Quick advice needed please

macpdm

Reaction score
I was just about to go and inspect the passenger side leccy window just to find out what the problem is. Last week I opened the window and when I tried to close it the window came up a couple of inches then went back down. Im assuming the clip may have broken but do I take the doorcard off to inspect it with the window up or down ?

Door card will come off with up or down

Cheers buddy
It would be easier if I can inspect the problem with the window up for obvious reasons but is it more advantageous up or down ?

If you plug the switches back in when the door card is off, you can move the window up/down

You need the window half way up to see/inspect the window clips, with the door card off, I just stuck my carkey into the door lock to wind the windows up and down, but it does both sides this way.

Thanks guys

Ive taken the door card off to have a look but cant see anything obvious. Nothing appears broken looking at the clips and feeling around the back of them. I put the window down which it does no problem but wont go back up unless I shoved the window from underneath. It seemed as if the motor was struggling to push the window back up so I sprayed the runners with WD40 but of course you can only spray one side of the runner but it didnt seem to make a lot of difference. Unless I take the door frame off I guess I wont be able to see what the problem is. The only problem is though it looks like you need a large torx bit which I dont have.

Does this sound like broken clips or a liberal greasing of the runners is needed ?

Last edited:
if it closed up. then came back down a bit it means the window thinks there is something trapping it.

clean the runners and door frame where the window goes into

should fix the problem

The window drops all the way down then will only come back up 2 or 3 inches before dropping back down again.

If you've not seen it already, this is the guide for the clips:
Audi A3 Electric Windows Fix

Cheers Jason

I have seen that guide its very good and pretty much describes what I am experiencing. Just an update I have had the doorcard off again and greased the hell out of the runners but its still sticking. I think it will be a doorframe off job and replace the clips but does anyone know what size torx bit is needed to get the frame off ?

Last edited:
Actually from past experience, the broken part can't be seen unless you have done it before, as it's facing the outside where the wires are clipped into the plastic clips that break.

Is the cable all intact? It had snapped on mine giving the same problem as you have got there.

Guys can anyone advise what Torx bits I will need to do the job please ?