Removing transfer box

shabba168

Reaction score
Got a new flywheel and clutch for the car. When I drop the box out to do it do I need to remove the transfer box.

If I do can it be done with out the special tool

Needs the tool to undo the bolt in the middle of the drive flange (drivers side)... essentially a really long allen key... this needs to be removed to allow you to remove the bevel box...

Looks like this...

hz2584-1.jpg

<tuffty/>

It does slide to a point but its an ****... it catches the end of the block so you have to jostle it past... not that easy to do when the thing weighs so much... Was bad enough with 2 people and a lift ramp...

As Dave says, its 6mm and you could make one from a long 6mm or some steel tube/bar with a bit of 6mm allen key welded on the end maybe... either way its easier to get the box off and back on again with the bevel box removed...

<tuffty/>

How bigs the hole it needs to go down so I can get a nice bar and allen key I have a 5 inch 6mm allen key dunno if it's long enough

I got my box out leaving the transfer box in place. Was a PITA to refit the box again, but can be done with a lot of swearing. Makes taking the gearbox out easier.

The tool can be had at the dealers for around £9. Its VAG tool 1669.

Good luck.