Is the ride quality any better with 17s?

ImS3ola

Reaction score
If it is, i'm seriously considering switching my 18s for some standard avus 17s. Living in London (official speed bump and pothole capital of the world) with the 18s is starting to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif me right off. I dont know whether it's due to the alloy size or suspension on the S3, but the ride is so 'crashy' and harsh over bumps - the ride in my brothers S2000 with 18s is much better than my S3 and that's meant to be a proper sports car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If it makes a difference, i'm running Eagle F1 GSD3 225/18/40 tyres.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

TBH... I don't notice much difference running 19s compared to 17s !

I didn't noticed any difference going from 17's to 18's....

Jeez.....there must be a lot of numb people on this forum!

18s down to 17s will make the ride more compliant...it will feel less crashy...but the handling will suffer.
On 17s the car will roll slightly on the sidewalls and the turn in will not be as sharp nor precise.

As for people not noticing 15s up to 17s...they are polar opposites! Massive differences, at least to me.

I'm not sure that going to 17s in your case, will give you what you seek though...it may help...but I doubt it'll solve the problem.

indeed going to 17 from 15 is a MAJOR difference
especially here in greece, where the road are f**ed up... i feel like i am driving in a mountain or sth

Hmm, well as far as ride "Quality" (i.e. bumps, etc.) I didn't notice much difference from std 15's to my 17's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Now as far as "Handling" is concerned (i.e. cornering) then the move made a HUGE difference. Then again, the roads here in Germany are, for the most part, in pretty good shape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

never tried 17's always had 18's on both my S3's.

wouldnt worry about the speed humps.

last i read they were considering digging the lot up.