Audi A3 1.8T AUM Vibrating Noise inside car when starting in the morn FMIC Installed

Dj Vegas

Reaction score
Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I have installed a FMIC Intercooler and first thing in the morning there is a rattling noise coming from inside the car the dash board seems to rattle most any body had the same problems after installing the FMIC?

Only asking because uprated ones do tend to let the engine vibrate a tiny bit when cold on start up.

If you're after an uprated one, I suggest the red dogbone bush from Awesome, only about £15. I believe the yellow one is too harsh for every day driving.

Only asking because uprated ones do tend to let the engine vibrate a tiny bit when cold on start up.

If you're after an uprated one, I suggest the red dogbone bush from Awesome, only about £15. I believe the yellow one is too harsh for every day driving.

I beg to differ.... I have a the yellow Powerflex bush and THS uprated engine mounts... granted when I first installed the yellow bush there were a few vibrations but it has since (very quickly) settled and there is no noticeable vibrations or noise transmitted back...

Compared to a couple of cars I have been involved in building where there is a noticeable increase in cabin noise from vibration but that was using very solid mounts from vibratechnics...

The dogbone bush makes a difference for sure but if you are still using OEM engine mounts the engine will still flop around a lot... I see this a lot when cars are on the dyno...

<tuffty/>

Reading back through this thread... the vibrations started after the FMIC install?

If you didn't have a vibration before then I very much doubt its related to the dogbone mount... I suspect its more likely the FMIC pipework hitting the chassis somewhere or under tension maybe...

Vibrations inside the cabin are almost always a result of the engine vibration being transmitted through the body due to contact with a more solid item than an engine mount... if you mounts (dogbone included) were that bad you would be less likely to feel vibration but more a clunk or 'kangarooing' of the engine as its flops about on the mounts...

I would be checking the FMIC pipework particularly the solid pipes to see if they are touching anywhere

<tuffty/>

yes the vibrations started after the fmic install the only place that i know where the pipe is slighty touching is the back of the engine bay on the tube that comes from the turbo to the straight bit passenger side will have a look see if i can shorthen them slightly only thing is i dont have a swagger for the pipes so will be minimul on what i can take off any suggestions?

I have bought the dog bone any way sounds like a good little mod for the engine because ther is slight movement that can be felt but thats just like any car really

you could try pushing the pipes further into the silicon ones... make sure you clamp up against the beads on the solid pipes though... clamping at the end of the silicon 'because it looks better' defeats the object a bit as the pipes will move under boost..

failing that or at least to test the fix you could wedge something soft between the pipes and where its touches (assuming it is) and see if the vibrations go away or get better at least... you will then know if you are heading in the right direction before having to resort to cutting anything up...

<tuffty/>

it will be that pipe if you know its touching.

It'll be metal on something hard... so it'll make a racket.

write i put some spare silicone around the pipe near where i think its rattling it stopped it doesnt quite as bad but still doing it but its weird beacuse when the car warms up it goes and then only rattle slightly but going try pushing the pipes a little closer and hopefully wont have to cut anything as u say there is one thing aswel i need to get a decent clamp from engine to intercooler pipe see if it sort it this weekend