EM TuningAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

audi chorus problem?

i have a alpine head unit in my car that wasnt cheap, i have the cd changer in the boot going to waste and wouldnt mind having an original headunit back in, i got given a audi chorus for a a3 that says "working fine when checked in 2007" on it i believe that may of been when it was taken out of the car, anyway i plugged it in and put the code in and got it working but nothing comes out the speakers?? I can just hear the subwoofer in the boot. Anyone got any ideas? I have had to put the alpine one back in for now..

Regards Tom

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Have you disconnected all the adapters that were used to get the Alpine plumbed in?
    Also is it a Bose system you have or non-Bose?
    Could be the HU was from a Bose equipped A3 and yours isn't in which case you may need to get the HU reprogrammed to turn on the internal amp for the front speakers, although the rears should work if the sub is working, unless they were rewired directly to the HU for the Alpine.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

1st Gear

Status
    The alpine unit had a adator so that the orginal audi plugs plugged into them to allow it to work non of them have been cut or modified, so u just unplugged them and plugged the connectors into the head unit the only wiring i have done is wire the rear speakers to the alpine head unit but the rear speakers never had any wires going to them to begin with?! Its a a3 1.8t sport. How would i go about getting the hu reprogrammed?

regards tom

1st Gear

Status
    Come to think of it i may of cut the wires before to the back speakers to rewire them to the apline head unit not a big job though as i can just wire them back up...

regards tom

Status
    Yes, if you have a subwoofer and rear speakers then they would have definately been wired up to the amp inside the sub.
    So it's a non Bose system, the rears don't work because they have been disconnected to the rear amp (and Audi HU's don't have an internal amp for rears.
    The fronts run directly off the HU but don't work, either because you haven't plugged in the brown front speaker connector, or the Chorus was in a Bose equipped vehicle previously and has had the internal front amp switched off. You need someone with VCDS diagnostics to reprogram the HU to switch the front amp back on.
    Alex Turner

1st Gear

Status
    i have a basic version of vcds will that let me recode it?

regards tom

1st Gear

Status
    i have plugged in vagcom and i can access all areas on the radio, how can i activate the front speakers?

regards tom

1st Gear

Status
    i have wired up the back speakers and the front ones have came on aswell so they are all working now, but the radio stays on when i take the key out of the ignition? Also the display on my dash at the top doesnt say what cd, radio station is on ect, i have a brown wire at the back of the head unit left that doesnt appear to go any where?

regards tom

1st Gear

Status
    the front speakers are working intermitantly now they come on then go off once i start the engine or turn it off and on again, but are off at the moment, i could wire them into the back speakers? Also the radio wont turn off when i take the key out the ignition :/

Status
    You have a non CANBUS A3 and the chorus is from a newer CANBUS A3 which is why it doesn't recognise "ignition on". No way round that as the only adapters available are for fitting non CANBUS HU's into a CANBUS vehicle.
    The radio will turn off after an hour as well as it thinks the engine isn't running.
    Think you are screwed on the VCDS coding as your car doesn't have a CANBUS feed to the HU
    Alex Turner

1st Gear

Status
    i have driven the car today quite a bit yes it turns off after a hour, and its hit and miss with front speakers some times they will come on and some times they wont, aswell as the radio not lighting up when the lights are on. So i need another head unit as there is no way around this?

regards tom

Status
    Pretty much yes, but I don't think they did the Concert II for non CANBUS, so you'd be looking at a tape player Concert I
    Doubt the front speakers are switched off otherwise they wouldn't work at all, are you sure the brown ISO plug is securely plugged in? If you play around with the plug do the speakers go on/off. Could be the adapter used before has overstretched the pins and now they are a bit baggy and only working intermittantly
    Alex Turner