Battery Top Up

MarkyB

Reaction score
The "Magic Eye" on my car battery is showing that the battery needs topping up (no water visible!!!) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to prise the big black pastic cover off the battery to get to the cell-caps.

Car is a MY01 S3, owned from new and was serviced last year as per the AVS. Car still starts, but I had to get a jump start last week after leaving the car standing for two weeks whilst on holiday.

I've removed the battery gubbins, as per the manual, and peeled back the warning sticker, but can't get any futher.

How much force is required to "pop" the cell cover? I've noticed that there is a small hole in the RHS (as I face the car) of the cell cover which might be used for leverage, but am reluctant to put too much force behind it in case I damage the battery casing. Have tried prising the cover off with a screwdriver, but feel like I'm merely gouging the plastic.

A litre of distilled water was 50p from my local motorfactor. Please tell me I'm not going to have to visit the dealer to get them to top up the battery for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cheers,

Mark.