Footwell lighting, what is needed and how?

drfeelgood

Reaction score
Just seen a few pictures of A3,s and S3,s with footwell lighting. What is needed to complete this most excellent of mods? I have my gearstick and dash lit up in a nice red glow currently.

I had it on my 8P S3 but I've not seen it on an 8L, would be quite interested in doing it though if it's easily done.

Few people have done in here, they just bought red led strips off ebay and wired it into the cigarette lighter, can be done for just over a tenner.

Reactions: WesternFreight
Now that would be an interesting mod. I saw this on the new A1 and thought, nice touch.
Maybe the parts can be retro fitted?

i would be interested in this.

where would people get the reeds for it to come on/off ?

like Inertiauk, would want them to come on depending which door is opened. but the a3 doesn't have a press switch like other cars.

would you need to take the door cards off to pick up a feed from the mirco switch off the locking mech ?

I used some red smd strips and wired them up so they come on with the headlights and dim with the dimmer switch :)

A3 T i like that idea, do you find yourself dimming them often whilst driving?

I like the idea of lighting my footwells to match the red glow under the ash try, but Im a little worried it may be distracting.

A3 T i like that idea, do you find yourself dimming them often whilst driving?

I like the idea of lighting my footwells to match the red glow under the ash try, but Im a little worried it may be distracting.

I never used the dimmer , i just like the fact i can if i want to ...LOL

There not distracting in the slightest as you cant see the lights themselves just a nice glow in the footwell.

If you like i can try and take some pictures and upload them for you?

That would be good thanks mate, I have a feeling the pictures will come out with the glow looking far brighter than they are in real life, but would still like to see them!

I like the idea of some red leds coming on when both the lights are on, but also white leds when the doors are open, Hope theres enough room to mount 2 strips of leds hehe!

I was driving home from Brands Hatch last night in the track car, and noticed how the ashtray downlight that used to light the centre console looked awesome on the gearlinkage, I'd quite like something similar in the footwell to light the pedals up for night driving.

Anyone got any links to any decent LED's on ebay?

you want to buy a SMD strip. light weight. very slim design and cheap now

i'm going to try to wire mine to come on/off with the open/closed

Anyone got any ideas where is the easiest place to take a feed from the ashtray light?

Also where is the simplest feed to tap into for the interior lights? Up the A pillar?

I have bought 2 ice white and 2 red 30cm strips so intend to put 2 on each side, the red one to wire into the ashtray and the white to come on with the roof lining right to illuminate the footwells once the key is removed.

take a feed straight off the 2 wires for the connector to the ash tray light. it won't affect it as the leds strips will draw very little power

Oh wow, this reminds me of having blue neon cathodes in the footwells of my first car, 1.0 Corsa C! I've thought about this at times, not neon cathodes in blue lol but a nice xenon white as i changed everything else to white. I'm not sure if red would look 'a bit too much?'

take the ash tray out will easier. 1 screw holds it in place then just pull it out.

to wire you could either scotchlok or splice the wire and solder then tape/heat shrink it up.

The thing with red (and the reason it's on your dials too) is that it doesn't effect your night vision at all, so red lighting inside the car won't give you any trouble

I may be just been thick but is this the same for the face lift A3 dash? I open my ash tray, remove the part designed for cigarettes and ash, then I cant see any screws and such to remove?

These are the strips i used (only i paid more for mine :( )

I took this picture in daylight (i know it needs a hoover) and for some reason i couldn't get a good pic while it was dark, But hopefully you can get an idea what it will look like:

img2011112000207.jpg

I just run a wire from the back of the dimmer switch to the back of the centre console (foe easy access) then attached the wires from the strips to it.

Think ill give these a bash.

What would I connect into if I just wanted them to come on when I open the doors??

Not sure i would want them on all the time.

Chris

What would I connect into if I just wanted them to come on when I open the doors??

Chris

Not sure where you would get that feed from mate as everything on this car seems to run on signals and not switches....lol

Ah nightmare lol, oh well.

Do the A3's have puddle lights? The S3 has lights on the underside of the doors so when you open them they light up the ground beneath, if the A3 has these could you not take the power feed from them, then they would only come on when the doors opened.

Yeah my face lift a3 has puddle lights if I was having them on when door opens thats where I would wire too, but I want my white ones to come on with the roof interior light and such, i.e as soon as the key is removed

I did this on mine a while ago after seeing it on here. Gotta say it was 1 of the cheapest mods I did (under £10).

These are the strips I used - Quick delivery too:
Flexible LED Strip SMD Red - 10cm Piece - 12v - UK | eBay

I used 20cm strips for each footwell and it comes out fine. The colour matches the dial eta 100%.
Attached wires to under ashtray light (had by center console out anyway to wrap it in carbon film). Come on when lights are on, also makes them dimmable but dont really need to as its not too bright. I have to admit, if you have the original pedals you may wana swap these for the tt ones as the pedal are gona be noticable to anyone who sites in the front.
Also did rear foot wells too, only another 10-15 mins to take out lower center console to run the wire, stuck the the the frames of the front seats.

I'd be interested if anyone figures out an easy way to wire these to use as puddle lights under the doors when opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Endacy
red glow front and back looks good.

only way i can think of adding puddle lights would be to add a press switch in the door card/door sill

I just bought the ones you bought SunnyB - looking forward to a nice little mod that costs less than a tenner!

Also, how do you wire to the ashtray light? How do you get to it??

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but im having a go at fitting some footwell lights now and have the same issue that DJ Troopa had above, cant find how to remove the ashtray in my AUM, as above, can't find the screw... Any wisdom people?

Thanks for the pic Jay, but i gather that would be the case on the pre-facelift? Mines facelift and thus no screw there, but i've since found another thread with the interior manual and instructions on taking apart bits of the dash and console to get at various bits, and successfully done it now :) THanks again, loving the look of the lights!

Im glad this thread has been revived. A new cheap mod to keep me busy this weekend :laugh:

did this on my VR6 been interested in doing this on the A3 but only want it to come on when the door opens, so if you figure out a way let me know lol