Routledge's S3 Thread

Yes mate - I looked at S3's after I spoke to you and then decided to buy one lol

Still haven't had a call back from Audi regarding my roof corrosion claim that's going on - Apparently the Customer Relations manager has better things to do. Will chase this up as/when I can - Very busy at the moment!!

Had a call from the garage swapping the gearbox over today - Apparently I need a new balljoint, and thermostat, and the couple of other points raised, but aside from that the car is a good'un! Adding another £100 to the bill for the balljoint/thermostat. Should've given him the dogbone bush to fit whilst he was there really.. Nevermind!

Wind noise on the motorway is a nightmare. Do they fit nice and flush and would you all recommend wind deflectors? Be interested in seeing some pics and thoughts on ease of fitment. Is it a fiddly job?

great, and finally...aesthetically?

Very OEM

XSP_7302.jpg

Yeah they're super-easy to fit. I did them in the dark in 10 mins. Just make sure you clean out the crevace where they're going to sit properly first - The amount of muck in there is unreal!

That's great. Thanks guy. For the pics, the tips and your comments!

I've got her back!

They dropped my car back to me last night at around 7:30pm all good to go.

Replacement gearbox fitted, new clutch and DMF fitted. The old clutch was the original and was on its way out - 105k miles and still going is testament to its treatment throughout its life! New thermostat fitted whilst it was there and a ball joint in the gear linkage.

The sleeve that the transfer box and gearbox both plug into was missing on the new box (so had obviously come out with the transfer box) - This shouldn't have been an issue providing the same occurred with the box being removed... Except it didn't, and got stuck to the old gearbox. Around 5 hours, a machine shop, and a complete dismantling of the old gearbox later, the sleeve was removed and put in with the new gearbox and transfer box.

They confirmed I'd need to throw on some new brake pads on the front and also confirmed that it has had a new clutch pedal already, but it 'wiggles' a little from side-to-side so could do with a couple of small bushes that'll cost me pennies.

On top of doing an excellent job, not charging me extra labour for the work on the sleeve, they valeted the car for me, picked it up, delivered it home free of charge, and are going to be doing the N249 delete for me free of charge providing I go down there with a metre of 3mm internal diameter silicon hosing on a weekend. Chuffed to pieces. On top of all that - They took pictures throughout the process for me and are going to be e-mailing them today so that I can put them up on here!

Pics to follow.

Sadly not - I had to sell it when I moved as I lost my garage and therefore didn't have anywhere to store it. It got broken for parts by Daz at DNR.

Right well didn't want this topic going too far back so time to resurrect it a little.

Still waiting on the pictures from the gearbox swap and new clutch and thermostat that went on.

The CD player has become increasingly irritating with its intricate habit for flicking up to full volume when trying to adjust the level.. so I've ordered an aftermarket Single-DIN unit that works with the piano-black trim and red S3 styling:

$(KGrHqIOKpUE5(oPPL8SBOeIU6jE+!~~60_12.JPG

Had to buy a facia adapter too, which arrived yesterday, with the stereo arriving today. Hoping they'll look good together.

Currently bidding on eBay on a sub/amp/wiring package as well as I like being woken up in the mornings on the monotonous journey to work with some music. Might as well fit that whilst I'm fitting the stereo.

Bought some brake pads that i'm still waiting on delivery of too.. Will be upgrading the calipers/carriers/pads/discs to a Brembo setup next year so just some cheapy pads for now:

$(KGrHqN,!h8E7!Qs6CMhBO06CyjNvg~~60_12.JPG

The 3mm internal diameter metre-long silicon hosing has arrived too, so should be doing the 'N' delete one weekend soon, and I've still got the red dogbone bush to fit when I get the chance.

Oh, and the mrs bought me a sticker for the rear window. :p

$(KGrHqV,!lUE2EDoNZHvBNtuSS!2ww~~_12.JPG

That'll be going on next time I give her a wash!

Last edited:
with regards to the longitudinal sensor. where did you fit this? under the steering wheel?

my educated guess if you have installed it where in fact the lateral sensor is.

i had this problem too you see. and after lots of reading up and questioning i thought the longitudinal sensor was under the steering column. wrong.

after plugging the new one in, i opened vagcom to find it was still reading a silly nnumber while stationary.
so i accessed the (what i thought at the time to be) the lateral sensor, which is behind the glovebox, and put the new sensor in there, and hey presto, longitudinal readings were 0 in vagcom.

so in my case, long under glovebox, lat under steering column.

hope that helps.

i have a part number too if it helps. just give me a holla

It wasn't me that installed it - I took it to a company in East Grinstead that had a spare kicking around. They installed it under the steering column by removing the plastic cowling and getting busy with a torque screwdriver. I would've taken a keener interest but at the time it was 9am on a Saturday morning and I'd been down the pub the night before. They plugged it into VAGCOM via their computer after and tested it and it was working fine.. But as soon as I got onto the motorway on my journey home and got past 3kRPM on the slip road the lights came back on.

They gave me a full refund on return to them and I've bought another now that I've got sitting at home waiting to be fit. If I get time this weekend after installing my sound system I'll have a crack at getting it put in.

Oh, and I've got pics of the 'box swap to put up now - Will just upload 'em.

aa688a87.jpg

New clutch versus knackered old clutch.

ec07c3f8.jpg

Gearbox removed

666f5550.jpg

PITA sleeve stuck on the old gearbox

bbd69da4.jpg

New gearbox without the sleeve stuck on it

35ff777d.jpg

a379a374.jpg

Extreme dismantling required to remove sleeve from old gearbox to put on the new one!

4f4f961f.jpg

0ae2af41.jpg

6835355f.jpg

New thermostat!

Last edited:
The CD player turned up the other day, which is all good! I've got the facia adapter as well now ready to go in, and last night I successfully won an auction for a bit of sound equipment!

Managed to pick up:

12" Mutant subwoofer in box
300x2 Amplifier
Phono leads with remote turn-on
Power lead
Ground lead

All in perfectly functional condition - For £26.00 - Drove 2 minutes down the road to test it/pick it up :D

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Should be in by the end of the weekend.

Ohhh hey Ed! I remember Donna saying you'd got yourself an Audi actually. You got the rare purple colour didn't you?

I'm actually alright for the keys now fella, I went up to Halfords on the weekend and borrowed some from their toolbox :p
Just faffin about with wiring harnesses and such at the minute and then I'll be able to sort out the system. :)

Thanks for the offer!

Last edited:
Did you get SMDs for the rear plate lights? If not they'll die pretty quickly with the vibration and boot opening/closing, that's what I found anyway.

Ahh I see. I'll see how long they last and then replace them with stronger ones if need be. What are SMDs?

HORRIBLE NEWS UPDATE!!

The car started to make a knocking and whining noise, that I thought might be something to do with cv's or driveshafts so I took it to my mechanic, who investigated the areas in question.

He called me up an hour later to give me two pieces of news... The first is that the NSF has a Golf/A3 hub rather than an S3 hub on it, which is incorrect fitment and actually dangerous. New hub therefore required, and also a ball joint whilst there (second part of that fairly cheap)..

Second piece of news... The whining and knocking sound is the new gearbox I'd had fitted! Although it had been fine as soon as fitted, it had become notchy within a week in 2nd gear when cold, but fine when warmed up, which I figured I'd just learn to live with. But apparently it's now well on its way to being completely ****ed, and I've got to source a replacement immediately.

Fuming isn't the word.. I'm just so gutted at the moment that after buying the replacement 'box from s3dave and thinking I was going to be fine I'm now having to fork out another £450 within a month of getting it done, plus getting a replacement hub as well.

Merry Christmas. I'm worse than broke. :(

Was really beginning to make good progress as well.

Changed the front brake pads on Christmas eve:

119705b6.jpg

4fee6819.jpg

618bdceb.jpg

Changed the dogbone bush to the Red powerflex one:

05504938.jpg

fac8e98b.jpg

And made some good headway with the sound system, although not yet complete:

08ba0eb7.jpg

2825d2e8.jpg

97348286.jpg

And started to swap over to LED bulbs:

ef1a5918.jpg

This is the difference between the two hubs, it's clear that the one that's wrong is very near to cv joint itself and the edge of the bolt has actually sheared a little:

e3b075dd.jpg

4ba5f9b7.jpg

Oh, and had the N249 delete carried out today, and tried a THIRD longitudinal acceleration sensor done... only for the lights to show up still. Must be some form of wiring issue to resolve.

How's the s3 doing James? Need to meet ASAP to see this in flesh! Yeah rare purple that I'm giving a full detail tomorrow!! Dude I want ur alloys

9 and a half month's absence thread revival!

Yes Scottb5 that was the 'box that S3dave provided, that went pop after a couple of weeks.
Steven I don't have any real closeups of the sidelights, but I think they're standard.

So there's been a few changes since I last posted, none of which I have pictures handy to put up, but will do at some point. Since I lost posted I've changed:

- CV Joint - June '12 (and the other in a box ready to go on ASAP)
- Windscreen; failed the MOT on a chip, so has a nice new one on! - Aug '12
- Longitudinal acceleration sensor - June '12 (apparently I'd been supplied repeatedly with Lateral ones, hence the problem not going away!!) - Cheers to Stoke Audi for giving me a Forum discount on this!
- Apex 35mm lowering springs all around and replacement top mounts - The rears were in a pretty bad state, but luckily the shocks were fine! June '12
- Squeaky door fixed. Pin removed and regreased, ahhhh it's quiet again!
- Milltek non-resonated exhaust fitted! Found a back-box supercheap on eBay and had my mechanic buy in a new centre section from Milltek direct to create the system.
- MOT passed at the beginning of September! Happy happy. Did get advisories on almost all the front bushes though, so that's now on the list of things to do.
- Put her through a service for fresh oil and filters, and replaced two tyres.
- Probably plenty more over the year..

Things to do;

- Fit new CV Joint
- Fit new rear discs & pads
- Order and fit window runners for passenger window - Currently out of action!
- Take a look at the display in the clocks - Appears the cold is beginning to take its toll and it breaks up a little
- Fix dodgy volume wheel on the stereo
- Fit the two brand new tyres that have been sat in my boot for a while.

~Routledge

Still looking to get hold of a cupra front splitter, and also get together some money for a B5 TIP/Filter for a more grunty sound.

Sadly.. It's lower down the list than Christmas at the moment!

Good to see you back mate. Thought you may have sold up!

No chance! I'm doing about 20 miles per week now too due to a change of jobs, so it's not racking up the miles as much now either. :gun2: