight ratio.

The S3 also has fundamentally better rear suspension, bigger arches so you can fit more rubber in etc etc etc.

I'm not arguing with your facts that nothings overtaken you, what i'm saying is if you'd put the same effort into an S3 base car rather than an A3, you'd have a better end result. Ok you may have spent more in buying the S3, but thats not the point.

What i dont get:

The claim being repeated over and over appears to be that a tuned 230hp A3 is faster than any standard turbo S3. The most powerful S3 (stock turbo) i've seen on here is around 275hp iirc.

Simple power to weight ratios say a 1250kg 230hp A3 will have 184hp/ton and a 275hp 1450kg S3 will have 189hp/ton. Even without the 4wd advantage, the S3 is the faster car.

Those are kerb weights ofcourse, once you add the drivers the gap will widen a little more.

Now ofcourse you could argue your A3 is stripped out, but the same if not more weight would come out of an S3, so if we're comparing apples with apples you're still in the same position, ie the S3 still has a slightly better power to weight ratio.

The S3 also has fundamentally better rear suspension, bigger arches so you can fit more rubber in etc etc etc.

I'm not arguing with your facts that nothings overtaken you, what i'm saying is if you'd put the same effort into an S3 base car rather than an A3, you'd have a better end result. Ok you may have spent more in buying the S3, but thats not the point.

The Haldex is such a jerky and unpredictable system it just doesnt work though, with or wihout a Haldex controler

Haldex is a pathetic excuse for a 4wd system and just doesnt work on a track or fast road, it is good for launch starts and getting stuck in the snow but it never delivers on the track. And for the power figures we are talking (under 300bhp) a well setup FWD car in the hands of a good driver is quicker.

Ask all the S3's at ADI, my car was the fastest car on track in our session which included a 275bhp S3 which I was easily pulling on the straights. That was with leather seats in it too lol! And even I almost got lapped by Prawn with his 200bhp lol

Last edited:
The Haldex is such a jerky and unpredictable system it just doesnt work though, with or wihout a Haldex controler

Haldex is a pathetic excuse for a 4wd system and just doesnt work on a track, it is good for launch starts and getting stuck in the snow but it never delivers on the track.

What are you talking about now!

*** someone shut this stupid thread.

What i dont get:

+1 i love your posts

with that amount of money you could have the haldex, prop shaft and rear dif removed and replaced with a non quattro rear end

so you'd have a much lighter s3......... which would then NUKE your a3 lol

Reactions: 16Klappe
What are you talking about now!

*** someone shut this stupid thread.

he's loosing lol - haldex works ok, not as good as a real quattro, but it does the job !

PS don't close the thread it's a good discussion !!!

What i dont get:

Same as me with a FWD A4 and you with a TQS. Yours will always be the greater car in standard form and if we spent equal money on upgrades.

Yeah, and they are! My A3 which costs nowhere near Prawns would tear your S3 a new one both on and off the track.

Nick has built his car because racing S3's is too easy and he wants to chase real cars, Prawn was destroying S3's three years ago when his car was the same as mine ***! S3's are not Nicks competition because they are just nowhere near the level of performance his car has. If you don't believe Nicks car is as quick as it is then come and see it and go out for a passenger ride. Otherwise f*ck off because you are chatting crap about something you have no knowledge of. He has spent years on that car, been to tens of track days and an S3 has never passed him, fact.

You DO admire Prawn don't you...i'm starting to think there maybe something more to this than just a car...something...deep.

wow - no need to get upset is there - can you not have a discussion without getting offensive ?

Fair enough, i've never driven a haldex car, i have three proper quattros :p

Getting from my A4 into mums FWD A4 though really shows for me at least how much better quattro is. I got in mums car, with her in the passenger seat, trying to fault find a missfire that happened at low rpm high load, and lit the wheels up three times doing things i wouldnt even have thought twice about in mine.

Granted it was damp, but i certainly wasnt driving aggressively, as i had me mum sat next to me, and shes going WTF do you keep doing that!

wow - no need to get upset is there - can you not have a discussion without getting offensive ?

I am getting the hump because you just seem to be taking the ****, you have stopped giving constructive and factual replies and are just picking holes. Which I havent got time for.

-

Yeah, real Quattro is excellent. Constant 4wd and much quicker response, IMO Haldex is just not quick enough to respond and isnt up to the job, past better launch traction and the ability to get about in the snow I feel it is a hinderence to handling below 300bhp where once rolling it just isnt needed.

Haldex great for launches, and in the deep snow last year running round on part worn 19's the only thing that caused any issues were where snow was deeper than the bumper which made the car into snow plough.

However, having had 2 LCR's (one of which was Revo Stg 2), the front real drive car is a weapon in the dry when set up properly. I wasn't impressed by the Haldex when I switched to S3 8P in the dry or on track, but in the wet the car is as usable as in the dry (even with S2+). With a Haldex controller upgrade it improves the balance of the car quite a bit, but it's in the wet where you really have a confidence you could never have in FWD. It's quite staggering (and we do have about 190 wet/damp days a year).

Last edited:
For ****s sake guys, stop dragging me into the my 'A3 is faster than' argument.

Perhaps Jardo has gone a bit OTT with the ko4 bashing, I've not suggested recently that mines fast in a straight line, it's abysmal. that's his corner to fight if he so wishes. I simply stated earlier on that a faster A3 could be build on a given budget than an S3. that point is true, unarguable, and not open for discussion.

I'm not claiming it's all the car at all, and I'm certainly not suggesting that it's at all faster than a 90k super car. I have simply given a factual account of what I've experienced this year. I've even stated that perhaps I got lucky, as I said at the very start, all i ask if that the poor little A3 is given a chance and not shot down straight away!

I don't like being called out, and both Finese and colon (whatever his name is) have called me out and suggested I'm lying. I've simply justified my statements with fact.

We're not on track to race, there are no prizes, I was simply stating. you say people in more costly cars arn't trying as much, then what's the ****** point? why buy a fast car to drive ti slowly? why come to trackdays? I say that's Bull****. yea, a £100k porsche around the ring, you're going to take it easy, but a traillered race car to an airfield trackday? give me a break. I go to trackdays to enjoy driving in a safe environment

I've spent loads on the car yea, probably more than most of the S3 owners on here and I love it to bits. there's no point telling me I could have built a better S3, I didn't, and don't want one. I didn't build it to compete or to be faster than anything else.

As for resale value, it means nothing to me, I won't be selling the car, so it's irrelavent.

I can only draw this conclusion:

I am the stig.
Everyone else is slow
You're all miserable

The Haldex is such a jerky and unpredictable system it just doesnt work though, with or wihout a Haldex controler Haldex is a pathetic excuse for a 4wd system and just doesnt work on a track or fast road,
It maybe a pathetic excuse in stock form,but it didn't do Kenneth Hansen or Per Eklund any harm on the track.....both have moved to much more costly systems like Sadev and Prodrive active diffs now,but it netted Hansen a few championships along the way.

It maybe a pathetic excuse in stock form,but it didn't do Kenneth Hansen or Per Eklund any harm on the track.....both have moved to much more costly systems like Sadev and Prodrive active diffs now,but it netted Hansen a few championships along the way.

But both of those cars have more than the 300bhp figure I am saying haldex is of little benefit under, and would NOT have been the production Haldex in an S3. So yeah, as with the A3 with modification and improvement it can.be.a.very good system.

Now would be a briliant time to end this, as stated everybody who is sceptical is more than welcome to a go in my car and I am sure Prawn will say the same. I truly believe that timed and on a track is the only level playingfield for a vehicle comparison, so thats is where my "argument" will stay. If you don't take your car on the track I don't want to know how "quick" it is.

:friends:

But both of those cars have more than the 300bhp figure I am saying haldex is of little benefit under, and would NOT have been the production Haldex in an S3

Stop Haldex hatin'

If it's raining at Brands I guarantee my car will go round the circuit quicker than yours. That's the haldex working on my less than 300bhp S3 :moa:

But both of those cars have more than the 300bhp figure I am saying haldex is of little benefit under, and would NOT have been the production Haldex in an S3. So yeah, as with the A3 with modification and improvement it can.be.a.very good system.

I remember years ago Clarkson (as much of a prat as he is) saying that around 220-240bhp was the most you could comfortably put through a fwd car. Having been passenger in an Astra VXR with the worst tcs ever, I would vouch for that. Few cars are exceptions to this rule, but generally I'd say its true. Jardo, If you ever go hybrid you will then see the limits of a fwd car, unlesss you have pedal control like a god, in which case, anything with 4wd would be pulling away anyway.

I also believe that Fred will pull away from you in the Damp/wet.