AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Brakes and discs finally need replacing - any difference in OEM GSF and genuine audi?

Obviously am not a heavy brake user, my S3 has had the same pads and discs on for the last 70,000 miles! Too many motorway miles I guess.

Anyway, they do need replacing now, I got the following quotes for front and rear discs and pads (not interested in uprating brakes for obvious reasons):

Audi - £343 (includes 10% parts discount)
    GSF - £198 (Brembo I think)
    AVS/VWSpares - £201 (TRW)

Is there any reason not to just go for the GSF ones, are there any differences with the ones I would get from Audi?

Incidentally if anyone is interested my local Audi (maybe others) are doing a "deal" on full discs/pad brake replacements at the moment of £249 for fronts and £249 for rears all incl. Not bad for Audi maybe but still a bit steep if you can DIY...

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I bought some genuine Audi discs off Draco on eBay for 80 delivered. They've been spot on and no vibration / warping. Keep your eye on the bay. Genuine stuff is much cheaper on there
    '01 AMK, completely standard except for the Ambient Lighting Pack.

Status
    Genuine stuff is not made by Audi. Audi do not make brake parts. They use Jurid or Pagid, so save your self some money and get the "genuine" article from GSF
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Smell my finger.

Status
    Get Pagid ones from Euro.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

2nd Gear

Status
    I know that, but I've had other brands of 312mm discs on other cars and they have not stood up to the punishment these have resisted...
    '01 AMK, completely standard except for the Ambient Lighting Pack.

Smell my finger.

Status
    Mine get a good shoeing (although my cars not as heavy as an S3) and they seem fine. Unlike my old ones that turned to cheese on me.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

2nd Gear

Status
    If I managed 70k out of a set of disks and pads then I'd be going with the originals from Audi or TPS. OEM manufactured bits are great but there is no saying that they are made with exactly the same materials as the parts they supply the manufacturer with.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by a3tdi2001 View Post
    If I managed 70k out of a set of disks and pads then I'd be going with the originals from Audi or TPS. OEM manufactured bits are great but there is no saying that they are made with exactly the same materials as the parts they supply the manufacturer with.
    OEM are the same as you would buy from the manufacturers, don't kid yourself lol

1st Gear

Status
    for general use (not people that seem to drive like they stole it everywhere) get the best priced OEM parts you can, do not get the euro or GSF cheap alternative.

as someone said, go to gsf and price up proper ones, they will have them listed/stocked usually.

They will last well and not give any unwanted noise/judder/pedal feel like cheap alternatives will.

and apologies, i know im repeating what some of you guys have already said
    97 Green 1.8T - Stage 1 R-Tech map - SOLD

2001 B5 RS4 Avant - Misano Red - SOLD

1st Gear

Status
    Looking on the euro website, they don't explicitly say which are OEM but they do say Pagid so I guess thats them. GSF said they had Jurid or Brembo and I'm guessing from what's been said here its Jurid that are OEM.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieantifreeze View Post
    for general use (not people that seem to drive like they stole it everywhere) get the best priced OEM parts you can, do not get the euro or GSF cheap alternative.

as someone said, go to gsf and price up proper ones, they will have them listed/stocked usually.

They will last well and not give any unwanted noise/judder/pedal feel like cheap alternatives will.

and apologies, i know im repeating what some of you guys have already said
    How did you know what make your getting on the GSF website cat ?
    2003 - Akoya silver A4 1.9 tdi (100) Sport

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by doublem_1 View Post
    OEM are the same as you would buy from the manufacturers, don't kid yourself lol
    I'm not kidding anyone mate. Lol.