Anybody got rear parking sensors?

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
If so, are they original and where are they mounted on the rear bumper - i.e. the lower or upper half?

yes. original. mounted in the grey inlay in the rear bumper.

but its a slightly differnt inlay to the standard S3 flat item.

register on www.photobucket.com for free, upload off your harddrive then you create a link to here using the

[ QUOTE ]
ok... this has annoyed me just too much now... I am a thicko... how do I post a pic, It would appear there is still a way to do it without hosting it yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope! I can't work it out either!

I also have parking sensors, not sure if they're OEM ones, they were fitted at Fontain when the previous owner bought the car (have the invoice) they are on the (upper part) bumper and work fine (not as annoying as I thought they would be!) and look like any other parking sensors (if they're not OEM).

Doubt this helps much.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

OEM's are fitted in the lower grey insert in the rear bumber. They are more discreet than the ones fitted to the coloured section of the bumper like the aftermarket ones.

[ QUOTE ]
yep those are just like the pic I was going to post, anyone retro fitted it? as I reckon it's pretty easy, might have a look on ETKA later and see if I can figure out what parts I would need.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mind them either if someone figures out parts and fitment. I assume you tap into the reversing light switch and have some sort of buzzer in the cockpit? I wonder if there is already a loom running to the back of the car?

I assume the buzzer or whatever it is is also at the back of the car, doesn't seem any point to make it more complicated than it needs to be, although I did just forget then for a sec I'm talking about an Audi... will have a look tonight.

I priced these up when i had my second S3 as my first one had them. They work out at around £700 as you cant buy a kit, you have to buy every component seperately.

there are plenty of 3rd party kits for about £150 on the internet

When you select reverse, a beep alerts you there are active and the beeps more frequently until a constant tone when you are close. The beeps seem to come from the dash area or even maybe the speakers!

They are a bit dodgy to be honest as you think your right near but you still have at least 8-12". Also if you go back to quick there is a slight delay on them about 3 seconds - oops!

I got an aftermarket kit off the net for about £45, for my A4. The four sensors went into the lower bumper trim, the control unit sits in the boot somewhere, & an audio visual display is mounterd in the car. I'll find the link when I get home, and post it up

I have found mine quite useful, despite reservations when I first got the car. It is true that if you go back too quickly they can be a bit difficult to judge, but who's going to reverse quickly when you're in a tight spot with something behind you! If I hear them going I instantly slow right down, think i'm gonna run over a kid or something! Normally turns out to be a hedge that I'm already aware of though. lol

I have investigated a retrofit of the original audi PDC-system but it became to expensive I thought. these are my findings (haven't actually bought or tested anything so I cant swear it is correct.)

What you need is:
The plastic insert in the bumper. Haven't found a price for this, but the partno is: 8L9-807-341-B
Then you need an ECU part.no:4B0-919-283 wich is about £70
Four ultrasound sensors: 4B0-919-275-A at about £50 each
and then the speaker 4B0-919-279 wich is around £10
And finally a cableloom wich I think you can make yourself.

Please note that the prices are swedish prices converted to £ and about a year old.

Especially the sensors seem expensive, but you can sometimes find these on ebay, also seen ECUs there. (Seems to be the same ECU and sensors for a lot of VAG cars...)

This is where I got mine from. You can choose from a wide range:

Back-only or front-and-back together

2-sensor system or 4-sensor system

audible-only warning, or visual distancew display, with audio built in

Choice of colour for display unit.

I got the 4-sensor, rear only system, with a distance display in silver. My local ICE dealer fitted it all in about 2 hours. The distance display is mounted on the funny little fold-down plastic visor above the rear-view mirror.

http://www.tgincar.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

[ QUOTE ]
jdp1962 - how do you rate this system ??
seems very reasonabley priced

[/ QUOTE ]

I rate it pretty darned good. In fact, only this morning, I wished I'd ordered a system with front sensors, as I misjudged a parking manouevre, & gouged huge chunks out of my newly-resprayed front bumper!

Hi Jeff,

Bad news about the bumper, would you be able to take a pic of what the display looks like inside your car as there doesn't seem to be any pics of installs etc on there website and it does look very good.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Jeff,

Bad news about the bumper, would you be able to take a pic of what the display looks like inside your car as there doesn't seem to be any pics of installs etc on there website and it does look very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me your email address & I'll send you some pics over the weekend