S3 fuel pump issues

jemis

Reaction score
Hi Guys hope somebody can help with this one, in the last week my S3 has failed to start on a couple of occasions, evntually It has started but the problem is that the fuel pump is not starting up as you can't hear it purge, the first time I got the rac out and he jacked the car up and hit the petrol tank and car started, the guy said the fuel pump was sticking. 3 days later I had the same problem so I jacked the car up tried hitting the fuel pump several times but no joy and the battery was starting to go down after all the none starts so gave up, after 5 minutes sussing out what to do I tried to start again and it fired straight up.

Has anyone had this problem ifso what was the cause I'm hoping it might be a dodgy relay but knowing my luck it will be much more expensive.

have read a few threads on here now with what sounds like exactly the same problem but none have mentioned getting the problem solved, anyone had it and fixed it, there are no other symtoms just that the pump doesn't prime and the engine doesn't start, I don't really want to spend a fortune changing everything if it's something like the relay or a bad connection etc

Have you checked for fault codes?....

Could well be a relay but the only way to check is to systematically go through the wiring to the pump... I would start with a fault code scan first and then check the wiring at the pump working back from there...

<tuffty/>

I haven't had it scanned so don't know of any error codes, all I can say is that both times this happened once running there are no problems what so ever no unusual noises from pump running smoothly with full power etc and I have been using the car for 2 days since without it happening again but I know it will happen again soon so would rather try and fix it before it does