side light bulbs

speedy lynn

Reaction score
Hi boys I have a side light bulb out and need to replace it, I have noticed a s3 with really bright side light they are ultra white and would match my headlights, but im going to halfords in the mornning to get some silicon spray to cure a squeak and will get them to fit new side light bulbs " dont want to break a nail" what ones are best and what do I ask for?

Replaced mine with LEDs. Much improved:

DSC_0100.jpg

Yes. They're not actually as bright as they appear in the picture above, but do emit a nice blue/white light which is much better than the standard side-light bulbs. Fitted them about a year ago with no problems at all. Here's a link:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Ive had about 4 different sets of LED sidelight bulbs and they all keep blowing!!!

Dont know why, the current ones I have are a cluster of 6 and on both sides, only 1 led is now lit!!!

Any ideas why this would happen??

Im going to get another set again and see if they are any better.

rightttt, i got my leds the other day andddd guess what... my hands are too big to get the buggers out, how can ya do it? ive tried undoing the lights but it seems alot of work to just change two little bulbs so i gave up haha

help please :)

much love knoxie

You can do it, they are wedged in very tight as well, you basically need patience and be prepared for grazed and cut up hands!!

If your hands are too big, on a serious note, it may be worth getting someone else with smaller hands to do it.

Ive had about 4 different sets of LED sidelight bulbs and they all keep blowing!!!

Dont know why, the current ones I have are a cluster of 6 and on both sides, only 1 led is now lit!!!

Any ideas why this would happen??

Im going to get another set again and see if they are any better.
Same here must be crap quality, ive just bought the cluster ones to see how they go, not happy with my shovel like hands...although i can get them in and out in 5 mins now...

rightttt, i got my leds the other day andddd guess what... my hands are too big to get the buggers out, how can ya do it? ive tried undoing the lights but it seems alot of work to just change two little bulbs so i gave up haha

help please :)

much love knoxie
I've always changed mine by pulling the cables to bring the old bulb and the holder out to the top of the light, change it and push it back in. A squeeze but not too bad. I think I had to remove the battery to change the nearside one though.

Mine have been fine since I fitted them a year ago (they'll blow tomorrow, just wait!). They're in a cluster of 4 LEDs I believe and all are still working fine. I think I had to remove the battery on the nearside too. My hands are fairly small and I managed it by gently but firmly pulling the bulb wires as Aar0n said. Wouldn't usually do this but it was fine.

Happy to rent out my small hands for this job at a tenner per side.

Mine have been fine since I fitted them a year ago (they'll blow tomorrow, just wait!). They're in a cluster of 4 LEDs I believe and all are still working fine. I think I had to remove the battery on the nearside too. My hands are fairly small and I managed it by gently but firmly pulling the bulb wires as Aar0n said. Wouldn't usually do this but it was fine.

Happy to rent out my small hands for this job at a tenner per side.
You better emphasise that they are only for rent for changing the bulb, before your inbox is full b4 2am!! Lol

i am sure it;s easier to pull a tooth out than the side light bulbs, who the hell designed them lol

Ok I will ask the mr thicky question :)

Are these bulbs retrofit or is some kind of mod needed ?

Just need a pair of LED 501 (W5W) fitting bulbs.

I got a pair that were supposedly designed to work with the can bus system to make sure you done get any bulb out errors on the dis screen as LED`s can make this happen.

I paid about £2.99 inc P+P for mine off ebay so far all is good and they are plug n play (once you work out how to remove the old bulbs)

these are similar to the ones i bought 2x 501 194 W5W CAN-BUS 5SMD CAR LED SIDE LIGHT BULBS VW GOLF AUDI A4 A6 A3 BENZ | eBay

Concidering doing my Fog lamp bulbs now too.

Can't remember to be honest. Have a search around on here. My LEDs were a direct fit with no DIS errors at all.

i have done it!! well my little bro done it :)

and it only took him just a simple pull.

thanks for you help guys :)

knoxie

Like s3dave said - wiggle & pull. Like being in a nightclub during my student days...

Reactions: Tj 0785
You don't have to take the battery out, just unbolt it from the base and tilt it back. You can then clip off the back of the light and twist the cover 90 degrees to get to the sidelight. Still get scratched to pieces though :)

You don't have to take the battery out, just unbolt it from the base and tilt it back. You can then clip off the back of the light and twist the cover 90 degrees to get to the sidelight. Still get scratched to pieces though :)

You do this on a prefacelift, facelift is different, as the Xenons and the sidelight positions have been swopped around!