450 miles out an S3 tankful is that good?

ianhg

Reaction score
Hey been doing alot of motorway driving over the weekend and managed 450 miles out of a tankful in the s3, is that good?
36mpg actual

Sounds ****** good.

Was you driving like a christian? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

thats VERY good....managed 350 once myself on a long run or two and with staying off boost other times.

If i get over 300 i'm happy!!!

i drove between 70 and 75, this tankful included 30mins of drving in london upsettting a few chav cars, then one or two porsches on the m5! after that i was very very careful about throttle movement because i had no rush to get any where

Good, Blimey, impossible more like...

I couldn't get 450 miles out of a full tank even if i was on the back of a breakdown truck... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Did you find a 450 mile hill and roll down or sommat? How the hell did you manage that?

Ade

My record is 340, and to be fair I wasn't hanging around for that, just kept speed fairly constant.

When you filled your car up did you fill the tank up or the whole car! ! ! Lol (sorry)

[ QUOTE ]
450 miles from my S3? Not in this life!

My record is 290 miles so I think you are doing very well!

[/ QUOTE ]

I will second that. my record is 320ish but I ran out of fuel attemping this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

i filled the car up with optimax, drove at 70mph with my foot not even moving. its the honest truth, i got 420 miles out of a tank on thursday, had the car remapped on friday and they 450 miles out of the tank on sat and sunday, it was down to 5 miles on the dis when i filled up.
guys im not telling porkies honest,

About 410 is the most i've had steady 80-90 motorway driving for it all, normally its between 250-300 depending on how heavy i'm with the go pedal. I know one thing though its a pain in the **** to fill up the pumps just keep clicking off wherever i go to fill up.

450 miles means you aren't driving it properly!

Why bother getting remaps and other mods done if all you people are worried about fuel economy?

Hang your head in shame!

Gee's,

I'm getting rid of my Golf TDI and getting my S3 back out and getting one of those chips from JBS if thats what you are getting!

Most ever has been 330 or there about. Normally 250ish when driven 'properly'

Mate,

450 out of a tank? Are you an ex member of the desiel brigade by any chance? I am lucky if I break 300 out of mine of which 250 of that is motorway driving at no more than 80. I have hit 400 once and that was my most painful week of driving for some years.

Seriously though 450 is very good but two questions spring to mind.

a) If you are bothered about fuel consumption then why didnt you buy a diesel.

b) Why have a turbo car and not use it. Getting 450 out of a tank must mean your tubo will have cob webs inside.

Hopefully this hasnt offended you but enjoy your car & remember 'a boot a day keeps the cob webs away'.

To be fair to Ian, he hasn't said he's bothered about economy. It's just an observation. He hasn't said he NEEDS to get 450 miles out of a tank, or ALWAYS gets 450 miles out of a tank!

Same with me - my work commute is 40-50mph on A-roads. That happens to give great fuel economy... Which is nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I'll still boot it when I want, or need, to!

Just if your driving happens to be in economical conditions, i.e. loads of traffic doing 50mph... There's no point sitting at 5000rpm while you're doing it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just because he has had 450miles out of a tank does not mean he drives slowly all the time.

Its all about smoothness!!

I say fair play to him. Well done!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

I had about 420 - 450 last year when I went to GTi International. Stayed about 75 - 80 on the motorway and it returned excellent results.

450 blimey, i'd be lucky to get 300 i don't do much motorway mileage... to get that much.. all you guys must be staying under 2500rpm at least..

Hey guys thanks for the comments,

I used to own a tdi and got bored of the tractor noise. On this occasion i just had no need to drive fast up and down the motorway. as there was no rush to get anywhere, except for the 19yr old female student i stayed with on saturday night. :)

I dont drive slow and i dont drive like a ****. I drive to the speed limits in anything apart from national speed limits and duel carriage ways. On that day i had a bit of stuff in the boot so wanted to wait till the car was light before i went out for a play, which i did as soon as i got home. I gave the car a proper good thrashing and bedded in the brembos good and proper.

My engine sees the red line at least once when i go out for a drive, I am a pilot so am used to having alot of power at my control and am able to be restrained when i need to. You are welcome to come down and see what i can do in this car! i have a sick bag in the glove box just in case!

1) 450 out of a tank
2) 19 year old student
3) Pilot

Anything else? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What else to i need to say really,
fast job
fasy car
fast women,
lol
ps i am not an arrogent big headed person. thats the honest truth.

450!! Wow. I can get about 330 miles out of a tank. I fill it up every week and calculate the fuel consumption (and have done from the day I bought it just over a year ago - sad I know, but could be a good indicator if anything starts going wrong). I do 50 miles a day and give it some stick. It's modified to 275 bhp, but I have heard people say here before that chipping can improve fuel consumption over the standard setup. One thing that my year long test has shown is that the DIS lies. Mine says an average of 29.2mpg, when the actual value is about 26mpg. Also by totalling my individual trip mileage records and comparing to the odometer, they don't match!!!! And rounding of the trip records doesn't account for the difference......wierd.

Dont get me wrong, I normally get about 300 ish miles for everyday driving, but on a long journey which is all motorway and sticking to about 75 - 80 its easily achievable!