Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

revo audi a3 not putting power out?

Hi all sorry havnt been on for while been working away! Anyway had my car on rollingroad week or so ago its running stage one revo map and ment to be 190 bhp, it was peaking at 161bhp on the rolling road, any one got any ideas? I have put a new audi air mass on that wasnt cheap and it hasnt made any difference, Some one kindly keyed it aswell last night to top it off from the front wing right to the back so the full side needs respraying

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    serviced it lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Smell my finger.

Status
    Was the car in your ownership when it was mapped?
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

1st Gear

Status
    yes i service it every 5000 miles, and no it wasnt but the guy seemed genuine he was on here few times and so was his mate, not sure of there names. No reason not to believe them i think they taken the ecu's out and taken them to some where near leeds... :/

Smell my finger.

Status
    Got an invoice in the history for the car at all?

Not saying they're talking rubbish.... but they might be. Is the car running right, any boost leaks at all?
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Status
    Taken the ECU out???

Revo is serial port mapping so you don't need to remove the ECU.
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

1st Gear

Status
    You got a boost gauge in there at all?
    Now - Ford Focus RS (305 bhp) - 2009

Previous Cars

A4 2.0 TFSi S-Line (251 bhp) - 2005
    Audi A3 3.2 Quattro Sport (250 bhp) - 2004
    Ford Fiesta ST (150 bhp) - 2006
    Ford Focus ST2 (290 bhp) - 2009
    Skoda Octavia vrS (215 bhp) - 2001
    Volkswagen Golf GTi Turbo (230 bhp) - 2001

Events Moderator

Status
    also how old is the car? any car as it gets older will lose power naturally so even if it was remapped by revo - they claim increases in power from stock power figures which of course by now your car won't be running.. what are those 1.8ts standard? 150? so put it this way.. lets say that over time you've lost.. say 15-20bhp and so u were running 130.. and now ur running 161.. 31bhp is a good gain from a remap. Plus it's about how it drives and how it feels different from standard.. so it may well have been remapped after all.. also i agree warren there is no need to remove the ecu if its revo map!
    S3 8L Ming Blue 273bhp & 294lbft h

Build/project thread
    check it out!

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Sadly, I'd have to say that's not true ^^^ Early AGU engines DO need the ECU removing to be bench flashed, it's a totally different ECu to the one you guys run in your S3's.

Also

VAG 1.8T engines don't tend to lose any power with age, being turbo charged, and such a reliable engines, most will make dead on or above the quoted 150bhp figure, even after 100k miles +. My two 1.8T's have made 158 bhp and 156 bhp in standard form, at 130k and 100k respectively.

A revo mapped AGU should be making 180bhp minimum regardless of mileage. In mint condition running perfectly you're looking at 190bhp.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    MAF is always the key suspect on the AGU.... MAF not working properly, kiss power goodbye.

Had the same problem in my old A3.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

1st Gear

Status
    i have heard about the maf but i have fitted a new audi one that was 80odd quid then i was told as prawn says the early ecu's do need to be removed, i have heard storeys about the n75 valves? is there a way to check these or would it affect the car? I dont have a boost gauge and cant see/hear any visable boost leaks, although my idle is a bit rough at times?

Events Moderator

Status
    Also
    VAG 1.8T engines don't tend to lose any power with age, being turbo charged, and such a reliable engines, most will make dead on or above the quoted 150bhp figure, even after 100k miles +. My two 1.8T's have made 158 bhp and 156 bhp in standard form, at 130k and 100k respectively.

A revo mapped AGU should be making 180bhp minimum regardless of mileage. In mint condition running perfectly you're looking at 190bhp.
    Ah okay fella my mistake - I just asuned all
    Engines don't make standard power after a while. Josh
    S3 8L Ming Blue 273bhp & 294lbft h

Build/project thread
    check it out!

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Yep, Prawn is correct about the early ecu,s been bench mapped...(Although i think they have made a lead to do it now?)
    The AGU is also known to have ignition amplifier fails or failing, so maybe worth investigating? you really could do with a boost guage to see for sure its mapped
    Last edited by s3dave; 28th October 2011 at 19:17.

1st Gear

Status
    You checked for boost leaks?
    Now - Ford Focus RS (305 bhp) - 2009

Previous Cars

A4 2.0 TFSi S-Line (251 bhp) - 2005
    Audi A3 3.2 Quattro Sport (250 bhp) - 2004
    Ford Fiesta ST (150 bhp) - 2006
    Ford Focus ST2 (290 bhp) - 2009
    Skoda Octavia vrS (215 bhp) - 2001
    Volkswagen Golf GTi Turbo (230 bhp) - 2001

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JtotheD View Post
    Ah okay fella my mistake - I just asuned all
    Engines don't make standard power after a while. Josh
    No worries man, this is often the case on poorly built n/a stuff (think french, ford, vaux, that kinda thing) but doesn't seem to be the case with VAG and BMW stuff. my 3.0 M3 made 10bhp MORE than stock after 12 years and 107k, both my A3's have made well over stock in standard form, and it seems to be the case across the board with the 1.8T.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Gear

Status
    wheres the ignition amplifer? i have had quick look for boost leakes and cant see/hear any.. I dont have a boost gauge cant vagcom give a reading? Will the n75 valve affect anything?

1st Gear

Status
    sorry for all the quesitons i had a 110bhp gttdi golf before this and was cluded up on them done a bit to it, changed clutch and done few bits to do! I am just quite new to the 1.8t scence!

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Ignition amplifier is on the air filter box, little black box with a connector on it, is it spluttery at all?
    you can test boost via vag com yes block 115

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/
    Last edited by s3dave; 28th October 2011 at 20:16.

1st Gear

Status
    right i will test it on block 115, will i have to drive it to test for boost? i have a basic copy of vagcom, the car idle varies between 800-1000 rpm on tick over, its not spluttery at all to drive, i have seen the black box on the airbox, what can i do to check it? or do to it?

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    un plug and clean it, but if its not spluttering it should be fine, just take a mental note as they do fail...

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for the advice, worth a thought i am due to service it next week or so, so i will clean it then as i service it every 5k, any one changed n75 valve?

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Get your logs done before thinking about the n75 or you could be chasing probs that are not there....

www.badger5.co.uk

Status
    this is agu... no map sensor to log fella's

log airflow, see what its up to - boost gauge will confirm.. but your erratic idle is a clue also... often a vacuum leak/boost leak related
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    my money would be on a huge vacuum / boost leak from the nasty rubber pipe under the inlet for the PCV system!

i'm yet to see an AGU where this hose ISN'T split, and due t the size of the hose, it can bause a massive boost leak, and cost you considerable power!

1st Gear

Status
    thanks i will take it off and have a look tomorrow, whats the pcv system? Its in the garage but i will have a look tomorrow as its to hot now, Is it the pipe from the intercooler to the inlet?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Ignition amplifier is on the air filter box, little black box with a connector on it, is it spluttery at all?
    you can test boost via vag com yes block 115

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/m_blocks/
    Hmmm... correct me if I am wrong, but I dont believe agu has block 115
    Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro S-line - Stock! (for now)

1st Gear

Status
    sorry mis read the post, appologies will have a look when i get chance tomorrow, i dare say it wont be to visable though a leak?

1st Gear

Status
    hi i didnt have chance to look at the pcv system will do that when i get chance, i found a split on the vacume pipe to the master cylinder i have attched a pic, could this affect the boost? As the pipe comes from the inlet manifold...

Smell my finger.

Status
    my money would be on a huge vacuum / boost leak from the nasty rubber pipe under the inlet for the PCV system!

i'm yet to see an AGU where this hose ISN'T split, and due t the size of the hose, it can bause a massive boost leak, and cost you considerable power!
    I disagree, you had a feel about on mine at Bills last year....shock horror it hadnt fallen apart... must be some sort of record!!