Cupra R Brembo's

IrishDave

Reaction score
Hoping to finally get my hands on a set of cupra r brakes in the next couple of days. Only thing is they do not come with disks. Have been looking at a few different brands, but ****** hell 400 quid for a set of disks. No way am I paying that. Then I came across these Front Grooved Godspeed Discs - Godspeed Brakes
Has anyone used these or would you recommend them or should I just go for the standard disk.

Might be worth contacting Bill Brockbank at Badger 5 before you buy as I'm sure that he offers a cheaper good quality alternative to the Brembos

£400? that must be genuine brembo?

I run Bills Badger 5 eliptically grooved discs, about £200 for the set and theyve been great for me!

I've had EBC Ultimax on mine which have warped twice on me, so wouldn't recommend those.

what pads do you use jason?

From what I've read, disc warping is infact incredibly rare, and more often than not, what people consider to be warped discs is infact judder due to pad deposits.

Not using DS2500's are you by any chance?

Why does DS2500 cause this due to deposits? Think I may be getting some of this with my Brembo Max Discs... Happens rarely but sometimes judders on motorway.

From what I've read, disc warping is infact incredibly rare, and more often than not, what people consider to be warped discs is infact judder due to pad deposits.

Im sure i was told 99% of the grooved discs offered are all stock discs that have seen the inside of a CNC miller.
The companys buy standard discs in bulk then sell them as uprated after drilling / grooving them

Why does DS2500 cause this due to deposits? Think I may be getting some of this with my Brembo Max Discs... Happens rarely but sometimes judders on motorway.

Ferodo pads are famous for leaving really bad deposits on the discs, more so than most pads, the resin used in the material is apparently the cause. They work amazingly, but famously deposit on discs when overheated.

Im sure i was told 99% of the grooved discs offered are all stock discs that have seen the inside of a CNC miller.
The companys buy standard discs in bulk then sell them as uprated after drilling / grooving them

Yup, this is true, although I don't see it as a problem at all, so long as the stock disc that's being machined is of a good quality!

I must admit the amount of brake dust I have on my wheels with the DS2500's compared to mintex pads is probably double if not more! BUT they are a LOT better so they're just doing their job. I should probably try cleaning my wheels more often to... ;)

Grooved is fine but this is why you never buy drilled discs due to cracking under the intense heat. Its why not many decent companies sell them anymore and just sell dimpled discs to give the look of drilled but retain the strength a solid disc has over fully drilled. Discs that are made with holes in already are fine ie Porsche discs for instance but when they`ve been drilled after the casting process they can do one!

Yep, I use DS2500s. They were definitely warped - I had them skimmed with an on-car lathe at a garage just down the road and they had to take quite a bit of material off them in the end to get them back within tolerance. I wasn't exactly surprised when they went again as there isn't much 'meat' left on the disc courtesy of the skim, but I've had another year out of them but will need to be done for MOT in March.

I've run DS2500's on the Ibiza/Cordy track cars for 6+ years now and never had a problem with them. But I do appreciate they are getting on for half a tonne lighter than the lard-ar$e S3. Still they get some serious hammering on track and perform faultlessly.

Currently running Black Diamond combo's on the Cordy following a good experience on the Ibiza and the setup is working well. Will look to get the same on the S3 if they make them.

I've run DS2500's on the Ibiza/Cordy track cars for 6+ years now and never had a problem with them. But I do appreciate they are getting on for half a tonne lighter than the lard-ar$e S3. Still they get some serious hammering on track and perform faultlessly.

From what I've read, they're MUCH better on lighter cars, it's only you much over a ton that people start to have issues with them over heating and leaving deposits.

They're one of those strange pads though, certain forums will absolutely swear by them, but then you look around a bit, over a wide spread of forums, and the good rep is not mirrored elsewhere!

3000's on the other hand, are truly mental.

Just to let you guys know that solid LCR disks and DS2500s work great out on track, quite surprized with them actually! OK, I have ECS stage1 rears aswell, which actually do something other than look bling! :cool:

Just to let you guys know that solid LCR disks and DS2500s work great out on track, quite surprized with them actually! OK, I have ECS stage1 rears aswell, which actually do something other than look bling! :cool:

Talk to me about the rear setup Joe I'm in the market for something now. Currently just got pagid discs and pads on the rear but they dont seem to do anything in terms of braking!

Been looking into these pads but what about discs?

Tarox / Strada 112 Pads 'Fast Road' (Rear) / AUDI A3 Quattro (8L) S3 1.8 20V Turbo From Years: 9/00-3/03 / Euro Performance Car Parts

Ooh, black diamond do do the 323 discs - model number KBD1490.
The combi’s (drilled & grooved) RRP is £340.79 and the G12’s (grooved) RRP is £323.56. These prices are per pair and exclude VAT.
So another option to try (likely I'll be using them come Feb).

Last edited:

It's ok I did my own research :)

I've come to the conclusion that you have more money than sense Jojo! Fkn £500 for a rear brake kit!

Venom Motorsport Performance Car Parts - EBC Brakes, Black Diamond Brakes, FK Suspension, Eibach Suspension, Weitec Suspension, Supersport Suspension

You don't really want too much on the back TBH - 90% + of the braking is on the front so just a set of normal pads and discs are fine on the back. Big brake back conversions are more for looks than performance IMO.

Talk to me about the rear setup Joe I'm in the market for something now. Currently just got pagid discs and pads on the rear but they dont seem to do anything in terms of braking!

Been looking into these pads but what about discs?

Tarox / Strada 112 Pads 'Fast Road' (Rear) / AUDI A3 Quattro (8L) S3 1.8 20V Turbo From Years: 9/00-3/03 / Euro Performance Car Parts

over $600 delivered plus import duties.. hhm worth it? Probably rather stick with better pads on the rear.

Last edited:
You don't really want too much on the back TBH - 90% + of the braking is on the front so just a set of normal pads and discs are fine on the back. Big brake back conversions are more for looks than performance IMO.

I've got standard on the back at the mo but when I'm heavily braking it feels like the car is going to endo! Need the rears to be doing a bit more so thought some better pads might help.

Its closer 70/30 in my experience,also more rear can make the car brake flatter due to less dip. Mine certainly does since i changed my rears to 300mm to go with my front 365s. just a heads up.

Its closer 70/30 in my experience,also more rear can make the car brake flatter due to less dip. Mine certainly does since i changed my rears to 300mm to go with my front 365s. just a heads up.

Agreed, especially since an S3 has some weight over the back axle, the ECS stage1 kit complements the Brembo's I have up front, I've never locked the rears up during braking out on track!

I don't care how much the rears compliment the brembo fronts I'm not paying that money if I can stop ok at the moment. Right I'll just settle for decent rear pads and see what happens.