APU Rods and pistons into an ARY

pippo

Reaction score
Hello all, first post.

I recently bought an a3 1.8t 180 quattro 6spd which had a knock and blue smoke. I have since stripped the engine out of the car and found that it had spun a rod bearing and as a result the conrod is worn out of round.

The crank is at the machine shop getting a regrind and the block is getting honed (still within tolerance). The engine is an ARY with 19mm pins however all of the second hand rods that I have seen are from engines with 20mm pins. I am considering some forged items although I have been offered 4 rods and pistons from an APU engine cheap so I am considering taking these. I have been assured that the engine was a good runner and the rods and pistons are good.

From what I have read the ARY and APU both have 9.5:1 comp ratios. Can anyone confirm if these would be fine in my block or are the pistons different ? (other than they have 20mm pins)

Thanks for any help

Thanks folks, good to know.

Apparenty 19mm rods have tangless bearings while the 20mm ones have tangs, should I order bearings for the conrods using the apu code in that case?

Cheers

Cheers aragorn

finally (I think), Are there any differences in the piston rings? Will any 1.8t rings fit ?

I plan on doing the rebuild this weekend, I phoned my local Audi dealer who can get me the rod bolts however he said that he couldn't see the main bearing bolts on his computer. So does anyone know if a) are these main bearing cap bolts reusable and if not b) does anyone know the part number for them?

Cheers