What to change for a few more bhp & lb/ft without a remap?? (Audi S3)

chris-edin

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Have been reading round / searching the forum......

Wondering what I can change / upgrade to gain a few more BHP or improve driveability of my car. (prior to a stage 1 map)

Was going to order a Badger 5 TIP and 007p,

What else should I be upgrading?

And, is there anything specifically I should be checking / changing for a stage 1 remap?

Chris

for a stage 1 map, nothing really. Stage 1 maps by nature are generic, to suit every car.

If you're just getting a generic stage 1 map flashed onto the car, it doesn't really matter if you fit your bolt on goodies before or after the map, as it won't be altered to suit them anyway.

Of course, if it's going on the rolling road, then things like a badger 5 TIP and a decent exhaust will help gain decent figures

badger TIP DEFINATELY. its the second biggest bang for buck after a remap.
not too sure on figures. but expect more top end power.

for a stage 1 map you dont technically have to change a thing because its designed for a standard car. but any mods help in some way. theres always room for improvement everywhere. it all depends how big your wallet is.

for a start, B5 TIP and a large jetex filter is prob the best and most popular way to go

Not going to lump for a generic map, bit of distance but ill travel south and visit r-tech power come the time, can't go wrong when it's £250 for a custom stage 1 :)
From chatting to folk i was advised to check MAF and some hoses before any remap, not really sure what i'm to check for though

if it's a custom map then it's not really a stage 1 any more.....

The whole concept of a stage 1 map is that it's generic.

If you're getting a custom map, you might as well do everything you plan to do first, then have it mapped last.

Well, I know I might sound childish for you guys, but I live in Spain and I like a lot the english language but I still don't dominate it to well, although I'm interested in this topic, and I wanted to ask you what is a ' badger 5 tip'? I see it a lot in your posts and it seems to be a 'duty' if you want to upgrade your car :think:.

By the way, a salude for all of you from Barcelona, Spain
:salute:

Well, I know I might sound childish for you guys, but I live in Spain and I like a lot the english language but I still don't dominate it to well, although I'm interested in this topic, and I wanted to ask you what is a ' badger 5 tip'? I see it a lot in your posts and it seems to be a 'duty' if you want to upgrade your car :think:.

By the way, a salude for all of you from Barcelona, Spain
:salute:
looking at your avatar you have an A3? not an S3? so the Badger5 TIP isnt available for your car unfortunately.
the TIP (turbo inlet pipe) is the rubber or silicone pipe going from the airfilter to the turbo.

To the original post, yes before a remap you should just try and make sure your car is as good health as your able to get it. oil change, filter changes, plug changes and make sure there is no split hoses anywhere and any jubilee clips are tight.
If you do go to R-tech your car will have a thorough health check anyway and they willlog your car and tell you if your MAF is healthy.

Cool, have been keeping an eye on a couple forums, if a new / nearly new MAF pop's up (the right one for my car obviously) I'll grab it and throw it on.

Will check all the hoses, again, will see what pops up, think i'll treat the car to some silicone hoses too but not sure what ones are best changed, already have the one that disappears down the back of the engine, think it's off the charge pipe??

Be pulling the front bumper off soon anyway to change out all my bulbs so will get a good look at the hoses.

Any change that will improve power with a remap will improve power to some extent without it.

You stick a full exhaust, decat, upgraded TIP and airfilter and FMIC on a completely standard car, you WILL have more power (On an ME7 car anyway, the older ME3 cars are a bit funny and simply give you less boost instead, but all S3's are ME7).

Simply put the mods make the engine flow better so without raising the boost pressure you'll flow more air. The ECU tries to maintain its programmed boost pressure, and then fuels according to the actual airflow, which will have increased, so you get more power.

Reactions: chris-edin
I have read remapping the car stuff up the on-board computer for MPG and range, is that true??

Only if the remapper makes an **** of it.

A standard remap shouldnt affect anything, if it does you dont want that map on the car! However if you change injectors and the like then one or two calibration values need adjusted in the map to correct the MPG.

Ah cool so wont be a problem with a good map like a revo or an RTech? that's a relief!

Appreciate the help.

I know you are asking about non remapped gains but just to give you an idea of the B5 TIPs 'bolt on' gains... the following was done on an S3 with stage 2 Revo...
s3-silicontip-vs-80mmB5tip.jpg

<tuffty/>

its actually a good example of the "same boost, more power" situation i mentioned above. The boost on both runs are within half a PSI of each other, yet the TIP allows the engine to flow better and the car makes about 20hp more!