standard audi security

SyA3Turbo

Reaction score
Website
www.dub-life.co.uk
I have just had a letter from my insurance company regarding the setting up of my policy on the audi.

This states i need at least a cat 2 imobiliser fitted to my car for cover.

Is the standard audi system thatcham rated or is there any way to find out if it is?

Cheers in advance
Simon

All insurance companies will take your word for it that the car has a what you say it has .... ( ie you tell em it has Cat2 alarm they won't ask for proof). The reason they do this is that they can use any omissions/lies you have made to not pay out in event of a claim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
All insurance companies will take your word for it that the car has a what you say it has .... ( ie you tell em it has Cat2 alarm they won't ask for proof). The reason they do this is that they can use any omissions/lies you have made to not pay out in event of a claim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always. Twice I have been asked for a cetificate or Thatcham number in the past.

i have an a3 2001 facelift- whats the story with the alarm (do i have one- heard something about closed shell?) and is there a standard fit immobiliser?.... cheers for any help- insurance quote coming up soon! might save myself a few quid!

[ QUOTE ]
I believe all cars from a certain year have Cat2 status. Not sure which year though! (think it was around 99??)

[/ QUOTE ]

98 onwards in europe IIRC

I had the same problem this year with my insurance, and the company were refusing to expect the standard Audi alarm and immobiliser as CAT 2 approved. So I just had a CAT 1 alarm fitted to shut them up. (I wanted one anyway as I didn't have remote central locking and some other features)

There was an option to upgrade the Cat2 to a Cat1 on ordering if I recall correctly! I'm sure I didn't dream it......

[ QUOTE ]
There was an option to upgrade the Cat2 to a Cat1 on ordering if I recall correctly! I'm sure I didn't dream it......

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you did. I'm having it done next week by an independent pending a quote on Monday.
I phoned him and he seemed to know about a Cat2 to Cat1 upgrade on the S3.

i had a CAT2 to CAT1 upgrage on my '01 (Y) A3, keeps the standard key fobs

works well, no complaints /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
where did you get that done Dean_T?

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a mobile fitter in birmingham, they fitted a sigma 2-1 upgrade

i can dig out the price if you need it?

i remember it being more pricey than i thought it would be though....