replaced bulb and now brake lights stuck on !?

stu_b

Reaction score
just replaced a blown bulb went round the back to check all was well and realised now the brake lights appear to be permanently illuminated ? Any ideas chaps??

Last edited:
Had the same issue when I bought some cheap bulbs. Think the ones you need are P21W.

did a brake light switch about 6 months ago broken again already??

maz would that cause the circuit to connect when not needed? your S3 looks the ******** by the way :salute:

Thanks Stu.

All I know is when I fitted cheap rear bulbs recently my front and rear lights started to go nuts and those bulbs sorted it.

ok cool will try tomorrow cant be ***** with another brake light switch pain in the ***** getting the right one 4th time lucky last time!!!

I had this on my old Ibiza, not sure if the S3 has the same bulbs but worth a check. Anyway, the bulbs in the Ibiza had double filaments - one filament runs the normal tail lights; the other (brighter) filament runs the brake lights. There should, in theory, only be one way of fitting the bulb into the holder so that everything works hunky-dory.

Anyway, I managed to get my Ibiza bulb in the wrong way (i.e. by 180 degrees) and the net result was the brake light filament was permanently lit rather than the sidelight. Sorted by spinning the bulb back round through 180 degrees.

JCS you little dancer! just saved me a weekend of cocking about with brake switches and bulbs! who'd have though you could put a bulb in the wrong way round?!

I'm guessing that worked then!

Yeah, I was perplexed when I did it on my Ibiza. And in theory you shouldn't be able to put it in the wrong way around, but I guess brute force + ignorance can make anything fit!