Volks AutosSky Insurance
    K4OXE

Status

coil pack/spark plugs

sooo... owned the car (02plate S3) for 12 days now and had the engine managment light poke its ugly head up on the dash this morning, my friend is a recovery guy and got him to scan the codes, p0300, p0301 and p0302, so thats missfire, on 1 and 2??

how much will each coilpack cost me ? new and used prices

plus what are the best spark plugs for it??

thanks in advance knoxie

2. # ADS
    ADS

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    standard or remapped car.
    last coilpack i bought was from a VW dealer and cost me £34.

plugs depend on the level of tune. ngk bkr are popular. BKR6EIX for standard. BKR7EIX for remapped.

plugs are on ebay, 4 for around £25
    Last edited by superkarl; 26th October 2011 at 20:09.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Missfires that happen like this aren't always due to bad coilpacks... when a coil pack goes it goes and you end up with an engine that sounds like a scooby...

If its not doing that chances are it just ran rich for a second and fouled the plugs... this happens normally on cold start and especially now the colder weather is setting in... let off suddenly before the engine is warm and it will flood the cyls with fuel and you will get multiple misfires...

Plug gaps are the obvious things to check or change the plugs if you have no history of them being changed...

Plenty of threads on about these so use the search... to get you started try this thread...
    Spark plugs for s3

If the engine is running fine atm then its not likely to be coil packs... there is a recall in progress at Audi too for coil packs so it worth while giving them a call to see if they will change yours...

The fault codes you posted are:
    16684/P0300/000768 - Ross-Tech Wiki
    16685/P0301/000769 - Ross-Tech Wiki
    16686/P0302/000770 - Ross-Tech Wiki

These are typical of flooding...

Plug gaps are 0.8mm unmapped and 0.7mm on a mapped engine...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

K4OXE

Status
    wow you guys know your stuff

right, first off i believe its standard nothing on it is aftermarket, and no history to say it has been remapped,

it happed this morning and has stayed on, it sounds like a tractor, iv blagged tomo off work to see if i can get it sorted as i have to go from harlow (essex) to st ives (cornwall) on friday so need the car. and is that £34 per coilpack??

thanks knoxie

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    if it sounds like a tractor, or scooby, its likely a coilpack failing. ( i crapped myself at the noise when it first happened to me!)

a good test is to unplug coilpacks briefly to see which one has failed (failed one wont change the sound of the car) then switch a known working one with the one you think is broken, if the missfire moves, its coilpack, if it doesnt, its something up with that particular cylinder and/or coilpack wiring etc etc.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    If its still rough now then yeah, sounds like a coilpack but I would still call your local dealer and ask if you car is part of the recall...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    if it sounds like a tractor, or scooby, its likely a coilpack failing. ( i crapped myself at the noise when it first happened to me!)

a good test is to unplug coilpacks briefly to see which one has failed (failed one wont change the sound of the car) then switch a known working one with the one you think is broken, if the missfire moves, its coilpack, if it doesnt, its something up with that particular cylinder and/or coilpack wiring etc etc.
    Pull injector plugs and listen for the change in tone is the method I normally use... when the tone doesn't chaneg then you have found the iffy coilpack... lot less effort as you have to take loads off a std S3 to unplug the coilpacks...

<tuffty/>

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Pull injector plugs and listen for the change in tone is the method I normally use... when the tone doesn't chaneg then you have found the iffy coilpack... lot less effort as you have to take loads off a std S3 to unplug the coilpacks...

<tuffty/>
    never even thought of that. good call. thanks

6th Gear

Status
    I had a coil pack fail ( first one in 5 years ) on saturday.
    I pulled out to go past a parked bus when... POP chug chug chug. Like an ill scooby.
    I pulled over and Vag com'd the car.
    Not sure of the exact wording of the codes but... The findings are...
    Multiple missfire detected,
    Missfire cylinder 1 detected
    Missfire cylinder 3 detected

I swapped the coil packs of 1 and 3 for 2 and 4
    Restarted the car , still missfire, No worse but no better.
    Re vag com...
    Missfire cylinder 4 detected...
    Could only get hold of "beru" i think it is coil packs so just changed number 4 and it seems fine again.
    My plugs were changed 4 months ago so i would hope its not that?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    never even thought of that. good call. thanks
    On some cars injecter plugs are clipped together (1 and 2, 3 and 4) but easily unclipped from the plastic joiner to make it easy to do them individually...

<tuffty/>

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    yeh mine are clipped together.

paul im guessing, judging by many posts on here theres no sort of life on these coilpacks and can die at any time.
    i consider myself lucky, only 1 gone in 2 years. i tend to check my wiring aswell anytime im under the bonnet and have time, just as a precaution. they are an absolute bugger. coilpacks and mafs!

6th Gear

Status
    Do the non gen. coil packs work as well as the VAG ones or will i have a drop in power ans was changing just the one a bad idea?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I bought a set of four coil packs from Audi about 2 months after I bought my S3 and they are still in there some 30k/3years later... plug gaps are a factor here too... std gap being 0.8mm... recommendation is to drop that to 0.7mm to prevent the spark from blowing out due to higher cyl pressures from the extra boost and stresses the coil packs less... this is one of the reasons why packs tend to go shortly after a remap... granted this is subjective but larger gap and higher loads mean they work harder and thus expire quicker...

<tuffty/>

1st Gear

Status
    I have just started getting a miss fire today. When The car comes on boost it judders and pops but still gets full 22psi of boost. Checked the plugs and the ends are a white/light brown colour and the spark gap looks abit big on 3 and 4. Has anyone ever tried the bosch super 4 spark plugs? Just as i have ordered a set to pick up on friday. Hope this will sort my problem.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    You can fit mk 2 s3 coil packs which I have done

Smoother running, more reliable spark and able to run a wide gas so i have been told
    Last edited by Andrew@A.L.D; 26th October 2011 at 21:49.
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    You can fit mk 2 s3 coil packs which I have done

Smoother running, more reliable spark and able to run a wide gas so i have been told
    Dont you have to buy spacers to go with the mk2 coil pack tho? Expensive i have been told

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy_s3 View Post
    Dont you have to buy spacers to go with the mk2 coil pack tho? Expensive i have been told
    You don't have to but TFSI coils packs are taller and will flap about a little... you can also use the ECS coil pack clamps if you make up some spacers (bit of steel tube) for the bolts..

It is reported that you can run a 1.0mm gap which leads to a better burn... part of the TFSI emissions and fuel economy drive...

Its suggested that this gives more power... I believe Bill will be testing this soon on the Lupo and I shall be giving it a go too... befores and afters :D

<tuffty/>

1st Gear

Status
    Any thoughts on Bosch super 4 spark plugs?

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Each coil pack cost £34 each at Audi/VW total = £136

Coilpacks and adaptors from IE in the US is $154.98/£97.04 P&P $40.50/£25.37 Duty and tax £25ish = £147.41 ....£11 ish more

Not that much more than a set of coilpacks in the UK

FOR SALE
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    NGK's all day long...

<tuffty/>

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    NGK's all day long...

<tuffty/>
    2nd that

More info about the coilpack conversion that i will be running

:| INA - 1.8T to 2.0T Coil Pack Adapters (TECH & FAQ) - INTRO PRICING |: - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum

FOR SALE

1st Gear

Status
    2nd that

More info about the coilpack conversion that i will be running

:| INA - 1.8T to 2.0T Coil Pack Adapters (TECH & FAQ) - INTRO PRICING |: - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum
    When will you be trying this? if these plugs dont fix my problem then i will be looking for new coilpack and if this turns out to be better than i may aswell follow you down this route

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I'm doing a bit of work to my car as it needed a new clutch and valve guides so when its done i should have the coilpacks then so i will let you know but a final mapping will tell once done so i will try the 1mm gap and see?

FOR SALE

1st Gear

Status
    Cool, i will keep an eye on it

K4OXE

Status
    thanks everyone, fixed it all today and seems to be running all good very impressed with this forum so far

fast accurate responses, not filled with aload of sh%t talking keyboard warriors think il be sticking around

much love knoxie

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    we all get alone on here mate

FOR SALE

Neutral

Status
    I'll never be buying any Bosch plugs again..

And this happenned whilst tightening it, Halfway down the thread, No resistance and suddenly heard a crunching noise so stopped and withdrew the socket and the threaded part was sat down in the hole still! Never buying anything other than NGK from now on!

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    What number NKG spark plug do i need? I know i need these BKR6EIX but theirs several different numbers, 6418, 3764 etc!
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I run bkr7evx

FOR SALE

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I run bkr7evx
    Only 7's? I would have thought 8's at your power levels... I run BKR8EIX

<tuffty/>

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I thought the same but Paul at RS said they were fine

I have to bed in a few things on my engine so when its done i'll fit some 8's

FOR SALE

3rd Gear

Status
    std gap being 0.8mm... recommendation is to drop that to 0.7mm

<tuffty/>

It is reported that you can run a 1.0mm gap which leads to a better burn... part of the TFSI emissions and fuel economy drive...

<tuffty/>
    Does this suggest reducing the gap from 0.8mm to 0.7mm on a 1.8T when running 1.8T coil packs will reduce emissions and economy? Is less strain on the coil packs the only advantage to reducing the gap?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vanilla_ice View Post
    Does this suggest reducing the gap from 0.8mm to 0.7mm on a 1.8T when running 1.8T coil packs will reduce emissions and economy? Is less strain on the coil packs the only advantage to reducing the gap?
    Normally run a 0.7mm gap on normal 20v coil packs on a remapped engine... this prevents the spark from being blown out due to higher boost pressures as well as not over stressing the 20v coil packs as much... doubt it will have any affect on emissions on 20v coils... arguably the TFSI coils give a better economy purely based on a stronger spark/better burn setup but in practice it will be subjective at best... my setup is probably not the best to compare with due to it begin slightly different to what most will be using...

<tuffty/>

3rd Gear

Status
    Today I recieved some BKR7EIX plugs.

I had a look at the packaging and I'm confused by one of the warnings on the back:

Does it mean the plugs cannot be re-gapped (to 0.7mm)?

I presume they can be, but is a normal feeler gauge OK?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vanilla_ice View Post
    Today I recieved some BKR7EIX plugs.

I had a look at the packaging and I'm confused by one of the warnings on the back:

Does it mean the plugs cannot be re-gapped (to 0.7mm)?

I presume they can be, but is a normal feeler gauge OK?
    That just means you shouldn't leaver the electrode from the iridium tip as you will break it...

You need to close the gap anyway to 0.7mm as they should be pre gapped to 0.8mm

<tuffty/>

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry to bring up a old post, the methord Tuffty said to use, with removing the injector plugs to find out which coil pack is down is so good!!
    I have just had the exact problem described in this thread used Tufftys Methord, and have sussed out which coil is down. Im chuffed Thanks.