Volks AutosAH Fabrications

Thread: Brake Question

2nd Gear

Status

Brake Question

Fitted new pads and discs to the front of my s3 today fairly easy being honest, but ive been told the rears are more difficult, is it worth me trying or shall i just take it to a garage.
    anybody fitted rears before? and also wanted to bleed the brake system and put new fluid in, anybody done that too?

help appreciated

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Rears are easy enough... two bolts hold the calipers on, two bolts hold the carriers to the hub... carrier off to change the discs... use new bolts for the caliper (normally supplied with pads) and copper grease the slider pins...

Only pain is you need a piston winding tool that winds the caliper piston back in (self adjust for handbrake...)... I have tried doing it manualy like I have done on other cars but for some reason it doesn't work... tool took a minute to wind it back in...

Bleeding... get a Gunsons Eezi Bleed kit... don't use more than 20psi in the tyre you use to pressure it... start from the back so passenger rear, then drivers rear... passenger front then drivers front... also do the master cylinder (2 x 7mm bleed nipples that are an arse to get too and undo)

Keep an eye on the fluid level in the bottle as it goes down and when you first put the eezi bleed on, connect the cap to the reservoir first then to the bottle while its empty (no bleed nipples undone) and pressurise... tighten the cap on the reservoir until no hissing can be heard as it almost always leaks (and can be overtightened) so if you do this initially with fluid in it will leak out everywhere...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

2nd Gear

Status
    cheers bud just ordered one of those gunsons eezi bleed, clever little kit, trying find the piston tool now