Earth strap

liquids3

Reaction score
Fitted two earth strap's today,(engine to chasis),seems to drive alot better now,and everything feels alot nicer!,would recomend this to anyone or buy an earth strap!,happy day's!

Reactions: silestanix
I can't say I notice any problems, but anything that improves things can only be good! Think I'll be speaking to the electricians at work and getting some cable and lugs for a little weekend job (0;

Interesting, where were your 2 straps ran from on the engine, and to on the chassis ?
On the side nearest to the battery n,s,f (theres a 13mm bolt on either side of the engine mounts inbetween these!),and on the ofside (wing engine bay side to far part of osf engine mount)!

Let me know how you get on Westy! My Idle's spot on though.... (eek famous last words!)

My idle can be a little coughy at times. How thick were the straps you used? Could be an idea as I could do with cleaning my injectors too.

I'll try and blag a set of coils from Audi when I take it in for a health-check next weekend and clean the above this weekend. :p

Been a subject in the jap world for years. Hence why you can buy grounding kits for loads of different cars on ebay although dont seem to pop up asmuch these days. Also its why this has been on the market for years Buddy Club Racing Spec Condenser

Always been an iffy point too whether it actually does anything but good to see still that it actually does from your report.

Worth mentioning that one of the main earth points is under the battery tray and is a prime place for dodgy earth syndrome.... worth getting at it and giving it a clean... slapping a bit of Vaseline on it afterwards too...

<tuffty/>

I've just had a proper read of the above link so that I can order up the bits I need to do this next week. I'm not liking the wires daisy chained all across the top of the engine bay if I'm honest. Is there a way this can be done out of sight?

Most of it would be hidden under the engine cover wouldnt it? Atleast in black shrouding like that guide has done it disguises it better making it more OEM than having some of the ebay brightly coloured ground wires laying around everywhere. Unless you wanted a bit of colour :p

Most of it would be hidden under the engine cover wouldnt it? Atleast in black shrouding like that guide has done it disguises it better making it more OEM than having some of the ebay brightly coloured ground wires laying around everywhere. Unless you wanted a bit of colour :p

I'm ordering black. The idea is to loose the engine cover when I get my AEB head fitted.

gauge is the term used for amp power cables i think. thought the lower the thicker it is and the amount of power it can handle

gauge is the term used for amp power cables i think. thought the lower the thicker it is and the amount of power it can handle

My dad must be one useless sparky then! Maybe it's cos he's old skool :think:

I was hoping he could pinch me some from work for free but I think it'll be easier for me to buy it online. Cheers

I remember doing this years ago when i fitted a big sub/amp in my car.

Back then i think it was called the big three as you earth the three main points of the engine.

When i did mine i used some 0AWG wire ;)

If your dads a sparky he should have the proper crimping tool and rings already!

He's ****** useless mate. I asked him for 8 AWG which is effectively 8mm cable but he said they dont do 8mm, he can get 6 or 10mm! I've ordered 8mm off eBay. He said he could only get me green and yellow earth cable anyway, imagine that in my engine bay *** :)

I've found these connectors on eBay too, might be a tight fit but I cant find any to take 8mm cable:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplacee's got a decent crimping tool but thats all he's good for :whistle2:

Why in that wee tutorial have they grounded everything in the engine bay?

Is 2 points enough or is it worth doing more?

Chris

To electricians car electrics don`t make sence at first lol
How many things work by just taking a live to them then connecting to the chassis ??? no wonder there are so many spurious electrical issues with cars :)

I picked up some Tri rated 16mm heat resistant black cable from work and some 16mm lugs with 8mm hole, I'm going to give this a blast in the week :)

Reactions: chris-edin
I'll go see the street lighting guys at work, never even thought of that, nice one guys!! ^^