Todays interior mod

Markb

Reaction score
Here is what I have been up to today:

speedosurround01.jpg

speedosurround02.jpg

speedosurround03.jpg

Fitting chrome dial surrounds. Hopefully it will look OK when done? Not sure though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Do you think I need some of badge on the dials like the S3?

I'll post pics when I have done.

That should look good Mark when it's done!

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Looks good mate where did you get them from as i was looking for a set.
Also how hard was the cluster to remove?

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good mate. Have you lost your job or are you on Holiday?

[/ QUOTE ]

At University mate and I'm only there 3 days a week and work 24 hours at the weekend. So have plenty of time to play around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mark,

Saw the instructions on another post, was it actually easy to remove in practice?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah quite easy, but it's a ****** to get at the connectors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thats interesting i have received a set in the post today,what did you use to stick them on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit of the old super glue LOL

Not sure on the connectors with the A3 but on the A4 it was a mare! To make it far easier, remove the fuse panel and put the connectors in/out from behind the unit and it is also easier to push the cluster out too this way!

nice one mate, makes it look a bit newer and crisper - better than I thought actually. I'm not too sure on the four rings sticker though... each to their own! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Looks good! Not sure about the white rings sticker though!

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good! Not sure about the white rings sticker though!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, love the chrome surrounds, top job, would have left the Audi Rings off though.

Still deserves a "good work fella" award /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cheers guys I think I will be removing the audi logo tomorrow if I get chance.

Maybe put an RS emblem on instead. Anyone got a good image on the RS emblem?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
noooooooooooooooooo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

The silver looks good. Sticker needs to go.

I personally wouldn't go for an RS sticker either.

When you had it apart, were you able to see the LEDs for the needles?
I want to swap my gauge needles for the S3 items so they glow white rather than red.

Actually, looking at the pics I guess its the needles that need to be changed not the LED.

I might grab a unit from a scrappy before I attempt to pull the needles of mine.

Does the dash panel insert come apart easily?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
noooooooooooooooooo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just mocked it up in Photoshop:

speedosurroundidea.jpg

I think it looks good. I wanted to do this to start with, but couldn't find a sticker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The silver looks good. Sticker needs to go.

I personally wouldn't go for an RS sticker either.

When you had it apart, were you able to see the LEDs for the needles?
I want to swap my gauge needles for the S3 items so they glow white rather than red.

Actually, looking at the pics I guess its the needles that need to be changed not the LED.

I might grab a unit from a scrappy before I attempt to pull the needles of mine.

Does the dash panel insert come apart easily?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could see the needles and it's them that need changing rather then the LEDs.

I wouldn't like to risk it though as I ended up buggering up the speedo in a Cavalier doing it once.

What do you think of the RS emblem above?

From an asthetics point of view the RS emblem is an improvement on the audi rings (which were too big and thick).

But as a general rule, I never been one for adding stickers to make the car something that it isn't. Perhaps if your car was chipped up etc then it could earn the RS logo LOL!

But its not my car so if you like it thats cool with me.

The silver rings are really nice though, they match the door handles nicely.

I'm gonna grab a busted dash panel from the breaker in the next few days and pull the needle off just out of curiosity.............also I'd need to find a set of S3 needles, which will probably be impossible anyway!!

[ QUOTE ]
Top job Mark, wanna do mine lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to do any more LOL

It was a pain to do mine trying not to get super glue every where /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Looks nice. Where can get a set from. That would match my gauges nicely.

I think the audi logo would look better if it was smaller
ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The person I got them off hasn't got anymore available else I would let you know.

how come there's an analogue clock on your revometer? I dont have one there on my 2000 1.8T???

[ QUOTE ]
how come there's an analogue clock on your revometer? I dont have one there on my 2000 1.8T???

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi updated the instruments after 2000 onwards with all the CAN BUS stuff etc.

NIce alu rings but like most are saying lose the sticker.
With regards to the needles like the S3 dont do it, its NOT an easy job. Not only will the needles nned changing the led's below them have to be replaced and they are the SMT type which are a PITA to work on.

[ QUOTE ]

With regards to the needles like the S3 dont do it, its NOT an easy job. Not only will the needles nned changing the led's below them have to be replaced and they are the SMT type which are a PITA to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god SMT LEDs!! I changed a set in a nokia phone once.....never again!!

Thanks for letting me know.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god SMT LEDs!! I changed a set in a nokia phone once.....never again!!

Thanks for letting me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nightmare LOL