S3 Coilovers

MIS3ILE

Reaction score
Hi,
bought an 8l s3 a while back and just recently fitted some coilovers (diy job), c.v. boot was knackered so took it to the local garage and they fitted a new one, whilst it was in i asked them to check the coilovers, they said all seemed fine so I've been driving it normally.
There are a few knocks and creaks when driving slowly or reversing, deffo knocks when in full lock.
Is something wrong or am i just being paranoid????

Haven't had chance to get a 4 wheel alignment done yet and also need to buy some adjustable tie bars coz the camber on the back is ridiculous, dunno if this has anything to do with the knocks and creaks.

Would massively appreciate any help.

cheers.

Have a look at the top mounts and ARB bushes would be my recommendations.

Checked them, all fine.
Could it be they are just **** quality coilovers?

How have you checked the top mounts? Take the top mount trumpet it off and see if the nut style washer is tight, more than likely itll be loose and causing your knocking, mine was and sorted in yesterday, no more knocking now :0.

I doubt it will be the quality of the coilovers, if it is just a knocking it is probably not.

A slow or too fast rebound, sloshy or harsh ride combined with knocking would suggest shocks. Knocking on it's own suggests top mounts of a bearing/bush. Have you checked the drop links?

they were FK ones, they were like £300 so probs just need to get some decent ones, any recommendations??

checked them by doing exactly wot u said mate, all seemed fine.

Fks are good mate (well i think they are) - i've got them, mine creaked for like 2 weeks even after a full 4 wheel allignment . then they settled in and they're fine now. the ride is firm but not unbearable and the handling is vastly improved over standard I got my custom tie arms from s3dave on here - can't fault them. or the fks.

about 20% of AK's rear dampers make a knocking sound, i had mine changed under warrenty, i suggest you do the same - they will get worse and they WILL leak, they clearly had a bad batch made that's still out on the market

about 20% of AK's rear dampers make a knocking sound, i had mine changed under warrenty, i suggest you do the same - they will get worse and they WILL leak, they clearly had a bad batch made that's still out on the market

Could well be onto something here like, sorry for being a complete donkey but what are the drop links??

Droplinks01.jpg

open your boot, sit on it and bounce it up and down, you'll hear it, 99% it's the rear dampers, google fk dampers knocking, thing is returning them can be a long process - test my theory, as long as you have not lowered the car too much put the old damper back on and then bounce the back again.....