turbo surgeing.....

Paradox1

Reaction score
in most gears when going at a steady speed I feel the boost surging then it goes into limp mode.pretty annoying as you can imagine.has anyone had this problem before or know what it may be?

Nah haven't scanned it yet.don't have vag com so will take it to my mechanic tomorrow.just wondering if anyone has had similar problems.

Driving at a steady state you dont really generate any boost.

Even at 70 or 80mph crusing your typically always in vacuum, unless your heading up a steep hill or have a ton of headwind to combat.

well put it this way,driving at 40 in 3rd gear,turbo whistling etc then it feels like the car is speeding up even though my gas pedal hasn't moved.will get it scanned tomorrow

Ok... sounds like you have no boost control... sounds like the same sorta thing as fitting an MBC or having a faulty N75 (or in some cases, a crap map!!)

Seeing as you are hitting limp mode then first thing you need to do is scan for faults then unplug the N75 electrically (assuming you haven't got an MBC fitted)... drive with the N75 disconnected (the wiring plug not the pipes)

This 'should' drive normally albeit with less power but is a start...

What work (if any) has been carried out on the car recently? did this suddenly happen?

<tuffty/>

has been mapped my r tech stage 2 so I'm confident the its not the map,plus its been perfect until today. I don't have a mbc.I have catch tank,tip, forge dv,Cai,turboback and remap,had this before but it turned out to be the vvt which was replaced about 6mnths ago seems there's more vibrations when useless than usual.only things that different is I put some wynns injectors cleaner in the tank yesterday

yeah air leaks was pretty rough aswell,going to get it scanned then will prob get it smoke tested to see where its coming from. badger 5, would a air leak show up in vag com?

yeah air leaks was pretty rough aswell,going to get it scanned then will prob get it smoke tested to see where its coming from. badger 5, would a air leak show up in vag com?

Look at block 032... high positive value in short term trim is an indication of an air leak...

<tuffty/>

right took the car to get scanned the only fault code was torque limit exceeded. but apparently this may be down to the map.

tuffty I forgot to disconnect the n75 valve when leaving work but I will do it on my next outting and report back

disconnected the n75 and its still surges slightly but does cut out and go into limo mode. I'm going to continue driving with the n75 disconnected and check for a leak over the weekend. if that fails ill take it to the garage.

badger 5 I doubt its anything to do with r tech as its be faultless for nearly a year. but if all else fails ill give them a buzz

took the car to the garage today.got a call after work saying it was the n75 valve at fault. total cost 140quid!

maybe in dreaming, drunk or high but I swear a n75 is only 40 do why so have I been charged so much for a 5minute job??? cheesed off tbh

Thats a bit steep even for fitting aswell, there is only 3 pipes and a plug to swap over. The valves are £44 from audi, or so i have been quoted today as i suspect mine is shagged.

did get a chance to speak long as u was driving when he called.basically said he put it on a diagnostic scan and it said boost pressure low so he changed the valve.I have picked up the car,will do 2mz.don't think I'll be using him again. if he yoof me it was the n75 I would have done it myself.4 min job and 100quid in pocket

Surely he didn't crack on and change bits without getting your permission?

Whenever i have any work done garage always phones me with whats up and a price to get permission....

yeah he just did it and called to say its done.funny though,driving to work and its still doing the same thing!

ok lads,got the car back from the garage today,they checked all boost and vacum hoses,changed to maf,lambda sensor and n75.while running logs with the car on idle they noticed the car was running lean(20%) so I'm told.then the car would dump a load of fuel in to compensate,which would be too much then would try to cut the fuel as it realized it was too much,then the cycle continues. I'm hoping to take it back to r tech,will give them a call in the morning.not happy

yeah he just did it and called to say its done.funny though,driving to work and its still doing the same thing!

I wouldn't have paid it TBH, he'd have been told to stick it back as was, sounds like it hasn't sorted your problem :(

I haven't paid him as he couldnt do the job.he was fine with that.will ring r tech to see if they can help

oh I didn't know that.hope there isn't much damage done.booked in at r tech on monday,if any one is local feel free to come say hi

I have just found this thread.

Did this come back to me? I cannot remember the out come?

When a car is mapped the idle lamba wont get touched, if it was changed then the fuel trims wont read 20% they would be 0 as thats what the ecu is asking for. If the ADD/MULT trims are out then there is a hardware issues, air leak, TIP fault, evap valve, maf, post lambda exahust gas leak, pcv valve, dirty fpr, wrong frp, ect...

If the car was mapped lean then the trims would be closer to zero. A lot garages dont understand the fuel trims and what they mean, as soon as they see % correction and know the car has been mapped the are quick to the blame the map. An ecu wont dump fuel it will add more injector opening until the correct AFR is matched, the ecu will do this is a linear safe manner upto +/-25% then will give a DCT as its at the top of the correction range.

In short any fuel trim correction ADD/MULT +/-% means the engine is NOT doing what the map is asking for.

Nick

thanks nick,yeah I brought it to you and as usual you resolved the problem. I think I got another air leak now though,never ends lol

Cool, I was hoping i didnt have an unhappy car out there.

If your ever local your more than welcome to pop in for a smoke test and a health check..... just bring hobnobs... :)

Nick

lol I have a hobnob addiction aswell so I better bring a couple. thanks again Nick. one I've fitted the fmic I will get you to work your magic again :D

ah yes, R-tech and the Hobknobs, I think I'll have to stock up again! got 2 cars I need mapping in the near future!

When we fit your FMIC we can check all the hoses for leaks or incorrect fitment, Sounds daft, but I wouldn't trust 'random garage' to get it right anyway. if you havn't binned the N249 we can do that as well :)

top man prawn,I had a look at the n249 today and thought.....wtf, T piece who lol

I appreciate that,yeah any weekend is good for me buddy