miles

17AUG2002

Reaction score
how many mile do you do a year? say me i am moveing soon to wigan and i will travel to oldham 60miles round trip.thats 20k year is it worth geting my car on to LPG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif but dont want sell S3 p.s house are about 20k lease in wigan

I used to do Oldham to Preston Mon - Fri. Clocked up Nearly 20k in 8months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Cost me between £80 and £100 a week for optimax....woooot!

Canged jobs now and I can now save the car for weekend use only woo hoo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

so what do you think LPG or get 1.9d polo 50/60 mpg or A3 2.0 TDI S/LINE QUATTRO?

I seem to manage 12k a year and I live in central London and don't commute by car!

I think LPG's only worth it on a new car when you can get the powershift grant thingy from the government to pay for the conversion.

Obviously go for the A3 over a Polo.

I keep my S3 for Eve's and weekends and drive a Old Polo that I paid £500 for back and fore to work. I do 80 miles round trip every weekday. Saves an absolute fortune on petrol costs and it also has the advantage of being able to leave it anywhere without worrying about it!

Great for going out on the p**s! Drive it to the pub, leave it there overnight and pick it up next day! Think of the taxi savings! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you are doing 60 miles round trip a day you will hit 25,000 miles a year easily I would have thought. I used to have a 65 mile round trip and used to do around 35,000 miles a year, don't ask me where the extras come from cause I don't know, I now live above my business, but with just general running around I still do 15- 20,000 miles a year no problem.

I changed from a 2.5tdi Avant to a 2.0tdi S-Line, I was going to get the quattro but the mpg was about the same as the avant (around 32-38mpg) so I couldn't see it was worth it to be honest, I get 44.5mpg round town in the 2.0tdi and over 55mpg crusing at 80mph.

Sit down and work out how much it will cost to change your car, the amount of people I know who change to save fuel when it is a false economy is untrue.

I don't know your car but say it is a Y plate with 40k on it and worth £13k, if you buy a 2.0tdi quattro at say £23k with some spec., not lets be fairer, say you buy a basic 2.0tdi quattro sport that is 18 months old at £19,500k, you need to find another £6,500.
Say you finance that over 36 months, it will cost you approx. £180 a month extra.

to do those miles in your car @ approx. 28mpg will cost you £265 month in petrol.

to do those miles in a 2.0tdi quattro @ approx. 38mpg will cost you £225 in fuel a month

if you bought a 2.0tdi FWD you would probably get over 50mpg average, so to do those miles in one of those @ approx. 50mpg it would cost you around £170 in fuel a month.

So even with the 2.0tdi fwd it would still be cheaper to keep your S3.

Another way to look at it is how long would it take to make the £6,500 back in fuel savings?

Well if the S3 costs 265 a month to run and the tdi was costing 170 that means you save £95 a month, so it would take you 6 1/2 years to break even.
False economy, reasons to buy a diesel as far as I am concerned are and only if you are buying new or almost new, excellent residuals because no one works out the above, and there is a saving in fuel if you are buying it new, if you buy used the extra you pay for it being a diesel doesn't work out math wise.

If however you fancy a new car, then go for it, but don't buy it to try and save money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you are paying for your S3 on finance though that makes a difference, the S3 drops in value heavily with milage, where as a diesel A3 with 60k on it is considered almost run in.

Well the S3 is 52 plate with 19 k on now i paid 16k for it 2 months ago.I did not forsee that i would sell my house in two week thats what as happend. May change jobs or get a cheep runner

[ QUOTE ]
so what do you think LPG or get 1.9d polo 50/60 mpg or A3 2.0 TDI S/LINE QUATTRO?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can imagine converting to LPG will affect the resale value badly and as it costs an arm and do the conversation it's probably not a realistic option.

Running the S3 over a diesel will cost you around £100 or so a month extra (if you don't hammer it) which isn't much, especially as the S3 doesn't depreciate that badly. I've seen 100K plus models on V reg going for over £10K.

If cost is a real issue then why not look at an older 1.9TDi A3 or even a Focus TDCi or something similar....?