Audi A3 1998 1.9TDi Turbo Cut-off at around 3000rpm in 5th Gear..Help!!!!

A-H

Reaction score
Can someone please help me.

I have got a 98 1.9Tdi 110bhp a3 with 170,000 miles on the clock. It's become really annoying that I keep losing power on the motorway and the turbo shuts off. When I restart the car, the car is fine until I hit about 3000rpm on 5th gear again.

It's not so bad for town driving but on the motorway it really does become annoying.

I've replaced the vacuum hoses on the car and this has made no difference.Disconnected the MAF and this has made no difference either.

Can somebody help please!...Also, if anyone near Luton has VAGCOM and is willing to diagnose my car, there is a free drink / curry! :D

Thanks

It's going in to limp mode. Probably over boosting. I have the same problem, but if I take my MAF off the engine starts in limp mode. If unplugging your maf makes no difference then I highly suggest buying a new one as that is a sure fire diagnoses of the problem part.

Mine however is still alluding me!

Reactions: A-H
I almost guarantee it'll be the vanes on the vnt that are sticking or stuck. When this happens the car over boosts and after about 20 seconds of this car goes into limp mode. Removing the turbo andcleaning the vanes of the variable vanes will solve tour problem. Have a seRch on TDI forums on how to do this.

Thanks, I will surely look into both suggestions. Another thing does this affect the amount of black smoke coming out of the exhaust due to hard acceleration?

I almost guarantee it'll be the vanes on the vnt that are sticking or stuck. When this happens the car over boosts and after about 20 seconds of this car goes into limp mode. Removing the turbo andcleaning the vanes of the variable vanes will solve tour problem. Have a seRch on TDI forums on how to do this.

Agree with the above really, VAGCOM won't show anything if it's the above, especially when it resets itself when the ignition is turned off and back on!

My B5 Passat TDI on 186k miles does it occasionally, and it's usually under boost going up a hill when it happens, but it's so rare on my car, I'm not too bothered about it!

Has anyone found what the fault is her as my 2000plate 1.9tdi does the same thing and i have replaced Turbo, Maf, blanked the EGR off and still does it