Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    3rd Gear

Status

Shock replacement

Hi All,

I replaced my standard shocks and springs with the cheap FK AK Coilover Kit.
    Handling was improved greatly but overtime they have started to knock.
    I have read a few other threads about problems with these kits, in particular the rear ones.
    I believe it came down to a dodgy batch of shocks

Anyway I am going to be removing the offending shocks and sending them off for replacement under warranty (i hope)
    I have decided though I would prefer buying myself a more trusted brand splashing out a little more money and sell the replaced FK's on once the whole set have been replaced on my car.

My plans are to remove the rear shocks and replace them with something better for now.

I have a few questions i hope someone can answer:

- Is there a problem with having FK springs and shocks at the front and FK springs paired with a different brand of shock at the rear?

- Am I able to use any shocks with the coilover springs i have? (the springs are height adjustable) for example could i fit billstein B8s to the rear? or will this cause problems?

- On europerformance they list a few different brands of rear shock - billstien, Koni, KW, Weitec (Audi S3 / Shock Absorbers / Euro Performance Car Parts)
    Which of these would you guys recommend to stick on the back if any of them are suitable?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice :-)
    SPEC/DONE:
    Bose, 18" Wheels, Recarro, EBC Turbo Groove discs and Yellow Stuffs pads, TT Pedals, Coilovers, R-Tech Stage 1, Yellow dog bone mount, Powerflex Front ARB Bushes, FK AK Street Coilovers, LCR Front Splitter

WANTED/TO DO:
    R32 Rear ARB (or uprated ARBs front and back), S3 Armrest, Brembos, FMIC, 3"DP, Cat Back Exhaust

2. # ADS
    ADS

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Most spring/shock kits have the springs and damping rates balanced for best ride/performance. Personally I wouldn't mix and match but if you use shocks that are from a similar kit (similar lowering rate) it should be ok.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    If they replace the dodgey batch with the new type that doesnt have faults you might aswell save your money and keep them..Put the money towards one of the things in your wanted/to do list

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

3rd Gear

Status
    Well normally i would but i kinda wish i had gone for a better set to begin with.
    As if these are fragile now i'm not holding out for them being a long term solution over years to come!
    As for replacements what you are saying is if i buy dampers that work with up to 30mm lowering like the billy b8s as long as i keep within their designed tolerances i should have a good performing car?
    SPEC/DONE:
    Bose, 18" Wheels, Recarro, EBC Turbo Groove discs and Yellow Stuffs pads, TT Pedals, Coilovers, R-Tech Stage 1, Yellow dog bone mount, Powerflex Front ARB Bushes, FK AK Street Coilovers, LCR Front Splitter

WANTED/TO DO:
    R32 Rear ARB (or uprated ARBs front and back), S3 Armrest, Brembos, FMIC, 3"DP, Cat Back Exhaust