Chris NottSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Knock and Twang whilst turning steering wheel

Hi all,

This morning when driving home from the shop for no apparent reason my 2002 S3 made a loud bang, sounded like something snapping from the front of the car, drivers side. So ive just taken the wheel off, and cant see anything out of the ordinary. I then put the wheel back on and as i turn the steering wheel from left to right i get a bang, followed by a kind of twang (like something rattling and vibrating). This happens when turning left to right, and then right to left, at approx halfway through, so near enough then the wheels are straight.

Any ideas before i put my car down the extremely tight drive and over the pit? Sounds like something catching, but just wanted some feedback as i cant get my car down the drive for a few hours so just looking over the internet for the time being.

Cheers,
    Ash.
    _____________________________________2010 Audi A5 Sportback S-Line ____________________________________

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    broken spring maybe?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    yep, snapped spring

1st Gear

Status
    +1 broken spring. You might not spot it right away since its usually the bottom coil, run your hand around the bottom of the spring. Careful it might be sharp where its broken!
    97 Green 1.8T - Stage 1 R-Tech map - SOLD

2001 B5 RS4 Avant - Misano Red - SOLD

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah after i looked again i found the bottom 3" of the spring had snapped and was sat loose in the bottom housing.

Does anybody have an ideas about taking the shock absorber out? Ive got the wheel off and taken off the 3 top mount bolts from under the bonnet, but looking at removing the bottom of the shocker, do i have to take the brake disk off? I tried searching for a guide but couldnt mind much.
    Cheers.
    _____________________________________2010 Audi A5 Sportback S-Line ____________________________________

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Its on a pinch bolt on the hub, undo that and it should come out,you may need to take the ARB linkage off too, you will have to open the clamp up a bit to free it, be careful not to trap or pull brake lines abs sensors

1st Gear

Status
    oh right, cheers for the advice. ive taken the pinch bolt out, but the shocker was still solid so i guessed it wasnt just that holding it in. Looks like ill have to waggle it a bit to try get it loose then. So is it really as simple as 3 bolts for top mount under the bonnet, and then remove the pinch bolt at the bottom? (ovbiously also remove any linkages attached to the shock).

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    No, its the single nut with the 6mm hex in the centre that holds the shock on. The 3 bolts only hold the strut brace on.

You'll also need to use a speader on the hub carrier to strut to free it up.

1st Gear

Status
    Ok cheers, so undo the nut with 6mm hex to free the top of the shock, then what kind of spreader do i need to free the shock? im getting there, just about lol

thats me

Status
    The tool Ive seen goes in the gap then when you turn it 90 degs it gets wider, you can use a allen key, tap the nearest size into the gap then turn to the high points. Just be careful as it might slip.

Also soak the bottom of the shocker in good old wd40
    red to red black to black blue to bits

1st Gear

Status
    Ok cheers. any tips or a quick guide on doing the back springs? Ordered some lowering springs so going to change them all.

thats me

Status
    raers are really easy, undo the shocker bottom bolt, think you have to undo the ARB drop link and then just make sure back end is jack securly and then push rear trailing arm down to remove spring the old one will probally have the top loop missing as they often break.

Clean everything up and the lowering spring should be easier to refit as its smaller.

A doddle compared to the fronts.
    red to red black to black blue to bits

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers for the advice,

Got the car finished last week and its looking good. I ordered Apex 20mm springs, but 30mm ones came so i fitted them anyway.