Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ScottD3

Thread: My cup holder is stuck in the dash!

Neutral

Status

My cup holder is stuck in the dash!

Does anyone know how to get it out? It's flush with the dash and I don't want to start jamming screwdrivers in to prose it out and bugger up my piano black trim!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

King of the Mods. Apparently.

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Just keep pushing it mate, failing that, pop the dash trim off and it should come loose.

Neutral

Status
    Cool, cheers Chris. I've tried pushing it in but it won't budge. It's been like it since I got the car, but after a spilt fruit shoot incident with my little boy, I feel it's time to get it working!

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Mine was stuck fast when i got my car. As Reesy says if it wont come loose from pushing it then pop off the dash trims and then remove the whole cup holder. I soaked mine in warm water to remove all the gunged up sticky drink and then dried it out and now it slides out like a rocket.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Revo Stg 2 & Select+, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

colicabcadam
    you need to use a strong plastic clip, it wont damage the dash, then just wrench the mofo out....

The stigs ugly brother

Status
    Id also suggest giving it a lil spray of wd40(i mean tiny amount) as its usually a spilt drink thats went sticky and jammed it.

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Take the front of the dash off, remove the cup holder and do it on a bunch away from the car.

WD40 is fine but I would not want to cover the dash in it, how ever careful you are there is all ways a risk.
    Yanking is fine if you know its in the release part, if you do it when its in the lock position it will just break or snap something.

Its only a 2min job to take it out.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

colicabcadam
    Quote Originally Posted by scott b5 View Post
    Take the front of the dash off, remove the cup holder and do it on a bunch away from the car.

WD40 is fine but I would not want to cover the dash in it, how ever careful you are there is all ways a risk.
    Yanking is fine if you know its in the release part, if you do it when its in the lock position it will just break or snap something.

Its only a 2min job to take it out.
    real men would yank it lol

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by colicabcadam View Post
    Real men would end up with a more broken cup holder then!!! lol

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by colicabcadam View Post
    Real men don't need a cup holder.
    They make the women hold it!!
    5l4y3r10 likes this.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

Neutral

Status
    Cheers peoples! Only thing is, how do I get the dash trim off. After busting the super expensive cube trim on my old 330 sport, I'm scared of doing the same on the s3!

Status

My Social Networking

Just get a bit of rag and wrap it round a flat headed screw driver, then prize the trim off, it's held on by clips. I've had mine off 3/4 times, and not broken one yet

The stigs ugly brother

Status
    Or take you head unit out and yank it from the bottom.

1st Gear

Status
    mine was stuck until my friend pushed it and it came out, push it up quickly n firmly
    A3 S Line 2.0 TDI Sportback - DSG
    BOSE, cruise control, bi-xenons, MFSW, Heated seats, paddle shifts, ipod connection

19" Speedlines | Reverse camera | Eibach Sportline Springs | MY09 LED Tails | Eibach Spacers Front 10MM Rear 12MM | Pioneer HU | Private Plate | Tints | LED numberplate | Interior Light Kit

The stigs ugly brother

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andrecc View Post
    mine was stuck until my friend pushed it and it came out, push it up quickly n firmly
    You was lucky then lol

1st Gear

Status
    just be thankful you have a cupholder, ive not got one.....
    97 Green 1.8T - Stage 1 R-Tech map - SOLD

2001 B5 RS4 Avant - Misano Red - SOLD

2nd Gear

Status
    Mine has stuck too so I removed the front plate and lubed up the cupholder but it doesnt seem like the spring is strong enough to eject it.How do you remove the whole cupholder from the dash to clean it properly.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by macpdm View Post
    Mine has stuck too so I removed the front plate and lubed up the cupholder but it doesnt seem like the spring is strong enough to eject it.How do you remove the whole cupholder from the dash to clean it properly.

I removed mine today as the other half kindly spilt fanta all over it. I got two smaal flat headed screwdrivers and put them in the small recess in the dash just above the cupholder, only about a CM. Pull on the cupholder by its sides (when its closed) and gently pull it out

2nd Gear

Status
    Took mine out today washed it thoroughly in hot soapy water then dried it then applied a light coating of grease on the runners and other moving parts and now it works beautifully. Could be me but I find little jobs like this so satisfying.

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Took mine out today washed it thoroughly in hot soapy water then dried it then applied a light coating of grease on the runners and other moving parts and now it works beautifully. Could be me but I find little jobs like this so satisfying.
    Amazing how fast it shoots out now its working properly eh!
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Revo Stg 2 & Select+, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Neutral

Status

Question

Admittedly, I was doing this in the dark last night but managed to get the dash off, release cup holder but couldn't see how to disengage it all the way out for a hit soapy water treatment. Any hints/pictures, people? Or will it all be self evident in daylight???

Neutral

Status
    It's worth noting sometimes it can get jammed in because the little coil comes loose inside. Someone rammed the front seat in to the dash on mine when there was a drink in the cup holder, I pushed it in and it would not come out. The coil had come loose inside.
    '03 8L A3 TDi Quattro