Cold Startup Noise

mramage

Reaction score
First, aside :
Well, some of you may remember I was going to get an S3 through Colin. For various reasons I ended up going to Motorpoint, but Colin was cool with my reasons.

Anyway, I love the car, but yesterday was the third time it's had a bizarre, loud, and rather worrying noise on startup.

There's normally a little "growl" off it starting, which I understand is normal. Three times it's made the same chainy, clattery noise that lasts for a couple of seconds then vanishes. It's *really* loud and, of course, no one has been around each time to hear it!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Without hearing,,,could it just be the engine going to the top of the engine? oils now are very thin so can drain back overnight. although i think i would leave it at a dealer overnight to do a cold start test, for peace of mind.

I think this is a standard clattery noise on most S3's when starting from cold. As far as I remember it is to do with the hydralic tappets. The oil doesn't get upto the tappets for a few seconds to start with.
If you are worried then you should get it checked out by your dealer.

I was wondering about the oil thing. It's just that it's particularly loud, way beyond the normal starting noise. I'll see how it goes, thanks for the input.

A few weeks ago after getting my car out of the garage, I started it up, walked round the front of the car for some reason and heard this clattery noise - didnt sound good and worried me a bit, but it went away quite quickly and I havent heard it since...I'm not overly concerned about it

Mark... got mine from Motorpoint too, how was the experience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I get the clattery noise when cold, but only startup for a second as the engine starts and then it stops (from cold). It does sound very 'industrial' and not very sexy, but thats just the not-so-good-sounding 1.8T!

Yes, the motorpoint experience. A bit clinical, but other than that, they were very helpful.

Difficult trying to get this across. It is normally a bit growly when starting, worse so when it's cold. It's just been a few times when it's been about 2-3 times as loud and prolonged for a couple of seconds.

I actually went to the dealer because it did it two days after I got it. It was fine until over Christmas (sitting for 2 days) and the other day (only sitting at work). They had no idea and said see how it goes.

Thanks for all the responses.

Mine did this for a few weeks, metallic rattle on startup,started off only when cold, ie first start of the day. I put it down to the exhaust heat shield. However after a couple of weeks it appeared on every startup. Took in to Links, turned out to be the cam chain adjuster. Links sorted it out under warranty. May be you should get this checked out

Thanks! That's 3 times in a row it's done it. Was out with the digi cam this morning to get short vid. Very sad, I know, but the start this morning is 1 and after work is 2. Quality is a bit dodgy though.

http://www.wasters.com/~mark/start1.wav

http://www.wasters.com/~mark/start2.wav

I'm booking it in and I've put the noise on a CD, so they can have a listen to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

In true Blue Peter style, here's one I prepared earlier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds normal to me, the 1.8T engine can sound like a diesel for the first few seconds after start up

Dunno the cause, is it something to do with the hydraulic tappets charging up??

I had a 1.8T Golf and with the S3 now when you start the car first there is a slight rattle with the engine tappets, it is a normal thing with the 1.8 engine, but a louder rattle like that would certainly indicate that something is not right.

My timing chain went but different symptoms: I got a buzzing noise when I rev'd the engine. e.g. out of gear, stationary, reasonably evenly put your foot down (a bit slowly) it would buzz through a certain rev range then stop.

They replaced the timing chain and cam belt and it's okay now.