high miles!

belfastone

Reaction score
Hi Guys & Girls!
Im new to this forum, im usually on the e90 post forum (Ive a 330d) but Ive just bought a cheap but nice A3 for the missus. - So I will be lingering around here too.

Now for a question! or two..lol
The A3 I bought is a 2002 SE 1.6 petrol with 136K milage, should I be worried with such high milage??, the car is driving and feeling great. Its in the garrage now getting new pads and an oil/filter change just as precaution.

Question 2. The drivers window wont go down, you hear an electrim mechanism going but nothing, maybe this is common if so any tips?

Thanks for reading, now I will go hae a look at pics & tips while waiting /hoping for a few replies..

Marty.

so you buy a car with high mileage and then ask questions later if it's ok LOL - typical bmw owner (only joking, don't get offended and cry)

best thing to do for the window is take the door panel off and look, it's a 10 minute job, 5 screws in total I believe, one near the mirror, one near the lock, one for the handle clip and then there's 2 behind that (i think)

Im thick skinned mate, so all is well..lol I sorta didnt want to mention the BM thing either..lol
Ill get the pannel off and take a look, cheers!

Is 150K possible out of a petrol Audi, or any petrol car? guess im after a little peace of mind..or I could "suck it and see"

150k is easy out of a petrol Audi im certain there are others on the forum who`s cars have done more than that. Mine has just passed 132k and is still as sweet as a nut on original clutch & turbo too.

Reactions: belfastone
Our old A4 1.8T had 195k on it before it needed any serious work. The oil pump had worn out, and while it still ran and drove prefectly fine, the pressure was below spec and it would start rattling if left idling when hot.

I was going to simply replace the pump, but got a good deal on a complete engine so simply swapped the whole thing out.

Its still running with 205k on it now.

Obviously there are parts which wear out, although often with age as much as mileage. You'll find the rubber bushes on the front wishbones and rear beam will be shot, and its worth replacing them as the car will drive a lot better.

Regular oil changes is key to engine longevity. Use a quality 5w40 synthetic oil, and change it lots. I try to do mine every 5k, but 8-10 would probably be fine on a non-turbo.

After that its just really general maintenance.

136,000 miles is nothing, the Audi engines are very long lived provided they are maintained well, regular oil changes esssential, and do not use the Audi Variable Servicing lark, it kills them, stick to the normal 10,000 service intervals, and use good quality oil and you'll be fine. Cam belt change if not already done should be a essential next move. One downside that you definately find with owning your Audi, and that that your BMW will soon feel inferior in terms of build quality and durability lol

Reactions: belfastone
I am tempted to trade the 330D for an A4.. love the look of the new one! but if I do it will have to be a 3.0 as the tourque in the BM is fantastic!
Good news on the engine reliability then, I wasnt too worried as it seems 100% while idle & driving.

Cheers guys!

Last edited:
I would have to agree with sportquattro re build quality having had several beemers the Audi build quality is superior but the BMW drive is arguably better.

Picked the car up from the garage, got oil, air, oil filters & rear pads done.
I also need.. Oxygen sensors post & pre cat sensor & a regulator (Only) for driver side window then im all good!