AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

Very similar reply to westys turbo reply from turbo dynamics...

I sent my turbo off to turbo dynamics , the same place as westy did in his build thread, i have a KO4 off a BAM S3, now i received a phone call that was almost exactly the same as westy described in his thread on page 2 explaining same cracks as him, now id read that thread before hand and asked him to send me pictures to show me and it might just be me but after comparing the photos against each other there was some very close similarities as to were the cracks were on both sets of pictures, take a look at westys build thread page two and mine, am i just being paranoid that theyre trying to rip me off or am i right to have suspitions ?
    Ive turned the top picture upside down to help compare to westys picture, please let me no your thoughts, thanks

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Yours...

Westy's...

Yours...
    [IMG]

Westy's...

Westy's looks like its been cleaned where as yours hasn't... the turbine opening is difficult to tell tbh but.... looking at the crack patterns for the wastegate, yours and his look fairly similar...

In fairness I have seen a few turbo housing and they do crack in more or less the same places... this is partially due to there being inherent weaknesses in the housings that affect all housings

Here is a pic on my K04 after I removed it to go BT... you can see its cracked in the same place...

...and of course on my GT30...

Fact is, they crack... feck all that can be done really other than make sure EGT's are well under control which is difficult enough on K04's tbh

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Can't you go and have alook at the turbo yourself,so you can see the issues?

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I would love to but im in coventry and there in dorset and without my car would be difficult and would maybe be an unnecessary cost, to a spiralling cost as it is, suppose ill have to bite the bullet and get a new one, i just wondered if its the same story this company uses to rake in more cash from each turbo they get but i guess after youve sent it its hard to proove or disprove the honesty of the person on the other end of the phone and whether what they say is just something they say to everyone, it does look like a weak point on the turbos so it could be true, anyone know the best place to get a standard replacement from ?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    You can always inspect the turbo yourself for cracks... whilst not taking it apart of course its easy to see where there are cracks on the turbine housing and maybe take pics of distinguishing marks too...

That said, TD are a reputable company and I am sure they aren't deliberately trying to rip you off.. these turbos run very hot when mapped (and even when not!!) so cracks will always happen especially as they are a few years old with 10's of thousands of miles on the clock...

CR Turbos do hybrids for 700/800 quid IIRC and refurb std turbos for 400/500 ish (can't remember the exact figures off hand)... maybe worth giving them a call?

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Or any1 from on hear that live in dorset could mayby go have alook,take there own photos?,but same i would'nt think so!,how come you sent it of in the first place?

Audi S3- 1.8T Quattro
    Liquid Yellow
    Audi R8 Rims

Its never finished!

Reverse Gear

Status
    yeah i will try them first thing before i ring turbo dynamics, thanks for help

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I'm from cov too BD! Looking at your pics makes me wanna check my turbo! TD are meant to be pretty good tbh! Was you looking to go hybrid?
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gops View Post
    I'm from cov too BD! Looking at your pics makes me wanna check my turbo! TD are meant to be pretty good tbh! Was you looking to go hybrid?
    Where abouts?
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

Goodie Gum Drops

Status
    These look like the same sort of cracks i found when i removed my KO4, Midland turbo rebuilt mine with a new hot side and 360 bearing for under £500
    Black S3

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    All K04 turbos crack in more or less the same place sadly... As Tuffty already said, a problem with running hot on maps.

My wastegate went in identical places also on my K04.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BD's S3 View Post
    I would love to but im in coventry and there in dorset and without my car would be difficult and would maybe be an unnecessary cost, to a spiralling cost as it is, suppose ill have to bite the bullet and get a new one, i just wondered if its the same story this company uses to rake in more cash from each turbo they get but i guess after youve sent it its hard to proove or disprove the honesty of the person on the other end of the phone and whether what they say is just something they say to everyone, it does look like a weak point on the turbos so it could be true, anyone know the best place to get a standard replacement from ?
    they look "similar" but not the same... so your turbo is cracked..
    Its what they do... check your egt's and afr's when you get it back
    Westies was running v.high egt's because of a crap map which had no fuel adjustments made to it, which ran lean, very hot and exhaust hot sides will suffer badly..

check under load with logging and on dyno if you have the chance..
    wideband car you can log it yourself, narrowband will need a wideband lambda connected to check

If you were coming to the dyno day here for example (I know you cant cos you have no turbo on the car) this sort of thing is logged and checked. Somewhere local to you could do this also I think
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

K1 Driver

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    Turbo Dynamics tried ripping me off with my K04 when it needed repairing! They hadn't even seen the turbo and they told me i would need to buy a new K04 off the shelf from them. Turbo Dynamics and Turbo Developments said the same thing! So i went with CR Turbo's and they said it was bo**ocks because they have every part there to rebuild the turbo! They were telling the truth and it all got resolved by CR, not 1 problem since!
    Inferi Black Cupra K1

Click here for more Troo-Pics!