S3 Bose Audio Problems

sc9

Reaction score
Hi, got a Y-plate S3 with Bose audio problems. Lots of them!

The 6 cd changer in the boot doesn't open. The sub is bust. Three of the spleakers are blown completely and the fourth sounds pretty terrible. The FM radio reception is also very weak so I frequently can't pick up any stations.

Bar putting a ghetto blaster on the back seat any recommendations on getting this sorted would be appreciated. Don't want to spend a fortune and don't really have tons of free time to invest either...

Thanks

So some sort of "magic" solution would probably be best then, very low cost and is self installing!
Is there any part of the Bose system that actually works? You say the changer won't open, do you mean the sliding door is jammed or that the cartridge won't eject?
The lowest cost option would be find a breaker and replace everything like for like. Failing that you would need an aftermarket HU, 4 new speakers and a sub, which is not going to be either cheap or quick.

Magic would be good - yet to find the right wand for this one though!

I'm not sure if anything works really. I can't think of much that could go wrong with an arial (loop of wire..) so this would point to a fault on the HU I guess. Not sure how to tell what combination of parts are broken re the sub, amp and HU outputs.

Pressing eject on the changer just doesn't do anything. Not sure of the reason here either.

Thanks for suggestion that like for like replacement would be cheapest. Any idea of the Bose spec or would a breaker just pull the parts from another S3?

Thanks again.

I'm having trouble finding a breaker with the parts I need - will keep trying.. Assuming going directly to Bose would be too expensive has anyone any experience of easy-to-fit aftermarket speakers and amp?

I got a a3 quattro and I haven't got a **** changer in my boot and I can't see a wire for one either I don't know what todo!! If I was you llook on eBay every few days as I seen 2 full sets of Bose speakers go on there for just under £50 and they looked mint.....there have been a set on there tho for ages for 50 but they look like a toddler has been using the cones and punch bags so I don't need to tell you to keep miles away from them haha

I'm having trouble finding a breaker with the parts I need - will keep trying.. Assuming going directly to Bose would be too expensive has anyone any experience of easy-to-fit aftermarket speakers and amp?

There is no easy way mate, you can get new speakers but you will need to run adapters to fit them (andy mac supplies them) them power them direct off a new aftermarket HU, which would require new wiring to be run, which can be trick but not impossible. You can use an adapter to go on to the bose sub ( andy mac supplies them lol) which will give you use of the sub. Mine started going tits up so I did exactly this and now it sounds brilliant. The Bose system is ****e 8 years after birth, dunno if it sounded good when new, surely it must have!

Lol classic....what a moron!!........I don't see a cable lose in the compartment tho??

Ye iv looked I'm starting to think that whoever bought it new didn't want a changer so they didn't add a wire on the build hmmmmmmmm

It's right at the back of the cubbyhole (towards the front of the car) past the rear seatbelt reel clipped to the bodywork:
CDchangercablelocation.jpg

Not all A3's were pre-wired, early ones were, later ones weren't

Awesome I only pulled the panel down and had a quick look thinking there would be a lose wire in there but now I see it's right in the rear quarter cards I'll have a look sometime it's not crappy weather

People on here often break cars - look in the parts for sale section of the classifieds and PM someone breaking.

Re: taylor1

Haha - great typo! Not sure using a CD as some sort of **** replacement would go down that well though..

Cheers for the ebay suggestion. The results pad out quite a lot when not putting S3 in as a search term but I'm not sure about the compatability and whether these from an A4 for example would fit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-S4-Bose-Door-Speakers-8EO-035-411A-2002-2005-/220907163939?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item336f17d123

They do look about right..

Are these the punch bag ones? They've got to be.

Audi Bose Speakers | eBay

Good luck to the fella trying to shift them!

Re: sportstractor

Thanks for cd changer offer. I'm not really all that fussed about a cd option and am more keen to get the radio working properly and an aux input for mp3. Still, I may give you a shout once the rest is sorted if someone else hasn't taken it.

I'm also a bit afraid of the effort and potential for trashing the car to start adding cabling etc. Think am going to look for replacements as a first option. Prob need to be certain on the current setup -- there is an external amp isn't there and am assuming any old HU will fit if needed?

Hopefully will be able to let you know how the system sounded at birth at some point. My guess is a bit artificial.

lol ye there the punch bags haha been on hbere aaaages....you will have a prob finding some saying s3/a3 so i put audi bose and when a pic looks about ok for what im looking for i click.....thats where i fgound my replacements and it was in the ited discription it said the model

Well they are also for the 8P model, 8L front speakers are pretty rare for some reason. No they have to be from 8L no other speakers will fit.