Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    4th Gear

Status

Facelift/pre-facelift s3s?

Ok, I'm looking at moving up from my a3 to an s3...Need 4 wheel drive for winter in Devon! My budget is 4k and no more. I've seen a couple of prefacelift s3s on relatively low miles (90k) in good condition and also a few 2001 s3's around the 120k mark, I know some of the prefacelift don't have traction control or heated seats but is there any other differences? And what would you go for? I know the prefacelift has a good reputation for being well built but I do prefer the new lights!!
    Any opinions welcome

2. # ADS
    ADS

It's never fast enough !

Status
    Hemel Hempstead (home) / Loughborough (UNI)
    I bought a pre-facelift with 60k on the clock and it has heated seats but no traction control. It does have an earlier version of ESP but it's called EPC iirc but no button to turn it off, it doesn't mess with the driveability of the car as far as i can tell. as for the lights it is a relatively easy mod to change them, you might even get lucky and find one with the new lights on it :D There is a buying guide to them on here somewhere but just check the usuals and make sure it has had the timing belt etc done and you should be good to go hope atleast a bit of that helps
    99' S3 APY currently just 007p, Badger 5 TIP, Customised Miltek non-res cat-back, Jetex cone, H&R Springs and Bilstein B8 Dampers ... 3" Downpipe, AH Fabrications FMIC and R-Tech Re-map on the way

Brum brum

Status
    Heated seats were extra cost options on both pre and post facelift. ESP came in with the facelift. EPC is the 'fly by wire' throttle control.

In this post Audi A3 8l Pricelist.. there is a breakdown of all the options for both the pre and post facelift cars.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

3rd Gear

Status
    I've got a prefacelift, with ESP and headseats <3. I bought a set of facelift lights on ebay which wern't that expensive, just havn't fitted them yet. I'd try and find one with heated leathers if I'm honest as there brilliant, especially the last few weeks, leaving the house at 6:30am is no longer a problem I paid less than your budget for mine at the start of the year, with 97K and FSH.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    the dash is fairly different on pre and post facelift cars, the whole centre console changed a fair bit.

Pre facelift cars are perfectly good, and to be honest, the interior is more useful with a decent sized tray in the centre!

they're looking a bit dated with the lights, but that's an easy swap, and otherwise, there's not much difference.

Considering prices, I think my choice would be a late pre facelift car with ESP
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Neutral

Status
    heyy another devvonarrr, i may be selling my S3 but i've just put in a Lightened flywheel and uprated clutch, so would struggle to sell mine for less than 4k, mines a facelift btw.

4th Gear

Status
    I think the main thing I want is ESP, heated seats would be a bonus on cold winter days though.....
    Agreed that the prefacelift are looking a little tired with the old front lights, I know Jardo will disagree but the newer lights make them look loads more modern! They are all holding their value pretty well compared to my A3 though. I'm tied to getting one from a garage as I'm going to have to get part finance and you can stick almost a grand on the price! Otherwise I'd be after Danes as I'd like to go down that route....
    Jordysport, whereabouts in Devon are you based? I live on Dartmoor and work in Exeter.....

Neutral

Status
    Am near cullompton/honiton area out in the cuds :P but will see me about exeter alot.

4th Gear

Status
    I've seen a couple of s3's around and always wondered if its anyone from on here, now I know!

4th Gear

Status
    We should sort out a meet in Exeter in the new year, hopefully mine will be back on the road mid Jan

Pat