Bearing noise when setting off in first gear is it my turbo?

i would think so but not really sure im having a bit of bad luck atm haha its done 140'000 thousand miles so quite a few but drives like a dream to say its done that many i have installed the ebay FMIC do think that the N75 valve could be to small?

i would think so but not really sure im having a bit of bad luck atm haha its done 140'000 thousand miles so quite a few but drives like a dream to say its done that many i have installed the ebay FMIC do think that the N75 valve could be to small?

If you have full service history and cant find anything to say the turbo has ever been changed then it's had a good life! Unless you start to get blue smoke out the exhaust or this noise gets really bad I wouldn't worry too much.

I agree with westy, but to add to your dilema i would ask, do you wait atleast 30 seconds before turning your engine off?

I dont understand why the problem would be the turbo if its in first gear only. Do you let your car idle for a minute in the morning or drive stright away?

Have you considered your gearbox? Does it make the noise when stationary? Could be worth a change of gearbox oil?

Have you considered your gearbox? Does it make the noise when stationary? Could be worth a change of gearbox oil?
Agree if its the turbo it would do it if you revved in neutral if not g/box oil may be low or nedd changing

Define this noise... K0x turbos have a journal bearing so I am not sure if they would make a 'noise' and if the bearing was that worn it would be noticable in performance terms...

Ball bearing turbo's like Garrett GT's do make a rather nasty noise when they are about to let go having experienced one do exactly that on the dyno once...

You can check for wear by taking off the TIP and trying for play in the shaft... if you can pull it in and out a lot then thats thrust bearing wear... excessive up and down play will be the journal bearing...

<tuffty/>

I currently have the exact problem described. Just a tinny rattle when the engine is picking up from low revs when cold. As soon as the car heats up the noise is gone. Not sure if it is just a coincidence but my s3 has just turned 130000 miles also with original turbo. No other turbo problems however, apart from a mega boost leak that im sure isnt doing it's life much good.

Im sure i'd love the car a whole lot more if i could find the source of this ****** noise and get rid of it!

The noise of a K03 failing is usually described as being like a dentist drill.

I've noticed my turbo makes a sort of wooooooooo noise predominantly when cold when driving at low load, ie pulling away. I guess you could describe it as "ghosty" noise.