AMK ECU Diagram - Secondary Water Pump

Y

Yohan87

After dropping an AMK in to a Bora 4motion it appears the wiring for the secondary water pump is not on the engine loom for the S3 so I'm assuming it's on the other one.

Unfortunately the Bora doesn't have this on it's other one so I will need to run a cable to the ECU.

I believe the ECU supplies the live for this pump for a certain time period after engine switch off to reduce hot spots.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram that would let me know what pin on the ECU I'm aiming for?

Thanks

Are you sure? I was under the impression the fan controller was responsible for the after run pump... IIRC, after run pumps weren't fitted to a lot of VW 's...

I have the ecu diagram for the AMK somewhere so if I get time tonight I'll have a look...

<tuffty/>

Pretty sure.

The Bora V6 engine didn't have this feature as standard so when I fitted the S3 engine will all its bits I was left with an after run pump but no connections to plug in to it.

Now that I have it I wouldn't mind using it since these 1.8T's get quite toasty even in Aberdeen...

AMK-fan-pump.jpg

<tuffty/>

Awesome, thank you :)

So assuming I'm reading the diagram correctly..

The -ve connection is switched from a relay in the coolant pump control unit which turns the pump on/off.

What does this control unit look like?

To answer my own question...

Audi Vw Radiator Fan Control Module Unit , Controller 1J0 919 506 K | eBay

Looks like I need to get myself one of these and just run the wires needed to the ECU and away I go.

$%28KGrHqYOKm8E5JPC1c8TBOdg2OFfFQ%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Final question then..do I need to buy special crimps to plug wires in to the ECU?

When I did my cruise control the ECU plug had the connectors (uncrimped) already in there... yours may have too but if you have the loom off the S3 then you could just cut the wires from that as tails and solder the new lengths to them... in answer to your question, you can only use special crimp terminals for the ecu... not sure what they are called or where you can get them from but somewhere like RS Components etc may have some if you can't find any already in the ecu plugs or use tails from the other loom...

<tuffty/>

I think it does have a connection to the ECU, I think the ECU passes a signal so it knows for how long to run after your turn the engine off, based on temperature?

yeah i assume connection 60 is it... Maybe i'll get some kind of timer relay made up, can't be that hard.

The S4 uses a similar controller, and its nowt to do with the ECU.

Its triggered by a second temperature sensor mounted in the coolant rail.

That diagram doesnt seem to match the picture shown. Pic shown has many pins, the diagram doesnt.

Can anyone shed any more light on this? I'm putting an AMK engine in my mk1 caddy and struggling to find any info on how to wire the secondary water pump up correctly.

The radiator fan control unit, in the picture above? What about wiring, that seems to have 18 pins, but the pump only has 2?!