Late nite antics Ramair filter

AARON77

Reaction score
Bought a new ramair filter and some 3 inch ducting at the weekend as I wanted to try something different???
Just got round to fitting it tonite after a few hours of working out how we was going to do it, we got the grinder out and cut a nice hole inside the engine bay to get the rubber duct out and into the inner wing, after a bit more grinding and and a hole in the underside of the bumper we finally got the ducting to the position we wanted
It all got a bit late sooooo il let you know if I'm happy with the outcome
ac3c61f1.jpg

475ce7a6.jpg

5feeda10.jpg

718bf499.jpg

592718a9.jpg

i have the exact same thing but with the standard airbox and green cotton panel. soon to be a huge jetex cone.
i personally dont believe these enclosed cones are any good.

i get great airflow figures from my current setup with the airbox.
do some logging, but id be surprised if its any better than a huge jetex or similar open cone

the box looks small... let alone the filter inside it

+1

So I hear, the surface area of the filter media (e.g. the larger it is the more air it can take in) is imperative to big bhp, so be interested to see how this performs. Hopefully not all noise and no trousers.

another +1 for being too small. They often choke on most cars.

I took my carbonio off because i had a water puddle scare. I didnt post as i didnt want the whole forum slating me but i went through a big unavoidable puddle (accross the whole dual carriageway with cars behind me so i could brake) and my filter got soaked n the car started stuttering! it the wet i had to unbolt the induction completely at the side of the road and dry my filter on the car fan. when dry enough i bolted just the filter onto the MAF and got home. If i didnt stop i guarentee it would have ****ed up the car big time.

filter size aside, I'm not keen on the HUGE hole in the inner wing, that has to effect integrity in some way, and also, the downward facing scoop, it's in a very dirty place, and being downward facing rather than forward, it'll have no ram air effect what so ever :(

DSC_4078.JPG

Apologies for the SEAT on an Audi forum, but it was a good car in it's day and I remember her fondly!

I had a Green's Dynatwist , and used the hose to a similar effect as you have and I have to say it didn't work for me.

If you look at the leading edge of the bonnet slam panel on the right hand side you'll see some nasty looking plastic cowelling where the original intake got fed from. I removed this from behind the headlight section:

DSC_4070.JPG

Then after I'd done this I went to a British Touring Car event and had a poke under the bonnet of the SEAT CUPRA championship cars:

DSC_0168.JPG

Now whilst the photo above doesn't show the air intake, it was a significantly larger version of the cowelling in the OEM car above.

So I approached Northern South independently and asked them if they would sell me a copy of the Seat Cupra Championship air intake, and after a bit of negotiation and checking mounting points it was all sorted. I continued to run it with the Dynatwist, but the figures were good enough (don't have the logs anymore but they were good enough to be producing well over 270bhp with Forge FMIC).

I'd alwauys wondered if this was the right place to be collecting air at the leading edge of the bonnet (wondered if there may be an aerodynamic bowel wave of air which meant you weren't getting a direct feed), but if it's good enough for championship racing then it will do for me. Also lessens the risk of significant water and dirt ingress when you rise above ground level.

Your local council is going to love you for hoovering up all the kerb side crud and dirt for them.

filter size aside, I'm not keen on the HUGE hole in the inner wing, that has to effect integrity in some way, and also, the downward facing scoop, it's in a very dirty place, and being downward facing rather than forward, it'll have no ram air effect what so ever :(
The hole was already there as that is where the original filter cold air feed was !I just opened it up a bit

Whilst all of your comments are very informative and appreciated I just wanted to try something different for a month or so before my 2.0 tfsi build starts
Not sure if the water wiil make it that far as it has to pass about 6 bends before it gets to the filter!
But after whats been said I will be keeping my on it ???

Hope it doesn't turn out to be an unnecessarily expensive 1 month trial!

What's going on with your sig?

It's a secret code message :detective2:

It's now 'kind of' fixed!!

Aaron, it needs a [/colour] command at the end of every colour change in the script, not just at the end of the string!

Whilst all of your comments are very informative and appreciated I just wanted to try something different for a month or so before my 2.0 tfsi build starts
Not sure if the water wiil make it that far as it has to pass about 6 bends before it gets to the filter!
But after whats been said I will be keeping my on it ???

I'd give it a few days of driving about and whip the filter out and see what its got in it. I just think with all the winter crud/salt that's going to be on the road for the next 4 months it might be worth seeing how much it sucking up now rather than later. If its loads then just reposition the hole to somewhere more appropriate.

I don't think I'd risk it there though in all fairness.

The pipe work look real tidy there mate, must of took you a while to do all the chopping and positioning, i had a carbonio and took it off due the fact of large puddles and upon checking it found grit and all sorts stuck to it, i then fitted a viper which is of similar design, but upon checking that after a couple of months found grit and even leaves, i also felt the engine was holding back with the viper but found it made a nice little burble under low revs on load. Looks nice but mine was a short lived mod as i thought a filter should just be plug and play. Thumbs up on the over all look tho.