Ive changed my HID bulbs and now one takes a few goes to come on????

S3 Paul

Reaction score
I bought a pair of 6000k bulbs for my head lights and since fitting them the drivers one takes a a few turns on and off to come on.
Is this down to the bulb or the balast pack on its way out??

Are you sure the connectors fitted in properly? Also do you get a warning bulb come on in the dashboard when u turn them on?

It will be the ballast, Paul. If it was the bulb, it probably wouldn't light up at all. The ballast is intermittently failing to ignite, so will probably need to be replaced at some point. Same thing happened to the HIDS DIRECT 6000K D2S kit I fitted in my last car, ..used to have to switch lights off and on again to get my driver's side to light up. I swapped over to a kit from www.xenonshop.co.uk in the end and it was much better quality in every way and my Xenons never let me down again. HTH. Paula :wub: x

Paul its common. All 8ls i know off with aftermarket bulbs do it. Mines the same and ive had mine in for the last 2 years, youll find it only happens this time of year when the temp starts to drop.

Had the same problem with my wifes car, intermittent problem where one or other light wouldn't light up, every twenty goes or so, until one day one of the bulbs blew. Got a new set and just replaced the pair, as the light from the new bulbs were ever so slightly different from the old ones, and haven't had the problem since. So mightn't just be the ballast as suggested. You could just try the bulbs, they aren't that expensive and you'll probably need spare bulbs anyway at some stage.

Paul - Where did you get the bulbs from?

I have the same thing. I got 8000k bulbs off Ebay and they do the same thing, probably because they're a cheap brand. They've always done this for the past 2 years!

Here's the trick.....

Turn the switch on full to put headlights on, bulb warning thing will come up but ignore it, just leave the switch there in that position for 15secs, after 15secs turn switch 1 notch back to sidelights and flick back to headlights and watch how it will work :) Saves you flicking the switch on and off like crazy!

I'm having the same issue mine on mine. Bought a pair from Ebay to and had to send 2 back for replacements! Same symptoms not coming on all the time and when they do eventually they flicker for about 5secs when they do turn on... Eventually they failed to come on at all when they do this. Getting tired of sending them back for replacements so bitten the bullet and bought some decent ones from: High Quality D2S Upgrade Xenon HID Headlight Bulb - 6000k...

Last time I buy a cheap £20 pair from Ebay.

PS Wasn't the ballast as tested my bulb on both sides...

Last edited:
Paul - Where did you get the bulbs from?

I have the same thing. I got 8000k bulbs off Ebay and they do the same thing, probably because they're a cheap brand. They've always done this for the past 2 years!

Here's the trick.....

Turn the switch on full to put headlights on, bulb warning thing will come up but ignore it, just leave the switch there in that position for 15secs, after 15secs turn switch 1 notch back to sidelights and flick back to headlights and watch how it will work :) Saves you flicking the switch on and off like crazy!

Thanks mate,
I did this today and... it worked !
Finaly i willnt look like a dogger looking for action when leaving a dark car park anymore !!

Just for reference, both S3's I have owned does this when it goes cold, I've found that if I fire the car up and let it idle for 10-15secs first before flicking the lights on usually lights up both sides.