Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    6th Gear

Status

S3 Xenon interals into Halogen housing ?

As title, got my car back from the repairers & they have replaced one headlight so now the other looks worn & dated. A whole new unit is £500ish, so looking at other possibilities any help would be nice.

Matt
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Should be... was thinking of doing this myself as ECP sell new A3 halogen units pretty cheap

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    You could just change the lense but i m unsure how different the reflective inners will be. I may even buy the unit try to change it over completely & if its not possible then just change the lense. Thanks for the answer Tuffty need more than a should though sorry.
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Milltek system

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I doubt you will get much more than a 'should' tbh... if it was something someone had undertaken it would have been documented by now...

Lens and shell should be the same... internals are the things that are different... good luck with it and if you do actually go ahead then post a thread with plenty of pics ;P

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Yes it will work. I e had both apart to clean up and reseal due to water leaking in. The problem youll have is trying to get the d2s bulbs and ballasts to attach in place. For the time and effort it would you take i would buy a aftermarket hid kit as it will be easier todo.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

6th Gear

Status
    when you say aftermarket kit do you mean headlight housing only ? whats the issue with attaching the ballasts ?
    Last edited by mattyboy199; 21st November 2011 at 21:47.

wanted for 8L S3:
    Milltek system

Status
    sorry mate dont follow the first question.

attaching the ballasts is easy, either attach them under the headlight like the standard ones, attach to the headlight backing cover or attach to the inner part of the wing next to the headlight.

6th Gear

Status
    sorry i ll explain it a bit better. I have an S3 with standard xenons. The insurance have replaced one of the headlights, the remaining now looks very dated & used compared to the new one. Due to the cost of a new unit can i just use a halogen housing to slip my existing internals into (sounds dodgy) to get the desired effect.

wanted for 8L S3:
    Milltek system

1st Gear

Status
    Matt it would be far easier to just re-condition your other headlight.

All headlights are lacquered, all that is required is to sand off all the lacquer, then re lacquer. Its a bit more in depth than that but its a process we do at least once a week, we do it on brand new audis all the time where people have scarped their headlight and dont want to pay £700 for a new unit.

Re lacquering your old headlight will make it look brand new and make the plastic crystal clear again, it is a VAS (aka VAG) approved product too.

Most places will charge around £40-50 that do this service

Status
    Yes, just take the lense of the new headlight you buy and swap it with the old lense on your existing headlight.

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I posted this on the other thread.. You guys talking about doing this... Audifans.net: You are using an invalid IP ?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

6th Gear

Status
    my only concern with just lense swaping is the metalic finish in side being faded although you wouldnt think this happens. Just need to find a genuine headlight for alright money.

wanted for 8L S3:
    Milltek system

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Im sure if you do a search Bhavin1986 did a polish of his headlights, the end result was as if they were brand new lights....

6th Gear

Status
    i ordered a turtle wax headlight restoration kit yesterday, will see how that pans out. £18 could be a winner.

wanted for 8L S3:
    Milltek system