An alternative to stretch bolts?

16Klappe

Man Boost!
Supporter
Reaction score
My car hates me.

Need to do the stretch bolts for the manifold to turbo as well as the gasket, the one nearest the head has decided it doesn't want to turn. They are clearly all shagged because when putting pressure on the seized one you can physically see the turbo twisting and wiggling under the pressure. Oh that and the monster exhaust leak lol!

So does anybody know of an alternative? Could I Nord-Lock standard bolts? But I need them ASAP :(

Bill to the rescue?

Last edited:
Bill has these in stock normally and nords... the bolts are of a specific hardness IIRC...

He will be at the unit tomorrow so best give him a ring on his mobile

<tuffty/>

Thanks Paul, legend! I'll give him a ring tomorrow, any ideas on price?

Can I pick your brains on manifolds too? I have a 1.8T High Flow Transverse Manifold - THSCMA-18T-TV at the moment but it is SUCH a pain, my manifold studs are stretched and I need to nip them up every now and then. Which isn't a big deal to me, but there is no clearance to get a ring spanner or socket on them because the nuts/studs are so close to the casting. It takes me a good couple of hours on a ramp to do it properly.

Thinking of taking it off and selling it and buying either a JBS, or a cheap ebay special equal length manifold because the clearance LOOKS better. Just wondered if you had any experience with them and would recommend them. My car will have a KO3s hybrid on it by April next year.

Thanks bud :)

Bill has been using Frankenturbo ones recently... has one fitted to the Lupo and recently fitted one to an Ibiza thats being mapped tomorrow...

They are similar to that one tbh but no idea what the differences may be or which one is better or worse...

JBS one looks ok but the collector seems restrictive tbh and Bill didn't see anything different performance wise as far as I know... in fact he removed it and sold it...

The bolt closest to the head is always a ****** on these mani's... normally have to fit that bolt prior to fitting the mani as you normally can't get it in once in place due to the collector block being higher up the engine...

TBH Bill's ported OEM mani's seem to do as well as any others and being OEM at least you know they should last a little while...

<tuffty/>

Hmm, I know a lot of the Seat boys use the JBS manifolds but then again they'll buy anything with a brand name on it. :yes:

I will have a good chat with Bill tomorrow, I need to pick his brains and want a quote from him for building me a hybrid and mapping. I might try and flow myself a standard manifold and see how I get on, and if it doesn't work then who cares. I wish I could see and look at one of these manifolds to see if there is a difference :(

Bill to the rescue!!!!

Excellent work, should have these Thursday :) Legend.